Buddhisms similary to Christianity.

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:37 am
@Krumple,
I go back to your previous post in a little while.

The point of departure of this exchange is the contention that Buddhism is superior. I understand that you haven't (necessarily) alleged that. However, it was to that which i objected in responding to a post of the author of this thread. (The last post of the author, which is not suprising considering how so many people in this thread have reacted.)

At the same time . . .

You wrote:
Buddhism attempts to achieve that in a natural way instead of by forced dictation or threat of punishment for failure.

This implies, with its use of "natural," that other religions which inculcate compassion do so by "unnatural" means. That it is achieved by "forced dictation or threat of punishment." If that is not an assertion of the superiority of Buddhism, then what would you call it?
Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You wrote:
Buddhism attempts to achieve that in a natural way instead of by forced dictation or threat of punishment for failure.

This implies, with its use of "natural," that other religions which inculcate compassion do so by "unnatural" means. That it is achieved by "forced dictation or threat of punishment." If that is not an assertion of the superiority of Buddhism, then what would you call it?

No, it does not state that. I never claimed that other religions do it in an unnatural way or have unnatural methods to obtaining compassion. I only stated that buddhism attempts to achieve it in a natural way, meaning it arises as a byproduct from practicing buddhism itself. There is no struggle to obtain it.

I said nothing about other religions struggling or using an inferior method of obtaining it. I never claimed buddhism was a superior method at obtaining compassion to begin with. I was talking about dealing with the emotions. You brought in the compassion issue and bundled me up with something I never said.

Superior method doesn't imply that other methods are wrong. It just means one method is better in some way. It does not mean that you can't obtain it through another means.

I never made the claim that buddhism is the ONLY method that works. If you think that I have said such a thing then I need correct you. If I have said such a thing then it was in error.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:49 am
@Krumple,
I think it because of things you have said in previous posts (as for example that other religions inculcate compassion by dictation or fear of punishment--an absurdity on the face of it), and even what you say in this post.

Take this as an example:

Quote:
It might have but as it currently sits it doesn't [i.e., that christian mysticism does not provide its adherents with the emotional control that you allege Buddhism provides]. Well not at the extent that buddhism does any way. Would there be objections to this, maybe.

You bet there are objections to this. Are you so well informed about christian mysticism that you can confidently assert that it does not provide its practitioners with emotional control? I suspect that you are not.

Additionally . . .

Quote:
I claimed buddism is superior in that regard, but said nothing that other systems couldn't also address the issue in their own ways.

That is patently an assertion of the superiority of Buddhism. Once again, without a standard which can reasonably be said to be objective, i can see no reason to accept such an assertion.

Furthermore:

You wrote:
Some are, a majority have motivations for empathy or compassion yes. But they are also not alone with that. There are buddhist as well who mistake the lessons and develop compassion for selfish motivations thinking it is the proper method. There are even secular individuals who also develop compassion for less than ideal reasons for selfish gain. I am also not exempt from this problem.

I suggest to you that if something is done for selfish gain, it may be many things, but it is certainly not compassion.

You wrote:
It could but I have not seen it very often. Perhaps I am sheltered from observing it or not in the right place to witness it. From my knowledge it is not a primal importance of the doctrine. Correct me if I am wrong.

Earlier in this thread, when i was attempting to talk to igm (a thorough-going waste of time), i pointed out to him that he had dismissed christianity as having no spiritual aspects (he did so inferentially with a fling about advice for day to day living). I then quoted this passage of scripture (i always use the King James version when quoting christian scripture):

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
(Luke, Chapter 17, verses 20-21)

Igm replied that it made no sense to him. Small wonder, given that he has decided in advance that there is no spiritual component to christianity. However, anyone with a reasonable command of the English language should be able to see that this passage calls upon the believer to seek spirituality within themselves, and not in "outward" things, not in "worldly" things.

The same thing can be done with regard to injunctions to compassion.

But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. (Luke Chapter 18, verse 16)

Now, given that the putative Jesus stated that the kingdom of god is within, this serves as a spiritual call to compassion for children. The almost identical passage can be found in Matthew, Chapter 19, verse 16. This doesn't prove its "real," but it does demonstrate the significance of the alleged event for the evangelists.

The more trenchant example can be found in Matthew, Chapter 25:

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
(Verses 34-40)

Now, i'm not going to attempt to deceive. Those familiar with christian scripture might point out that the same chapter includes condemnation of those who are not compassionate in this manner, saying that they will be condemned to hell. (It does not literally say that, but the implication is clear.) However, with regard to christian mysticism, it ought to be clear that the putative Jesus is calling upon his adherents to have and act upon compassion, as he would do himself ("the King" in this passage refers to himself, when he retuns to earth--keep in mind that this is filtered through the evangelists, so that if he actually existed, and he said something of this kind, we don't have access to his actual words). The primary devotion of christian mysticism is, and is called, the imitation of Christ.

So, indeed spiritualism and compassion are "of primal importance" to the doctrine. Consider yourself corrected.

Quote:
He took from many different teachings from many different teachers during his time. He also found some of them not complete or they missed the mark he was attempting to hit. He gave them up to find another solution. Did he barrow from them? If he did, they had relevance to his own conclusion. Some truths are universal within opposing systems, just because they might share the concept it doesn't mean one is stealing the idea.

Your allegations about what Guatama took or found are only that, allegation. As with all religions, there are no surviving contemporary documents. I strongly object to your characterization of "stealing." That is an emotive and pejorative term. I didn't use it, and only reported what the Jains claim. If you have a beef with it, take it up with the Jains.

Quote:
The only thing I was pointing out was the fact that buddhism focuses on this one aspect far more than others do from my perspective. From my understanding of what I have studied this is my conclusion alone.

I suggest to you that you are very poorly informed.

Quote:
I was only stating that Buddhism sees a problem with the human condition and has a method of dealing with it.

This is so obviously false that i'm bemused. What you see as a problem with the human condition appears to be that they don't view consciousness as you do. Leaving aside that this is undemonstrated, as you yourself admit, it is not measurable, so no comparisons can reasonably be made between one religion and the other.

Quote:
I said absolutely NOTHING about spirituality for that matter. Measure what I actually said and don't impose a premise I never included.

As i've already pointed out, the point of departure for this portion of the discussion is the assertion by people who are, or claim to be, Buddhists that their religion is spiritually superior. This was an overt claim, for example, made by igm. So, if you are going to use a discussion which i initiated as the point of departure, you accept the terms of discussion, and those were that Buddhists claim to be superior on a spiritual basis.

This is the beginning of your contribution to this thread:

Quote:
I would like to address this issue of "superiority" if anyone cares. I wasn't going to say anything about it but I changed my mind. I also know that some might not like what I have to say about this but then again that happens with just about everything I have to say, so I shouldn't let that stop me from saying something.

First of all, do I personally think buddhism is superior to other religions? Well that depends on what specifically you are talking about when you say superior. I can answer in some ways it is and in other ways it isn't. However; I feel an actual practioner of buddhism would never actually say that it is superior to other religions or philosophies. They (actual buddhists) generally see no point in making that claim because it puts them at odds with others and that should be avoided if you want to maintain equanimity. Am I contradicting myself here? No because I am not a buddhist nor practicing buddhism, but I can still point out the ways in which it is superior or inferrior with regards to other religions or philosophies.

Once again, it is still meaningless to talk about though because it doesn't actually do any good to make the claim. So what if it is superior or inferior? I don't think there are very many people who decide which philosophy to practice solely based on someone saying "this is a superior philosophy." If anything it will have just the opposite effect since it sounds a little arrogant. I have to also include myself with that since I have already stated that there are ways in which buddhism is superior in my opinion. Don't forget I also said it is also inferior in other ways, as well.

My personal perspective comes from experience and observations from study and practicing buddhism. These observations could simply be my own skewed perspective and completely wrong or jaded. I would be surprised if someone were persuaded by my opinion of buddhism to adopt the same perspective without actually going through their own experiences with it themselves. This should make my opinion hold very little value or worth and I would rather just invite others to examine it for themselves and ignore my opinions all together.

With that said I will touch on my few opinions of how buddhism is superior to other philosophies or religions. I am not going to mention them all since it would make this post incredibly long.

So please note that you are saying that in your opinion Buddhism is superior. It is difficult, though, to know upon what basis you say this, as you both claim that you are not a practitioner of Buddhism, and that you are: No because I am not a buddhist nor practicing buddhism . . . , which is followed by: My personal perspective comes from experience and observations from study and practicing buddhism. How very convenient for your rhetorical position. Perhaps you could explain the contradiction.

If you are not asserting the superiority of Buddhism (which, apparently, you do and do not practice), and your remarks are not about spirituality, you really have no business in this discussion. However, unlike igm, i am not a thread nazi, and don't try to tell people what they can or can't talk about. I will object to people using my remarks as a point of departure, though, and then attempting to disavow actual participation in the discussion which i initiated.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:13 am
@Setanta,
You've mentioned 'igm' serveral times now in your recent posts to 'Krumple' and... I disagree with all the statements about 'igm' that you have made ... for the record. Misperception is one possible cause.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:18 am
@igm,
I seriously doubt that you can show that i "misperceived" your statements--such as that Buddhism is superior.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I seriously doubt that you can show that i "misperceived" your statements--such as that Buddhism is superior.

The owness is on you to prove the meaning of what I said was correctly perceived by you... if I in fact said what you are reporting I've said.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:35 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
Setanta wrote:

The owness is on you to prove the meaning of what I said was correctly perceived by you... if I in fact said what you are reporting I've said.

The word you wanted was onus. As far as i know, "owness" is not a word in English. Debate is severely crippled when you exchange comments with someone who is not coherent in the language in which the debate is being conducted. Leaving that aside, though . . .

Setanta wrote:
Straw man, i said nothing of the kind, nor is that a valid inference from what i did say. What i have repeatedly said is that were any religious confession spiritually superior, then there ought to be evidence that this is so in its effect on adherents. I'm saying that there is no such evidence.

To which you replied:

igm wrote:
I disagree. I'll get back to you later... if I can see a way forward in a debate with... Setanta.

So what was your response supposed to mean? That there is evidence that any particular religious confession is superior? Which religious confession would that be?

This time, see if you can get along without snide personal remarks--it would be a refreshing change.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The word you wanted was onus.

The word was used correctly and correctly interpreted by you. It is a word that I use rarely but as I say the meaning of the word I incorrectly spelt was nevertheless the correct word to use but I agree it should have been spelt 'onus'. Thanks for the spelling correction.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:51 am
Just for the record, i responded to a remark by the author of the thread about the attitude of superiority displayed by many people who are, or who claim to be Buddhists.

You jumped in and demanding that i debate with you whether or not christianity and buddhism are similar. Given that i had never made such a claim, it was pretty damned silly to insist that i do so--and you implied that i were not capable of such a debate in your experience. So, having got you snotty little insult in, you then attempted to take the moral high ground by saying i would not debate you. Given that engaging in such a "debate" would entail me defending a position which i had never taken, i saw no reason to acquiesce.

You then wrote:

Quote:
So I accept that there is a ‘how to live your life as a good person’, superficial similarity but the deepest teachings i.e. the heart of what the Buddha wanted to teach is for those who can spend time hearing, reflecting and meditating on those ‘hard to understand teachings’ this is what removes the root cause of suffering not just lessening the effects.

Which attempts by implication to assert at the outset that christianity does not have any "deepest teachings" such as those you allege to be a part of Buddhism, which remove the root causes of suffering, not simply lessening them. Not only did you fail to demonstrate that Buddhist teaching removes the root causes of suffering, you failed to demonstrate that there is a valid distinction between christianity and buddhism in this regard. This was the essential dishonesty which i said i suspected you would employ. Furthermore, you then demanded that i demonstrate that "In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity." That was changing horses in the middle of the stream--you were attempting to change the terms of debate after having proposed them, which is also dishonesty. And, of course, i had never asserted that christianity and buddhism are similar in either superficial or non-superficial ways.

You've been peeing in your panties and flinging snide insults ever since. Can you really be so callow as to think that you are morally superior to someone who refuses to defend a position he has never taken? What a Loon.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@Setanta,
As for the rest of your post it didn't address the issue. Show that the remarks you made about 'igm' in your posts to 'Krumple' are not mispercieved e.g. The Bible teaches and gives advice on 'how to live a good life day-to-day' i.e. it gives advice on that... this was a 'positive' observation by me... interpreted and reported several times in a 'negative' way by you i.e. you mispercieved what I'd said and admonished me for it... incorectly.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@igm,
This is about par for the course with you. In responding to that post, you focus on the spelling correction rather than responding to the evidence i provided that you assert the spiritual superiority of buddhism. I asked you three questions, none of which you answered.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:57 am
@igm,
Here, i'll quote you once again:

Quote:
So I accept that there is a ‘how to live your life as a good person’, superficial similarity but the deepest teachings i.e. the heart of what the Buddha wanted to teach is for those who can spend time hearing, reflecting and meditating on those ‘hard to understand teachings’ this is what removes the root cause of suffering not just lessening the effects. (emphasis added, of course)

You're willfully ignoring that annoying little conjunction "but"--which is used to introduce something contrasting with what has already been mentioned. Therefore, you were dismissing christian teachings as superficial in comparison to "the deepest teachings i.e. the heart of what the Buddha wanted to teach . . ." Are you going to continue to assert that it was a misperception that that asserts superiority? You may be that dull-witted, but i am not.

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I think it because of things you have said in previous posts (as for example that other religions inculcate compassion by dictation or fear of punishment--an absurdity on the face of it), and even what you say in this post.

You are adding something that I did not say for a second time. You are implying that I was talking about another method when I said buddhism does not use dictation or fear of punishment for failure. I never said other religions do, you impose that premise onto my words, which I never made.

In the very next comment you do it a third time. I never made the claim that another system does not deal with the emotions. You once again impose a premise that I never made.

The statement I made
"I claimed buddism is superior in that regard, but said nothing that other systems couldn't also address the issue in their own ways."

Is an error that I could not fix because of a second posting. It should have said, "I never claimed buddhism is superior in that regard." You can tell by my later statements that reflect that same premise. You even conveniently cut off the beginning statement which also supports that statement. I didn't catch the error in time to edit it and you can't fix posts once someone else comments.

Setanta wrote:

So, indeed spiritualism and compassion are "of primal importance" to the doctrine. Consider yourself corrected.

Sure, but the point you missed is that within buddhism there is no punishment for failure. There is no commandment to maim or kill those who do not follow it or develop it. Christianity is riddled with acts that insight banishment or death for failure to adopt or obey it's precepts. Buddhism doesn't take such stances.

Setanta wrote:

Your allegations about what Guatama took or found are only that, allegation. As with all religions, there are no surviving contemporary documents. I strongly object to your characterization of "stealing." That is an emotive and pejorative term. I didn't use it, and only reported what the Jains claim. If you have a beef with it, take it up with the Jains.

You are the one who brought it up. I couldn't care any less. It does not matter to me where a truth might originate or who fosters it.

Setanta wrote:

I suggest to you that you are very poorly informed.

Perhaps but who you are to make that distinction? Just because you place premises upon me which I never made and impose that I am wrong about them. What does that say about your information? Need I remind you that I never said christianity does not teach compassion? Yet this whole time you have insisted that I have made that statement. Show me where I have made such a statement.

Setanta wrote:

This is so obviously false that i'm bemused. What you see as a problem with the human condition appears to be that they don't view consciousness as you do. Leaving aside that this is undemonstrated, as you yourself admit, it is not measurable, so no comparisons can reasonably be made between one religion and the other.

Surely there would have to be differences. Not all roads lead to the same destination. You can maintain an equanimity with all religions but I can't. Think of me what you want because of that, it does not matter. Not every fruit is eatable, not every berry is poisonous.

Setanta wrote:

As i've already pointed out, the point of departure for this portion of the discussion is the assertion by people who are, or claim to be, Buddhists that their religion is spiritually superior. This was an overt claim, for example, made by igm. So, if you are going to use a discussion which i initiated as the point of departure, you accept the terms of discussion, and those were that Buddhists claim to be superior on a spiritual basis.

I was not aware that YOU get to dictate the grounds by which one were to explain superiority. I do not work by your criteria that is something you have to deal with. I never made promises that you have already claimed I have made.

I will say it again as I have stated before but now I know you never read it. These statements I made are my own personal opinions and by that they hold absolutely no value. Why you would care what I have to say on the topic is eye opening when you place premises onto me and force me to comply with your standard of response.

When someone speaks of superiority, I don't just jump to one aspect of it's definition but also how it is applied. For example if you wanted to learn math, you could do so by taking an art class, however; it is not as efficient as taking a math class. Therefore we can say that a math class is superior to an art class when one wants to learn math. This was my over all message. I never said or claimed that you could not learn math from an art class. In other words I never claimed that you could not develop compassion from practicing christianity.

Christianity's sole premise is not one of developing compassion for all beings equally. It's purpose is for one to accept that a person died to alleviate the sins of another to obtain salvation. Buddhism's sole purpose is to develop compassion for ALL beings equally and salvation arises not from striving for it but from getting rid of all the things that hinder it's experience. Just like if something is buried by dust might go unnoticed but when the dust is wiped away the object is revealed. The method is finding out what need be wiped away for the experience to be realized.

Setanta wrote:

So please note that you are saying that in your opinion Buddhism is superior.

Nope I never made that claim. You can continue to insist that I have but all you are doing is applying a red herring fallacy to the discussion.

Setanta wrote:

How very convenient for your rhetorical position. Perhaps you could explain the contradiction.

There is no contradiction. I was (past tense) a buddhist practitioner. I am (currently) not a buddhist. Where is the contradiction?

Setanta wrote:

If you are not asserting the superiority of Buddhism (which, apparently, you do and do not practice), and your remarks are not about spirituality, you really have no business in this discussion.

Once again I was not aware that YOU get to dictate who gets to join and what gets to be said. The OP was about the similarity of buddhism to christianity. An aspect you never responded to which is the topic. If you wanted to change the topic perhaps you should have started a new thread under your new topic of discussion. Allowing people to actually participate. Also I never accepted that I must ONLY discuss superiority in general terms.

igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

...Which attempts by implication to assert at the outset that christianity does not have any "deepest teachings" such as those you allege to be a part of Buddhism, which remove the root causes of suffering, not simply lessening them.

The teaching that you are referring to are obviously not going to be in the christian teachings... just as an apple is not an orange this does not make the apple superior to the orange.

Setanta wrote:

Not only did you fail to demonstrate that Buddhist teaching removes the root causes of suffering, you failed to demonstrate that there is a valid distinction between christianity and buddhism in this regard. This was the essential dishonesty which i said i suspected you would employ.

Why would I attempt to teach you Buddhism in order to make my point? There is no need and anyone who knows what the Buddha taught would know that his teachings 'the first he gave' were about removing the 'root cause of suffering' this is common knowledge. To draw a conclusion of dishonesty is to misperceive once again.

Setanta wrote:

Furthermore, you then demanded that i demonstrate that "In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity." That was changing horses in the middle of the stream--you were attempting to change the terms of debate after having proposed them, which is also dishonesty.

It was a request for a debate. You could and did decline. Again dishonesty has nothing to do with it. If I ask you to do something and you say no... how is that dishonest?

Setanta wrote:

You've been peeing in your panties and flinging snide insults ever since. Can you really be so callow as to think that you are morally superior to someone who refuses to defend a position he has never taken? What a Loon.

You keep saying these things but you are first, making very little sense... especially with the 'peeing' remarks and you use the word 'snide'... well shall we say often... but I believe considering the open insults you've sprinkled throughout your posts to me and others I would call my remarks an attempt to be restrained.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:58 am
@Krumple,
Oh now, that is just bald absurdity. If you are saying that buddhism does not use dictation or the fear of punishment, then clearly you are contrasting it someone or something else that does. If you didn't mean other religions, then to whom or what were you referring? The Odd Fellows Lodge?

It's a bit thick to complain that i didn't use mind reading (or something) to understand what you meant in a post which you did not return to in time to edit. I was, peforce, obliged to rely upon what you originally wrote. It's not as those i had employed some cheap trick against you. It's a bit thick to suggest that i took unfair advantage.

Will you point to me the injunctions in christianity for which the failure to comply will be met by banishment or death? Are you perhaps confusing christianity with Judaic law? By the time the putative Jesus is alleged to have live, the only authority competent to banish or execute anyone was the Roman Empire, and i consider it not unreasonable to assert that they weren't in the business of enforcing the injunctions of cults.

Quote:
You are the one who brought it up. I couldn't care any less. It does not matter to me where a truth might originate or who fosters it.

You cared enough to respond. Upon what basis do you allege that it is "a truth?"

What "premises" have i placed on you that you never made? Remember, you can't hold me responsible if you claimed that buddhism is superior in any regard, but didn't mean to, and did not get back in time to edit it ( Rolling Eyes ). I can only respond to what i read that you have posted.

I have never claimed that you had ever "said christianity does not teach compassion"--you're being dishonest. I pointed out that the implication of mentioning dictation and fear of punishment when saying buddhism does not employ them implies that other religions do. That was the burden of my remarks. You seem to be attempting to escape the implications of what you have written by using straw man arguments to accuse me of writing what i have indeed never written. Pot, kettle sort of thing going on here.

So you are now asserting that not all religions are concerned with the human condition? That's a rather strange assertion to make, but while acknowledging that in gross it may be true, it is hardly applicable to christianity, which is what the thread's author proposed to compare to buddhism.

You multiply your straw men:

Quote:
I was not aware that YOU get to dictate the grounds by which one were to explain superiority.

I haven't offered to dictate the grounds by which one were to explain superiority. What did assert that is that if one uses my remarks as a point of departure, it is reasonble to object to anyone distorting them. Next . . .

Quote:
I never made promises that you have already claimed I have made.

I deny categorically that i claimed you made any promises. If you claim you reasonably inferred that, perhaps you could quote the relevant post.

Quote:
Christianity's sole premise is not one of developing compassion for all beings equally.

This is a straw man if you are asserting that i made any such claim.

Your math and art analogy is, frankly, not analogous. It looks to me to be an attempt to assert that buddhism is to the point about compassion and the human condition, especially in light of this remark:

Quote:
Buddhism's sole purpose is to develop compassion for ALL beings equally and salvation arises not from striving for it but from getting rid of all the things that hinder it's experience.

I don't purport to be sufficiently knowledgeable about buddhism to deny that assertion, but i strongly suspect that not all buddhists would either allege that that is the sole purpose of buddhism, nor that it can be distinguished from all other religions on that basis. I'd have to have better evidence than your ipse dixit to accept that.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:

Nope I never made that claim. You can continue to insist that I have but all you are doing is applying a red herring fallacy to the discussion.

Then perhaps you could explain this statement which you made earlier in the thread:

Quote:
With that said I will touch on my few opinions of how buddhism is superior to other philosophies or religions.

Don't tell me about it being an opinionl. I know it's an opinion. That's why i wrote: ". . . you are saying that in your opinion . . ." Don't accuse me of employing a red herring when i am able to quote what you actually wrote. Do you want me to provide a link to the post in which you wrote it? Is this the case in which you are going to allege that you didn't mean what you wrote, but that you lost the opportunity to edit it? Is this the case in which i was expected to read your mind?

I though you might mean that you once practiced buddhism, but no longer do. However, you are touchy enough as it is. I'm not going to assume things you don't make explicity, unless it is a case in which i allege a reasonable inference. There was no basis from what you wrote to infer that.

Quote:
Once again I was not aware that YOU get to dictate who gets to join and what gets to be said. The OP was about the similarity of buddhism to christianity. An aspect you never responded to which is the topic. If you wanted to change the topic perhaps you should have started a new thread under your new topic of discussion. Allowing people to actually participate. Also I never accepted that I must ONLY discuss superiority in general terms.

You are either slow on the uptake, or you are being willfully disingenuous. I have pointed out more than once that i object to people who take my remarks as a point of departure, and then falsely characterize what i've written. It was the author and i who stated that many buddhists seem to think that their belief set is superior, but it was not a part of the initial post. I'm not dictating anything to you. However, the point of departure for the discussion of whether or not buddhism is superior was in a later post of the author, to which i responded. So you don't get to hide behind the thread topic on this one.

It is a lie that i never responded to the claim of similarity between the two religions. One the first page, this exchange took place:

sozobe wrote:
I don't think Buddhism and Christianity as two specific religions out of all religions have much in common.

I think you're describing the similarities between ALL religions. (Truth. Usually a prophet/ deity. Prescriptions on how to live a good life. Etc.)

Setanta wrote:
Word.

It's hardly my fault if you were not sufficiently motivated to actually read the thread before you dived in. I have not ever asserted that the two religions are similar except to the extent implied in that exchange.

I don't have to start a new thread under any conditions, and especially not when the discussion which i initiated was in response to a later post by the author.

"Allowing people to actually participate." That's just silly. I cannot and have made no attempt to prevent anyone from participating. This just constitutes another straw man. Your final staw man in this post is in suggesting that i have ever attempted to dictate in what terms superiority may be discussed.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 09:05 am
@igm,
You're dodging the obvious implication of your remark to the effect that buddhism is superior to christianity by contrast on the basis of "deepest teachings." I'm not surprised.

It's laughably absurd to think of you teaching anyone about buddhism. No thanks, i have no confidence in your knowledge or ability. The dishonesty lies in attempting to imply that that distinguishes buddhism from christianity.

Your original request for debate was as to whether or not christianity and buddhism are similar. It was only later that you added the "on a non-superficial level" as a qualifier. I suspect that was at about the time your realized how indefensible your position was. It is dishonest to set terms for a debate, and then subsequently change them, while crowing about your interlocutor's alleged inability to meet the challenge. As always, i will point out that you were demanding that i defend in debate a position i had never taken.

Far from being restrained, you began the insults with your fling about my rhetorical abilities. So you've been served in the same manner in return. When people insult me, as you did to begin with and without provocation, they don't need to complain about it later if i treat them the same way. I used the word snide because it best describes the manner in which you insult (or attempt to insult) those who won't agree with you, or play your silly games.
Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oh now, that is just bald absurdity. If you are saying that buddhism does not use dictation or the fear of punishment, then clearly you are contrasting it someone or something else that does. If you didn't mean other religions, then to whom or what were you referring? The Odd Fellows Lodge?

That is just the thing, I was not comparing it to another religion. I was only stating what it does not use as a method. Generally speaking behavior tends to get treated in one of two ways, either praise or blame or with a third as indifference. I was only stating that it does not use negative reinforcement within the teaching to impose or dictate that the practitioner must comply or face punishment for failure. I was comparing it to itself not something else. If I had been comparing it to another religion I probably would have continued by saying something to the effect of, "Unlike such and such religion..." That would be making a comparison.

Setanta wrote:

It's a bit thick to complain that i didn't use mind reading (or something) to understand what you meant in a post which you did not return to in time to edit. I was, peforce, obliged to rely upon what you originally wrote. It's not as those i had employed some cheap trick against you. It's a bit thick to suggest that i took unfair advantage.

Fair enough, and understand now you were only trying to point it out.

Setanta wrote:

Will you point to me the injunctions in christianity for which the failure to comply will be met by banishment or death? Are you perhaps confusing christianity with Judaic law?

No confusion. Matthew 5:22 is one example.

"And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Now I understand that the word "hell" is a poor translation and the actual word should be "gehenna" which was a place that existed outside the city of Jerusalem where garbage, dead corpses and other undesirable things were tossed out and burned. In other words, if you call someone who is a practitioner (disciple) of christ a fool, you will be tossed out with the garbage. This basically means if you fail to be compassionate towards these followers of christianity then you will be removed, placed where garbage and corpses are burned, cast out.

Setanta wrote:

By the time the putative Jesus is alleged to have live, the only authority competent to banish or execute anyone was the Roman Empire, and i consider it not unreasonable to assert that they weren't in the business of enforcing the injunctions of cults.

There is a group of christians who teach that those who do not accept jesus as their savior will be left in a place devoid of god's presence. This is a direct threat of punishment for not developing it's precepts.

Krumple wrote:

Setanta wrote:

You cared enough to respond. Upon what basis do you allege that it is "a truth?"

Nope, I was generally speaking. I was not referring to what I had said to be the truth, but instead that it did not matter to me where truth originates or by whom fosters it. In other words it does not matter to me if the Buddha took lessons from other religions or teachers and taught them as if they were his own or that he had sole custody of these lessons. It doesn't matter to me where they originate or who first spoke them. A very general statement not directed at any specific teaching.

Setanta wrote:

What "premises" have i placed on you that you never made? Remember, you can't hold me responsible if you claimed that buddhism is superior in any regard, but didn't mean to, and did not get back in time to edit it ( Rolling Eyes ). I can only respond to what i read that you have posted.

I do not hold to the premise that buddhism is superior with regards to the teachings of compassion. You made the statement before I had made the error with my follow up post. I couldn't have made the error had you not first brought up the concept of compassion. My post starting with my opening statement about explaining superiority never mentions compassion. You did however bring it into the discussion making the false straw man that I had claimed buddhism was superior with regards to compassion.

Setanta wrote:

I have never claimed that you had ever "said christianity does not teach compassion"--you're being dishonest. I pointed out that the implication of mentioning dictation and fear of punishment when saying buddhism does not employ them implies that other religions do. That was the burden of my remarks. You seem to be attempting to escape the implications of what you have written by using straw man arguments to accuse me of writing what i have indeed never written. Pot, kettle sort of thing going on here.

Are you sure about that? From my perspective you sliped in a line into my statement to explain that I was comparing buddhism with christianity in terms of superiority. That was your error and I was attempting to correct it by saying that I never claimed it does not teach compassion.

Setanta wrote:

So you are now asserting that not all religions are concerned with the human condition? That's a rather strange assertion to make, but while acknowledging that in gross it may be true, it is hardly applicable to christianity, which is what the thread's author proposed to compare to buddhism.

Once again you are adding in something I never said. I never said that other religions don't or are not concerned with the human condition. I only stated that buddhism is. You keep adding in something for which I never stated.

Setanta wrote:

You multiply your straw men:

krumple wrote:
I was not aware that YOU get to dictate the grounds by which one were to explain superiority.

Is this the game that you are going to start playing now. The reason I responded with that is because you said I shouldn't be in the discussion if I was not going to directly address your change of topic. How is that a straw man when you claimed I shouldn't even be in the discussion if I was not going to address the "non topic"?

Setanta wrote:

I haven't offered to dictate the grounds by which one were to explain superiority. What did assert that is that if one uses my remarks as a point of departure, it is reasonble to object to anyone distorting them. Next . . .

Departure yes, but why is it that you get to set the grounds for how another person discusses the ways in which something is or is not superior? I clearly offered my explanation as an example of how it was precised by me to be superior but at the same time I also mention there are ways in which it is not. I think you are a little overly zealous with this whole thing of superiority which is why I should have never mentioned it to begin with because it is such a hang up.

Krumple wrote:
Christianity's sole premise is not one of developing compassion for all beings equally.

Setanta wrote:

This is a straw man if you are asserting that i made any such claim.

Wow trigger happy? That statement was my own.

Setanta wrote:

Your math and art analogy is, frankly, not analogous. It looks to me to be an attempt to assert that buddhism is to the point about compassion and the human condition, especially in light of this remark:

I don't think you understand the analogy.

Krumple wrote:
Buddhism's sole purpose is to develop compassion for ALL beings equally and salvation arises not from striving for it but from getting rid of all the things that hinder it's experience.

Setanta wrote:

I don't purport to be sufficiently knowledgeable about buddhism to deny that assertion, but i strongly suspect that not all buddhists would either allege that that is the sole purpose of buddhism, nor that it can be distinguished from all other religions on that basis. I'd have to have better evidence than your ipse dixit to accept that.

If you are not knowledgeable about buddhism than how can you defend the premise that it is not superior in terms of how concerns the emotions? Doesn't this leave your knowledge lacking the ability to make a proper assessment? You claim that all religions are equal yet how can you state that if you don't have sufficient knowledge of buddhism?

Setanta wrote:

[quote="Krumple"
Nope I never made that claim. You can continue to insist that I have but all you are doing is applying a red herring fallacy to the discussion.[/quote]

Setanta wrote:

Then perhaps you could explain this statement which you made earlier in the thread:

Krumple wrote:
With that said I will touch on my few opinions of how buddhism is superior to other philosophies or religions.

Now you are changing your statement? Why are you leaving out the part where I mention the emotions? I never made any flat claim that Buddhism is superior period as this statement you are trying to imply does. You are taking it out of context and setting up a premise I didn't actually make. Why are you doing that?

Setanta wrote:

Don't tell me about it being an opinionl. I know it's an opinion. That's why i wrote: ". . . you are saying that in your opinion . . ." Don't accuse me of employing a red herring when i am able to quote what you actually wrote. Do you want me to provide a link to the post in which you wrote it? Is this the case in which you are going to allege that you didn't mean what you wrote, but that you lost the opportunity to edit it? Is this the case in which i was expected to read your mind?

Setanta wrote:

I though you might mean that you once practiced buddhism, but no longer do. However, you are touchy enough as it is. I'm not going to assume things you don't make explicity, unless it is a case in which i allege a reasonable inference. There was no basis from what you wrote to infer that.

I can tell now this is all just a game to you, to claim a premise and attempt to wrap me up into it. I really don't have any need to play this game with you.

Krumple wrote:

Setanta wrote:

You are either slow on the uptake, or you are being willfully disingenuous. I have pointed out more than once that i object to people who take my remarks as a point of departure, and then falsely characterize what i've written. It was the author and i who stated that many buddhists seem to think that their belief set is superior, but it was not a part of the initial post. I'm not dictating anything to you. However, the point of departure for the discussion of whether or not buddhism is superior was in a later post of the author, to which i responded. So you don't get to hide behind the thread topic on this one.

Like I mentioned before, I did not feel the need to respond to it, since it would be a pointless endeavor. I should have heeded my original self advice. I see now your method of attacking with a false premise and attempt to continue it even when you know you have made the mistake and still wish to place blame on me for it's cause.
igm

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 10:21 am
@Setanta,
You correct my spelling... and then your last post to Krumple is almost grammatically unreadable in places... we should all remember we are instantly replying to posts not creating an essay or thesis or paper on a given subject that is to be proof read, revised, etc...

You are a serial misperceiver when it comes to posts directed at you. You fail time-and-time again to see that something written can be interpreted in more than one way. You choose to interpret any post directed at you... if it is based on religion or philosophy... in the most negative way possible and attack it in any way you can (fairly or unfairly)... very rarely does it enhance your reputation... I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that I have failed to spot anything you've said in this topic that would enhance your reputation. I hope this is direct enough for you and you won't perceive it incorrectly. Some of your insults are just kindergarten playground taunts. I don’t get angry at the taunt but the childlike purveyor of those taunts… brings… enough said.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:13 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
That is just the thing, I was not comparing it to another religion. I was only stating what it does not use as a method.

You were comparing it something. In the post from which i took this inference, you wrote:

Quote:
The whole point is to get the individual to a point where they see themselves in all things including others. They call that compassion. The problem is you can't just decide to be compassionate, it makes it hallow and if there is a motivation behind it then it is less than compassion and more about self gain. Buddhism attempts to achieve that in a natural way instead of by forced dictation or threat of punishment for failure.

So clearly, you are asserting that buddhism achieves the inculcation of compassion through a "natural" method, "instead of by forced dictation or threat of punishment." I don't accept, by the way, that people cannot be compassionate by their nature, that it has to be inculcated, or that you need religion as a motivation. But to me, it appears that you are constrasting buddhism to something, even if you don't name it, and i don't believe that that was not your intent. I suspect you of hedging after the fact. The reason for my saying that is that i had not mentioned dictation or fear of punishment, you did. It seems clear to me that you had something in mind.

Quote:
Now I understand that the word "hell" is a poor translation and the actual word should be "gehenna" which was a place that existed outside the city of Jerusalem where garbage, dead corpses and other undesirable things were tossed out and burned. In other words, if you call someone who is a practitioner (disciple) of christ a fool, you will be tossed out with the garbage. This basically means if you fail to be compassionate towards these followers of christianity then you will be removed, placed where garbage and corpses are burned, cast out.

So, having denied that you had the tenets of any particular religion in mind, you now resort to an example from christian scripture. You don't see a contradiction there?

(By the way, i'm certain that your exposition on Gehenna is correct. As i understand it, it was a place where allegedly apostate Israelis sacrificed to Baal/Moloch, and therefore a place "unclean." It is the translation made for the King James bible which turns it into the Anglo-Saxon "Hell." That, of course, is neither here nor there for purposes of this discussion.)

Quote:
There is a group of christians who teach that those who do not accept jesus as their savior will be left in a place devoid of god's presence. This is a direct threat of punishment for not developing it's precepts.

Those are not nice people. However, i don't think one can extrapolate from that that this is a basic premise of christianity, but only that it is a premise of certain fundamentalist or charismatic sects. It is even more quixotic in that such sects always emphasize faith over works, so that one can be saved by having faith, even if they have never done compassionate acts. This, by the way (the emphasis of faith over works) has become a source of great anger among fundamentalist christians who have attempted to defend themselves from charges that they do not seek to ameliorate the human condition.

Christians are not the only ones who indulge is significant diversions from the text of their dogma. In Tibet, the Kagyu school of buddhism claims as its founder Jetsun Milarepa. All manner of extravagent claims are made about him--about his use of breathing technique to run non-stop in a few days which prior to his development of the technique he alleged would have taken him a month. He is alleged to have succesfully wrestled with and driven out demons. He is alleged to have been the first buddhist to have acheived complete enlightenment in a single lifetime. How very far from a claim about the sole purpose of buddhist teaching are such stories. So, in Tibet at least, it is arguable that their belief set is as far removed from the doctrrine of the founder as is the hell-fire ranting of fundamentalist christians.

Quote:
Nope, I was generally speaking. I was not referring to what I had said to be the truth, but instead that it did not matter to me where truth originates or by whom fosters it. In other words it does not matter to me if the Buddha took lessons from other religions or teachers and taught them as if they were his own or that he had sole custody of these lessons. It doesn't matter to me where they originate or who first spoke them. A very general statement not directed at any specific teaching.

Not to belabor the point, but you did care enough to respond. As for the rest of it, fair enough.

Quote:
I do not hold to the premise that buddhism is superior with regards to the teachings of compassion. You made the statement before I had made the error with my follow up post. I couldn't have made the error had you not first brought up the concept of compassion. My post starting with my opening statement about explaining superiority never mentions compassion. You did however bring it into the discussion making the false straw man that I had claimed buddhism was superior with regards to compassion.

That's fine, as far as it goes. However, it was you who made the claim that buddhism was superior in regard to compassion because it inculcated it in a "natural" manner. So it was not a straw man fallacy to point that out. I understand the part about you not wishing to have said that, and being subsequently unable to edit. However, you cannot fairly accuse me of introducing a straw man when i responded to what you had in fact written, while not knowing that you hadn't intended that.

Quote:
Are you sure about that? From my perspective you sliped in a line into my statement to explain that I was comparing buddhism with christianity in terms of superiority. That was your error and I was attempting to correct it by saying that I never claimed it does not teach compassion.

This is completely false. I have "slipped" no lines into your statements. I have quoted them honestly. You did imply, if not state, that buddhism is superior for inculcating compassion in a "natural" manner and not by dictation or fear of punishment. That you did not mean to say it was superior doesn't authorize you to accuse me of having edited what you wrote when a quick comparison of my quotes of you with the posts which i quoted will show i did not do that.

Quote:
Once again you are adding in something I never said. I never said that other religions don't or are not concerned with the human condition. I only stated that buddhism is. You keep adding in something for which I never stated.

That was a question on my part, not a statement. You had written: Surely there would have to be differences. Not all roads lead to the same destination. You can maintain an equanimity with all religions but I can't. Think of me what you want because of that, it does not matter. Not every fruit is eatable, not every berry is poisonous. Therefore, as you had asserted that buddhism concerned with the human condition, i was asking if you were now asserting that other religions are not. If you say that was not your intent, fine. You however, do own the implications of what you write, and it is not a straw man to ask you what you meant.

The superiority (or otherwise) of buddhism is not the topic of the thread. That was introduced by a later post of the author to which i responded (and i've already pointed this out to you). In your first post in this thread . . .

You wrote:
I would like to address this issue of "superiority" if anyone cares.

So please do not allege that i'm playing a game. You can call my remarks in response to the author's subsequent post a change of topic, but you chose to address it. Nobody forced you to do so, and i was not saying you shouldn't be in the discussion if you did not address the "non-topic" (your term, not mine). I was refering to the fact that you had begun your contribution here by saying you wanted to adddress the issue of superiority, which was not the original topic. That's all.

Quote:
I don't think you understand the analogy.

While i don't think you provided an analogous comparison.

Quote:
If you are not knowledgeable about buddhism than how can you defend the premise that it is not superior in terms of how concerns the emotions? Doesn't this leave your knowledge lacking the ability to make a proper assessment? You claim that all religions are equal yet how can you state that if you don't have sufficient knowledge of buddhism?

I don't have to defend such a premise. Anyone purporting that buddhism is superior assumes the burden of proving the case. So far, i've not seen anyone do that.

By the way, it is another straw man that i have claimed that all religions are equal.

If you now want to claim that you were only claiming buddhism is superior with regard to control of the emotions, that's fine by me. You haven't demonstrated that, either.

In a certain sense, all rhetorical exchanges could be called games--by stretching some points. But i am playing no games with you. I have been honest with your througout. Of course, if you would rather just condemn my remarks as game playing, and bow out, help yourself. In no part of my discussion with you was i just playing a rhetorical game. I honestly told you what i inferred from what you had written, and i clearly correctly stated what you had actually written, because i quoted what you had written.

That last post was a pity party on your part. You opened your first post in this thread by saying you wanted to address "the superiority issue." I have not dumped any false premises on you. I have either told you why i took the inferences i took, or i have framed my suspicions as questions. That's neither dishonest, nor game playing.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:19 am
@igm,
Your inability to read and comprehend the English language is not evidence of any grammatical failings on my part. Interpretation can only be used so far as an excuse for imprecision of expression or just plain silly statements. My advice to you is not to overwork the claim.

In your post at the bottom of page four . . .

You wrote:
I disagree… but I’m not surprised by your reply… it shows all your essential qualities and your skill in debate.

So started the train of insults with that snide remark. Now, as you've done so often, you're attempting to claim some moral high ground on the basis of me insulting you. You started it buddy--it seems you can dish it out, but you can't take it.