Buddhisms similary to Christianity.

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:00 am
@igm,
First jackass, i've known what ipse dixit means a lot longer than the internet as been around. Second, so long as you make statements from authority, an authority which i have no good reason to assume you possess, i'll be pointing that out.

As for your next rant, here's an entire thread for you: On True Spirituality - A Buddhist View.. "True" spirituality, huh? As opposed to the phony versions peddled by other religions?

I don't "correct spelling," and as for belittling others, you get what you put into the discussion. You've been making snide remarks about me for several posts now, and this is just another example. On that basis, don't expect to be exempt from the deserved criticism that your English exposition is barely coherent.
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
Make sure it's all portable, though--you may need to pack up your altar and move out quickly when the planes start coming down.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta you truly are.................. I'm lost for words... if only all of us could learn from you.... no wait hang on a minute... perhaps not. Smile
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:11 am
@igm,
It is immaterial from whom you learn anything. It would help, however, if you could learn from someone that debate does not consist in distorting what others say, and then gleefully knocking down straw men in order to claim you have "won."
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:13 am
@Setanta,
Try not to do it then.

You refused my debate... up to you.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:16 am
@igm,
...did you know, I think it was in the 90´s or earlier I am not sure, that there were surprising statistical studies demonstrating that the distribution of IQ taken, naturally, on random set samples is no different in between such apparently divergent groups as those of university scholars compared to the workers at a construction site ?
I still don´t know why such study´s end up surprising so many people in the field, I mean what were they expecting really ?...
...you see, it should be obvious that the excellency of knowledge and science are not that easily traced into some sort of Institutionalized box where all comes together in isolation, naturally there is "vanguard" and "herds" everywhere you turn or look at, indeed reality often proves more complex...in turn what it seems true is that Institutionalized forms of power throughout history always did tried to centralize and control without much success the disperse root sources of progress and insight regarding the vanguard of human thought and its ideals...a common mistake often seen when groups of interest intend to discredit a system of beliefs usually goes with the convenient fallacious argument in which is confound the Institution with its teachings...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:27 am
@igm,
...I think it would prove fruitful to quote him, somewhere back along the posts he did said such nonsense...if you and all the guys following the thread care to look twice they are there...in fact there is no other argument in place...maybe senility or alzheimer are getting the best of him, in which case we should maybe leave him peacefully in his rightful place... but seriously go back and quote him IGM !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:40 am
@igm,
No, in fact, i didn't refuse your "debate," i just pointed out that it is not germane to what i was discussing. I have further pointed out that i have not said what you've alleged that i have said, and finally, i have pointed out that you're attempting to frame the terms of "debate" (as you call it) so as to assure that you "win"--you're begging the question. I've also pointed out that if one were to insist upon details of dogma, no two religions are the same. But i didn't say that the venality or criminality of religious adherents shows that the religion is "wrong," nor did i claim that it shows that religions are similar. Those are both distortions upon which you have relied in your childish attempt to suggest that if i don't "debate" you, you have somehow won a moral victory. Very much like the snotty, superior attitude of those who allege that Buddhism is superior. It might also help you to realize that similar and identical are not synonyms.

I have not set up any straw men, because i've simply quoted you. You however, have consistently restated what i've written in order to havve something which you think you can successfully argue against. That's the very essence of the straw man fallacy.

You want to prate about "debate?" Help yourself, tell everyone that you "won." (What kind of prize will you get?) That won't change my position that were any religion truly spiritually superior, it would be possible to point to the evidence of that superiority in the condition or the behavior of its adherents.
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:56 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, in fact, i didn't refuse your "debate," i just pointed out that it is not germane to what i was discussing.

I draw your attention to these exchanges:

igm wrote:

So Setanta do you want to debate that: In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity?

Setanta wrote:

I see no point in debating that, given that it is neither the topic of the thread, nor something about which i believe you can be honest.

Setanta wrote:

Once again, i am not obliged to address this subject in your terms, which you frame for the convenience of your argument. The issue which i was addressing in response to Max's post was whether or not Buddhists were justified in asserting moral superiority based on the belief set which they choose. .

Most of what you said makes no sense apart from you're unwarranted attack on my honesty but I will restate that you refused my debate. You’ve made your pointless points so … well done! I'm tired of your banality but I'm sure that won't stop your reply.... sigh.... I'm sure I'll get some 'straw man', 'I don't give a rat's ass', 'childish', 'ipsi Latin whatevers',...... I'll try and ignore them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:59 pm
I have not once employed a straw man. If that were true, it would be simplicity itself for you to quote the post. You are being dishonest, because the substance of your "debate" is that Christianity and Buddhism are different in the details of their dogma. Neither i, nor Max, nor anyone else in this thread has alleged that they are identical, just that they are similar. You are attempting to base your "debate" on the fact that they are not identical. Nothing obliges me to "debate" you (as you call) on whether or not they are similar, because i've not made that claim, although i consider it to be broadly true.

But you go ahead and run away, i've seen that from you before.
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I have not once employed a straw man. If that were true, it would be simplicity itself for you to quote the post.

Setanta wrote:

@igm,
Straw man, i said nothing of the kind, nor is that a valid inference from what i did say. What i have repeatedly said is that were any religious confession spiritually superior, then there ought to be evidence that this is so in its effect on adherents. I'm saying that there is no such evidence.

You were saying .... sigh! I was giving a list of the things you trot out over and over again.... 'straw man' is in a very long list ... of them.

I've always debated on similar not identical ... so?
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:12 pm
@igm,
That's because you were employing staw man fallacies. You alleged that i had said that if the adherents of a religion were criminal, then the religion was "wrong" (that was the term you used). I didn't say that, so you were employing a straw man fallacy. When that didn't work, you then claimed that i was saying that it meant that religions are similar on that basis--but i didn't say that, either. So that was your second straw man fallacy. If you don't like hearing about straw man fallacies, stop using them.
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You alleged ...

What are you talking about?... I either said it or I didn't and I'd say I didn't. Your Bible quoting was as clear as mud and I could make no sense of it and that's what you are referring to. Setanta you can have the last word... go ahead!
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:41 pm
@igm,
Oh you said it alright, but you were alleging it, because i had not in fact said it. I'm not surprised that you didn't understand the verses i quoted, because it is obvious that your mind is closed to evidence of anything other than the excellence of your impoverished opinions.

You do me no favors by "allowing" me to have the last word--if you post bullshit, i'm going to call you on it. If you want to run away now, help yourself, as i've already said, i've seen that before.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:21 pm
@igm,
...flawless logic in this one just read...

Quote:

Yes, i expect it will be. The most likely response is the one i've most commonly seen, a straw man argument to the effect that Buddhism is not worse than other religions. I'm not saying it's worse, i'm just pointing out that it is no better. In the final analysis, if you wish to exculpate Buddhism from crimes committed by its adherents based on the excellence of it's dogma, justice requires one to exculpate all religions on exactly the same basis.

What is there to be exculpated in the first place ???
Exculpating Buddhism from the crimes of some of its adherents ???
... maybe he meant some Buddhists instead of Buddhism after all, but it certainly does n´t read that way...

...and from there he went on :

Quote:
Eggs-actly. Buddhists like to portray themselves as different, but i'm personally not buying that. Buddhists murder, rape, make war and to me, worst of all, reek of hypocrisy.

And among the worst hypocrisies is Buddhists blithely surveying the misery around them--the povery, the malnutrition or even stavation, the disease--and prating about the wheel of life, about the transitory nature of life, while they grow fat and happy off the gifts of the peasants.

To me, they cut from the same cloth as the smarmiest televangelist.

...clear as water the present intention of generalization when stating Buddhists murder, rape make war, and so on...

...obviously, from philosophy, to science, or to religion, as any other group anywhere in the world one does not measure its excellency based on the standards of chosen behaviour of some of its members...that´s why such beliefs report to ideals...

Finally:

...is not the case that I need to make a case for Buddhism superiority as a set of beliefs, just a case for the natural consistency and banality of such belief, as being a subsequent form on shared Identity principles whatever is the group in analysis, thus not being worth any particular criticism...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:38 pm
@igm,
...just take a look in my previous post and check who alleges what...
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...just take a look in my previous post and check who alleges what...

Yes, thanks for your observations. He seems to me to have a tactic which he invariably employs which may not be based on the subject… to begin with… where he insults a ‘post’… this continues until he get a suitably angry response or perhaps a less than polite response… then he finds an argument that is in some way connected to the subject that he can use to continue his attack but being suddenly more polite thus looking like the injured party… he will always be destructive… he thrives on creating as much hurt as his words can muster without going over the top… nice chap really. He will of course deny this but his posts statistically will show that I am basically correct.

He is a misery creator and that’s where he gets his kicks. It’s a pity really because although not often he shows a sense of humour as well but it seems to be more of a rarity unless it is humour about others and it’s sad but that’s how I see him.

He has posted a lot so he is adept at his tactics and feared probably by some of those who have been on the receiving end of one of his attacks. He seems to go for newcomers perhaps it’s territorial I only witnessed this once so I may be wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it from here.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
@igm,
...judging from his attitude he is probably just another frustrated retired old fart accumulating years of insecurity´s and bad treatment while pushing papers ins some shitty university...deliriums of grandeur often portray frail people once you get to know them any deeper...he likes to play the alpha on the web and piss around in any corner he can stick is nose, or marking territory in every new tree he finds available...I reason that probably he is divorced or was dumped !
Another aspect is that the asshole does n´t have a clue on himself with is little lectures on History...note that when he tries to jump from descriptive to explicative he messes up all to often...rigid as a square... Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:35 pm
Saw a hard-looking mick at the gym the other day.
On the back of his tshirt:
I love to fight like a fat kid loves cake.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:57 pm
@George,
...was that a "jacobin" character out of the first or the last Rocky film ? Mr. Green