ARMS AND THE MAN . . . OR THE WOMAN . . .

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:50 pm
War . . . Huh!
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothin'!
Say it again . . .

I'm putting this in this forum, because i don't know that it really fits anywhere else, and it's not about history, although that particular, drab muse can instruct us somewhat.

I wan't to stress that i've not done this in any ulterior attempt to solicit people's personal accounts of their experience of war. Rather, i want to consider what it does, specifically, to the individual swept up. I say swept up, because i surely doubt that anyone experiencing war for the first time has any valid, prior concept of what they will meet. In the Civil War, it was known as "goin' ta see the elephant . . .," meaning, of course, as almost no Americans then had seen an elephant, that it couldn't be described to you, you had to see it for yourself.

There was a war biography republished by some military history book house in 1996 entitled Those Devils in Baggy Pants, by a certain Ross Carter. It was originally published posthumously in 1951. Mr. Carter died of cancer within a few years of returning from Europe, at the age of about 27 or 28. In particular, the account of the battle back to the East through Belgium in the winter of 1944-45 was a haunting, horrifying picture. This was during what was the most brutal, prolonged fighting of the war for Americans. Mr. Carter was a member of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He was one of three men to survive the war from the original complement sent to North Africa in 1942.

Paratroopers in that war were very proud of the fact that they fought always surrounded, always cut off, and pretty much on the resources they brought in with them. The 101st Airborne Divison was sent to Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge because no one had any doubt that they would be cut off, surrounded. 'Nother day at the office for them. Mr. Carter's 504th PIR was part of the 82nd Airborne Divison, and was a Commando regiment, as well. If one can read such an account, not only as simple "oral" history (in the sense of being a single voice), and one can also read the author's recollection of how he changed, a young man in his mid-20's, through the experiences--then one can see beyond the "glory" addiction of many enthusiasts of military history. It is about the reality, and the individual, that i am concerned.

Probably the best movie ever made on the subject of the individual's experience of war was John Huston's The Red Badge of Courage, which "starred" Audie Murphy. Mr. Murphy was the most "decorated" American soldier of the Second World War; he returned to the U.S. a celebrity, a real, live hero, a living Medal of Honor holder. He became a hot young star of Westerns, the showcase of the leading man in the day. In The Red Badge of Courage, he played The Youth. His companion in the script, The Loud Soldier, was played by Bill Mauldin. Mr. Mauldin had gone to North Africa, and served through the war, with the 45th Division (National Guard), from west Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. He worked for the Divison newspaper, and was a cartoonist, best known for his collection of war cartoons, Up Front. For those who are familiar with it, i recommend Back Home, the "sequel." Wasn't nearly so popular. Mr. Mauldin has recounted that after he and
Mr. Murphy became good friends, he would receive phone calls from him sporadically; they kept in touch. He tells us that Mr. Murphy once confided in him that, for seven years, he had not slept, but only knocked himself out pharmaceutically when his body needed rest. For those who can stomach the Hollywood Glory version of Mr. Murphy's experience of the war, there is To Hell and Back.

So how does war affect the individual? What has happened to him (or her), what has "been done?" Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 868 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
Setanta--

I can't give a long and reasoned comment right now. My karma is overrunning my dogma.

There have been several stories in the newspapers lately about National Guard troups abusing Afghani and Iraqi prisoners.

The body counts in both "just" wars are mounting up. So are the numbers of physically wounded. No one can total the psychic outrages that are being committed by "normal" American soldiers.

Beating unresisting prisoners is brutal. The G.I.'s accused have been found guilty.

Buth they were not given the training to summon compassion.

War is hell.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:20 am
Setanta, The most important aspect of The Red Badge of Courage was the fact that Crane had no war experience. I identified with that book, because the main character was "..an unknown quantity..." and that courage had nothing to do with being wounded.

The only personal experience that I have had with war is what I have been told of my brother and having read his letters to my father. He was in the Signal Corps in WWII. One of his letters involved a hand made pipe organ that he saw in the Philippines. He wrote a detailed description and I can close my eyes and picture that as I write.

I read The Longest Day, and was taken by the fact that one of the paratroopers, upon landing, saw that his leg had been split open, and he poured sulfa in it, and closed the wound with safety pins. Wow! that impressed me because in times of war, the man on the front line has adrenalin going for him.

I personally knew a young man that went to Nam. He went in, a kid, and became a drug addict. He didn't talk about it much, but I noticed that he had some sort of braided bracelet on his arm, which he later explained as a gift from an opiate dealer who was pleased that he had kicked the habit.

I suppose that my thoughts on war can be summed up in a quote that I will paraphrase. It is the irony of war that it takes man's best, to do man's worst.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:07 pm
and where did Setanta go? buried in the snow....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
Naw, we ain't got much snow here, Miss Letty . . .

Usually, when i start a thread such as this, i want to give others the opportunity to respond without comment from me. In particular, when i end my initial posts with leading questions such as you see above, it's a solicitation of sorts.

I think this one has proven a non-starter, though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:12 pm
No, Setanta. It's the non starter which carries the most impact.
0 Replies