Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:10 am
why do most of them say family owned. wuts the diffrence

View best answer, chosen by bam52468
Questioner

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 01:42 pm
@bam52468,
They're family owned as opposed to owned by a company or corporation.

Why, going to run into one and scream that your mom made you wear a diaper?
chai2
  Selected Answer

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:17 pm
Serious answer.

A business like a funeral parlor will do better if they are family owned. The bereaved, right or wrongly tend to feel they will get more personalized, warm service.
If a local business is family owned, they tend to have more ties to the community than a large anonymous corporation.

The community they are in knows/believes they will do a good job because they personally know them, their kids attend the same school, they go to the same church. They are familiar to them at a very hard time.

As far the family that owns the business, they have the security of workinig together, knowing their customers and the complicated relationship that may exist.

MMarciano

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@Questioner,
Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:29 pm
@chai2,
Very true.
0 Replies

Questioner

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:38 pm
@chai2,
Yes, despite my aggravation at the individual asking the question, this is a very accurate answer. My preference has always been family-owned for the last 3 funerals I've had to be a part of.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 03:43 pm
@chai2,
That is how I've always experienced them.

A girl I went to school with now runs her family's funeral home. We always thought it creepy when we were in middle school that they lived upstairs in the building.

And yes we have used their services. Ties to community and knowing them - just like chai2 said.
0 Replies

wayne

Thu 29 Sep, 2011 03:13 am
Oh man, can you just imagine; franchised funeral parlors, or maybe one in the front of Wal-Mart, next to the eye glasses place.
Questioner

Thu 29 Sep, 2011 07:31 am
@wayne,
Unfortunately yes, I can. There is such a thing as too much capitalism. I hope none of us live to see it.
chai2

Thu 29 Sep, 2011 09:41 am
@Questioner,
Even sadder, people will use it.
0 Replies