dentist

LDeMor

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:31 pm
A dentist I used has taken complete advantage of me and my family. I have never had problems with my teeth , minus a few cavities. I met her and all the sudden I had to have two root canals. Neither one of these were bothering me yet she said it had to be done. She was paid, she overcharged me (this isn't even that important atm), I started having pain. The dentist was contacted continually . I suppose after a year she got tired of hearing from me so I would call saying how much pain I was in then she would call in pain pills. Thing is the pain pills did not alleviate the pain. I was miserable. Finally went back in to see her and all the sudden I needed another root canal. So I sat , shots, nitrous .....I was in even more pain. Long story short, she never gave me a root canal. She did whatever but didn't give me a root canal. So on top of the pain I was already feeling, my pain intensified 300%. Two months I couldn't eat or sleep , that is how bad the pain was. I finally after 3 doctors and get this ( one dentist didn't take xrays ...I went to him thinking he will find out why I hurt. Yeah he was a winner. He looked in my mouth (now mind you my pallet was beyond swollen along with the side of my face) and said oh I see your problem. Your cap is ill fitting. WHAT???? lol. Yes he was an idiot. So finally found a good dentist ( btw the Doctors who are not Dentists told me what was wrong) he took an xray and found that the root canal was not ever done. Along with that I was sent to a DDS,PA . He was a good Dr. Now I am out almost 8k because I had to have everything redone from Dentist #1. Now I have a collection agency contacting me because my insurance won't pay because they already paid for this . I called my insurance , received letters , ect, ect, saying dentist #1 said the root canal was charged in error and would reimburse me. I am still out money and on top of that the D.D.S, P.A sent me to collections because of my insurance said to wait 6 weeks then it should be worked out. Dentist #2 knew the situation before hand and I called them at least once every two weeks and sent in the letters between me and the insurance company. I am getting harassed by a collection agency now. Both of these dentists have violated the FTA. PDP paid $987 , I should have been charged $407. Yet I was charged $500+. Each time. I have lost a tooth because she gave a root canal but it wasn't done correctly. The tooth had an infection growing from the inside out. How gross. I saw the tooth and the infection looked like a vine growing from the inside out. The other dentist I was referred to (the one who turned me into collections because of dentist #1) took advantage of us also. I missed an appt. Yes I missed it by mere minutes, spoke with them , no prob lets reschedule. Then they call on Fri (my appt on Monday) saying there will be a charge. No problem..I was expecting 25 maybe 50. NO $200 charge for extenuating circumstances. Went in with my daughter that Monday and they refused to see us unless I post dated a check or put the scrupulous $200 on my credit card. I told them look I have to pay the dentist to finish my work o n my teeth tomorrow and I don't have an extra $200 . When I refused to pay them the older lady started yelling as we walked out. They said unless you pay we will not finish the job. Yet he was paid in full by me , did half a job , then submitted it to insurance as a done deal. They in turn charged me another 200 dollars for them refusing to finish the job they started on my daughter. In the end I got screwed again because I had to borrow $438 from my father. As I stated I am now out around 8k, ' So basically I am still in pain from my teeth and dentist #1 lack of ethics/training/. Dentist #2 violated the FTA by #1 committing insurance fraud for a job half done and #2 for charging outrageous fees. ( Mind you he was paid in full on our part of the bill on both cases, I have the receipts.) Then he submitted to my insurance as job completed (yes I called the insurance company) yet he would not treat my daughter until we paid an extra $438. Then he turns me into collections and wants $1275. The collection fee + what my insurance would have paid if he would have paid attention as I did call them every 2 weeks , sent them copies of my communication with my insurance (via letters). Then charged $200 plus when I could not pay the $200 and they told me to leave, they turned around and charged me another $200 for a missed appt fee. Its sad really.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:29 am
Contact the Better Business Bureau.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:35 am
Root canals don't work, at best you'll keep a tooth for a couple extra years of inter-mitten pain and expense.
Most of us learn that the hard way though.
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 05:14 am
@wayne,
wrong and misleading.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:55 am
@wayne,
I still have teeth that had root canals done in the early 80's.
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 10:16 am
@Butrflynet,
Ditto. I have had 3 root canals on different teeth - all of which are now 100% problem-free for decades.

Just because one individual has had a bad dentist or has had a bad dental experience doesn't mean others should avoid root canals and declare them ineffective or unnecessary. That advice is a disservice and inaccurate.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
Suit yourself; that they don't work is an overstatement, yes, but it isn't just one person's experience. I've known as many people who've had them not last as any who have had them last, personal experience included.
Glad to hear you've had good experience with them.
Questioner

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:51 pm
@wayne,
The problem with root canals is they are frequently done in lieu of pulling a tooth. If there's enough tooth to salvage, and proper care is taken, a root canal can last quite awhile.

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 08:02 pm
@Questioner,
i've had three root-canals done by three different dentists in the 80's and 90's and have had no problems ( touching wood ) .
two of the root-canals were done WITHOUT a needle - and were painless !
hbg
Questioner

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 08:36 pm
@hamburgboy,
I've had 5 myself. All with a needle but yes, were utterly painless.

However, 1 of them actually needed more extensive care than a root canal, which is what I think wayne was talking about. I've since had to get it pulled and am scheduled for an implant in a few months. If I had just gotten the thing pulled at the outset (it only lasted about a year) it would have saved me several hundred dollars and would have been all patched up by now.

0 Replies

aacs

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:37 am
@LDeMor,
You should report the fraud at least to the local authorities. If possible make this story public with your local newspaper.
0 Replies