The speed of light? Can it be broken?

toivowillmann

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 08:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Gentlemen:

There is still hope to break the “light barreer”:
* According to Special Reltivity Theory, everything, the resting mass of which is not equal to “0″, becomes heavier and heavier, its mass increasing up to infinity, the more closer to light velocity it were accelerated.
* This is nonsense! Because in the nature there does not exist any function that really goes to infinity. All “goes-to-infinity functions” of anything break down (earlier or later) at very hight values, but nevertheless nothing “infinite”!
* I expect that the Real Special Relativity Theory also behaves so.
Matter, accelerated more and more, once will reach light velocity, having very high but not “infinite” mass.
* Accelarating such matter, at light velocity, even more it will superate the light velocity and simply disappear, like in Science Fiction, because nothing at higher velocity than light can stay in our universe, because of Relativty Theory. Such matter will break the barreer of our universe and escape from it. Where to go ? I don’t know.
* Let’s have a try in a particle accelerator, using electrons, because their resting mass is about 1,800 times lower than that of a proton. We’ll accelerate and accelerate and suddenly there iso no electron any more. Where did it got to ? Don’t know, but we succeeded.
*How much energy we’ll need ? I expect, when electron, because of its increasing mass, becomes its own Black Hole, able to break the barreer of our universe, will be sufficient. Note: not even mass increases and time slows down, near to light velocity, but the space dimensions of any object become smaller and smaller, making the object more and more compact. This will help us to transform the electron into a black hole.
* Risks ? I do not think that there are. I expect that such tiny black holes will be unstable in our universe and vanish from it, before spoiling anything on our planet.

If my theory were somehow infantile, this is, because I am a simple Ph.D in Chemistry, not in Theoretical and Quantum Physics.

Yours truly:

Toivo Willmann
rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:43 am
@toivowillmann,
toivowillmann wrote:
If my theory were somehow infantile, this is, because I am a simple Ph.D in Chemistry, not in Theoretical and Quantum Physics.

Nice disclaimer. Based on what you've said so far... don't quit your day job Wink
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:26 pm
..but!!!

Tachyon are faster than light and even predicted over ~50 years ago!
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

..but!!!

Yet never found.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:18 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

..but!!!

Yet never found.
..yet!

You see, in quantum entanglement it is proven that entangled atoms will immediately respond to stimuli no matter how far they are apart, proving that there must be something about the postulation about Tachyons.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 07:48 am
@HexHammer,
Entanglement is an interesting effect. But it doesn't prove anything about tachyons. It only proves there's something about entanglement that we don't yet understand. Tachyons have never been found, and in my opinion, that's because they don't exist.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:13 pm
@rosborne979,
Even if Tachyons doesn't exist, it still proves that there is "something" faster than light, even if it's teleportation.
thack45

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
@Thomas,
well there you go
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:37 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Tachyons have never been found, and in my opinion, that's because they don't exist.

I could say same about time, but man can that rub some people the wrong way
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 07:51 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Even if Tachyons doesn't exist, it still proves that there is "something" faster than light, even if it's teleportation.
No it doesn't. There might not be anything moving through space at all. We don't understand entanglement well enough yet. I've read that information isn't transferred through entanglement (so it can not be used as a switching mechanism in quantum machines) which tells me that they haven't even been able to define what is happening yet.

And besides all that, there could be dimensional interactions below the levels we can perceive which negate the very concept of "distance" or "space". There's too much we still don't know at this level.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:27 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

No it doesn't. There might not be anything moving through space at all. We don't understand entanglement well enough yet. I've read that information isn't transferred through entanglement (so it can not be used as a switching mechanism in quantum machines) which tells me that they haven't even been able to define what is happening yet.

And besides all that, there could be dimensional interactions below the levels we can perceive which negate the very concept of "distance" or "space". There's too much we still don't know at this level.
You don't have any definitive knowledge to refude my claim, as it would suggest you have prove which you have not.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 05:53 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

You don't have any definitive knowledge to refude my claim, as it would suggest you have prove which you have not.
You don't have knowledge to make the claim in the first place, so I don't have to refute anything.
0 Replies

toivowillmann

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 05:56 am
@HexHammer,
Dear Friend HexHammer:

Tachyons may exist or not. But if they exist, they are quite useless to transport anything, their imaginary mass (its value is not a real but an imaginary number) makes quite impossible to use them for anything.

Yours truly:

Dr. Toivo Willmann
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:20 am

more importantly, can it be fixed if it is broken
Krumple

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I find it interesting that all around us is "light" that we can not see. Radio waves are really light but our eyes/brain are not able to pick them up without using a tool/radio.

The part that interests me is how "light" gets the energy to instantly travel at the rate that it does. I wonder if the "speed of light" is the bare minimum, a sort of lazy state for light, and if you could input additional energy some how, that you could travel faster.

Why is it a photon can have such speed and impact a wall without causing the wall to absorb this tremendous amount of energy? Sure there is a very tiny amount of heat generated when a photon smashes into an object but it is not noticable until billions follow it.

How can they be redirected at such a fast rate? How can they rebound without losing any velocity?

When you get stuck thinking of light as only a particle, consequences pop up that the "common sense" part of our brain can't grasp or make sense of. But when you consider light acting and behaving like a field of material like water then many things you couldn't explain as a particle now start to make some sense.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 07:41 am
@toivowillmann,
toivowillmann wrote:

Dear Friend HexHammer:

Tachyons may exist or not. But if they exist, they are quite useless to transport anything, their imaginary mass (its value is not a real but an imaginary number) makes quite impossible to use them for anything.
I find that "imaginary" part, that scientists just use the word as a substetute for "we don't have a clue what's going on, on sub-quark lvl. We have only theorized super strings, but there are more".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:44 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
The part that interests me is how "light" gets the energy to instantly travel at the rate that it does. I wonder if the "speed of light" is the bare minimum, a sort of lazy state for light, and if you could input additional energy some how, that you could travel faster.

Why is it a photon can have such speed and impact a wall without causing the wall to absorb this tremendous amount of energy? Sure there is a very tiny amount of heat generated when a photon smashes into an object but it is not noticable until billions follow it.

It's because photons are massless. Things that are massless exist at the speed of light by default. They can exist no other way because the tiniest bit of force would instantly accelerate them to infinite velocity (f=ma). Time also doesn't flow (exist) at the speed of light, so massless particles (if they can really be called particles) don't age and don't change.

It's not accurate to think of the speed of light as an arbitrary speed above a resting state when you're considering the massless particles themselves. It's more accurate to realize that the resting state for the massless world is outside of our space-time dimension entirely and that the "speed of light" is really just an artifact of space-time relativistic energy levels (an energy barrier). Our Universe doesn't have a physical edge, but it does have an energy edge, and the "Speed of Light" is that edge.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 08:40 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

more importantly, can it be fixed if it is broken

Do you have the money to buy it if you break it?
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
The mystery of CERN has been solved.
The erroneous data was from technical difficulties.
Two Technical Problems Leave Neutrinos’ Speed in Question

Now if I may, my opinion on the speed of light is that special theory of relativity says that something with mass not equal to zero can not go at the speed of light. To get from from a speed of v1 to speed v2 is to go through all of the speeds in between, this means that this alone pretty much prevents slow-moving particles from exceeding the speed of light, and this would also prevent particles going faster than the speed of light to drop below the speed of light.
The main problem, however, is energy. Adding energy to ordinary matter increases speed, and reducing energy of ordinary matter reduces speed, eventually reaching the rest state (the minimum energy state) of ordinary matter at v=0. However, adding energy to a tachyon decreases speed, but reducing energy of tachyonic matter increases speed, eventually reaching the rest state (minimum energy) of tachyons at v=.
So there you go, most physicists don't think tachyons exist because they violate causality.

Now to the funny stuff.
http://www.calamitiesofnature.com/archive/650.jpg

Peace
0 Replies