Free antivirus program for Windows XP?..... Advice, please.

trying2learn

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:24 am
@msolga,
I use IE, Safari and Firefox on my pc which is XP. Avast, thanks I will look into that even though there is nothing on my pc which I really care about. There is no personal info, passwords, etc. The same goes for my mac.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:41 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
This is a talkative program.
It just told me, in the most cheerful way: "Your scan has now been completed!" Smile

Yeah ... you can turn that cheeriness off if you want.

Also, when you downloaded it in Firefox, you downloaded the program into the "downloads" folder you designated in your Firefox options. (Options>General>Downloads>Save files to)
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:03 am
@Ticomaya,
Yes, parados (a few posts above) suggested the option of turning the cheery voice off ...

Soon, I think. Wink

And you're right about my problems with Firefox, Tico.
I managed to download & "save" it, but couldn't find any Firefox "run" options.
Perhaps someone with more expertise in these things would have known what to do next, but I didn't. (still don't, actually)

Anyway, I'm now very pleased to have free antivirus protection up & running, for the first time ever. (hooray! Very Happy )

Thank you so much for your help.
And to everyone else who posted information, too.
Thank you!
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 07:43 am
@msolga,
When you download a program or file in FF, you should see the downloaded file in either a separate window, or in my case, in the download "statusbar." I have a FF add-on called "Download Statusbar." You can "run" the downloaded program by double-clicking on the file in the download window, or the statusbar.

Or, you can navigate to your download folder (as designated in your FF options) and run the program from there.
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:18 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ah well ...
You learn as you go. Smile

But, I must say, the IE download option was really simple & I'll probably use it in the future.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:54 pm
... or so says about.com.

I've tried them both. For my money, Avast is superior.
0 Replies