It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance

in Australia
A life sentence is 25 years

in Japan
the age of consent is 13 !!!!

in Italy
A man may be arrested for wearing a skirt

in connecticut (usa)
You cannot buy any alcohol after 9pm or on Sundays after noon on Sunday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,642 • Replies: 15
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:54 pm
In Missouri it was illegal to carry a concealed weapon longer tha 5 feet
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:54 pm
In Connecticut, that law is an improvement. It used to be, when I was growing up, that the entire state was shut down on Sundays. The 9pm law is only for store bought alcohol. You can still be served in bars and restaurants.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
In Michigan last summer, I tried to buy a bottle of booze from a Meijer on a Sunday, about 11:45 AM. Not knowing the law, I tried to use an unmanned do it yourself checkout lane. I was approached by a rather angry looking person who snatched the bottle away, saying there was no liquor sales before noon on Sunday.

Stupid laws. I cannot ship wine to Michigan either.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
Re: dumb laws
sir-drinks-alot wrote:
in england
It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance

I'd like to find out what made it a crime for a woman to eat chocolates.

In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission. I found this in a couple of places on the Internet, I don't know if this is true or not.
0 Replies

sirdrinksalot

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:10 am
Quote:
The 9pm law is only for store bought alcohol. You can still be served in bars and

well in england the law is i bit better than that you can't buy alcohol anywhere after 11pm sunday's it's 4pm for shops and 6pm for pubs
and clubs
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:52 am
In Arkansas....after midnight on Sat's you can't by alcohol. The only way you get around this law is if you are in an establishment that serves food/alcohol after those hours.

Thus the reason we now have lil paradise and knife clubs that are selling "hot wings"....lol
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:56 am
New Mexico used to prohibit package sales on Sundays, but permitted bar sales. Talk about a bunch of nasty drunks on Sunday night. All we got were the stone alcoholics that couldn't remember to stock up on Saturday.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
BTW....there is sopposed to be a hanging law still on the books in Arkansas. It has to do with a man mating with a sheep......its a hanging offense.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:08 am
My next vacation is Japan.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 11:57 am
They still hang people there Slappy.
0 Replies

angliz0801

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:19 pm
There are several dumb laws in Texas, but two that stick outin my mind were:
You can't eat ice cream with a fork while riding in a boat. (this supposedly came from some senators daughter doing just that and it poked through the roof of her mouth and killed her)
And the other one is that it is illegal to tie you camel off to a light post within the city limits.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:29 am
Last year, NYC lifted the ban on alcohol sales on Sundays. Instead, liquor stores are required to close another day of the week.
Liquor stores aren't allowed to sell beer and grocery stores aren't allowed to sell hard liquor or wine. Grocery stores still aren't allowed to sell beer before noon on Sundays.

In NYC we can't smoke in any indoor public place. That includes bars and clubs. But Guiliani was a cigar smoker so they made a loophole for him. You can still smoke in cigar lounges and hotels for the "purpose of tasting." The NYC elite regularly break the rules in the own elite parties and get away with it.

In NYC you also aren't allowed to have 2 or more people dancing in places that serve alcohol and don't have a club licnense. Basically, if you're serving alcohol, you need a license to dance.

In South Korean women are not allowed to smoke outdoors.

In Singapore, last time I went about 10 years ago, chewing gun was illegal and there was a $300 fine for not flushing public toilets.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:42 am
Lots more here.

Strange Laws
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:45 am
farmerman wrote:
In Missouri it was illegal to carry a concealed weapon longer tha 5 feet

*LOL* I would think the length alone would make that difficult and negate any need for a law about it!

A lot of these laws are pretty whacky! But entertaining to read about. Wink
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:51 am
Caprice, I interpreted that differently than you did, I thought it meant that you could not carry a concealed weapon (say a handgun) more than five feet from say, your front door.

I'm early to bed tonight so that I can rise early in the morning when all Englishmen are obliged by law to spend two hours each sunday morning at archery practice, so that in the event of invasion by an enemy force we will be able to defend our land.
0 Replies