Buddhisms similary to Christianity.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
have you ever seen the fella with a calculator?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:46 pm
...the core of the matter is to distinguish whether Buddhists claim any moral superiority over other religions, which they don´t, or that they simply firmly claim a belief in their own system, which they do and rightfully so...aside that needed strong inner cohesion for any healthy belief system to stand, facile mystifying rants upon the matter don´t ad or subtract any bit of wisdom or clarification...they amount to deliberate confusion paraded as knowledge wrapped up in a French Christmas box...sad !

...understanding History is about understanding tradition, not about judging it !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:54 pm
Mere ipse dixit, Mr. Know-it-all . . .
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:13 pm
...is all to clear that for some folks around, judging imbued rooted traditions without a good dosage of cultural relativism proves to be a bridge to far... ironic that they end up more "moralistish" then the "moralisms" they claim to fight...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

have you ever seen the fella with a calculator?

I have read him all right, yes, with my eyes...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm juding the cultural context, too, you jumped up bullshit artist. It has nothing to do with morality, it has to do with equity, with justice. You've already made it clear, though, that you're OK with religious dominance and hypocrisy. No surprise there.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
@Setanta,
...you are a fool if you truly believe there are n´t any dominant models wherever you go...it reasons that dominant models are natural and needed...diversity in culture is not about fusing it and cooking it all together in one big can...
...as far as I can tell most Buddhists are quite tolerant on others beliefs anyway...
Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:53 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
That there are "dominant models" (you ought to work for the government with your bullshit jargon) is not evidence that they have to be accepted as they are, that they should not be changed. That there are tolerant Buddhists is not evidence either that all Buddhists are tolerant, nor that the cultures in which Buddhists live are just fine the way they are. If there's a fool here, it's you.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That there are "dominant models" (you ought to work for the government with your bullshit jargon) is not evidence that they have to be accepted as they are, that they should not be changed. That there are tolerant Buddhists is not evidence either that all Buddhists are tolerant, nor that the cultures in which Buddhists live are just fine the way they are. If there's a fool here, it's you.

...what the heck ??? who said that they ( the dominant models) must be accepted by everyone ? I am merely acknowledging a fact which is natural and acceptable to an extent, instead of cracking my head against the wall and crying the world is unfair...I am not trying to indoctrinate anyone...and just where did I said that all Buddhists are OK ? In fact I can address you a few posts up saying the opposite...I spoke of what Buddhism preaches and not about how most people behave...you are well entitled to have your own beliefs and experience on Buddhism, or to form your judgements the way you want to, just don´t superimpose the superiority of your own conception to everyone else...ends up feeling ironic !
Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:33 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Jesus you're full of ****. I haven't cracked my head against a wall and cried the world is unfair, either. You talk like some kid in high school. I condemn Buddhism as i condemn any other religion, and i do so by pointing out that, as with any other religion, it is more concerned with dogma and cant than it is with the conditions in which its victims live.

Then you come along playing the wise man, distorting everything i've written in order to try to tell me how the world works. I had figured out at the very least the broad outlines of that before you were born, and had made a good start on filling in the details while you were still shitting in your diapers.

Your pose of wisdom and insight would be laughable were it not so pathetic. Don't expect to suck me any further into your game--you can't follow a coherent train of thought for a hundred yards.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:49 pm
@Setanta,
...poor rotten devil, you really think that by linearly and dramatically referring to the masses or on how most people behave here and there, in this and in the other side of the world, you have made a case teletubbie ? ...you haven´t presented a single line against Buddhism whatsoever, nor against any other religion for the purpose...you don´t have a clue on cultural relativism, nor do you understand tradition and what it means...so far you only have made a mockery of yourself by providing such simpleton understanding on what moves the world...your argument is nothing short of idiotic, a long laugh by reply is not enough to describe the hallucination it stands for...just imagine Religions have become/are the great demons of our days ! You are more then a fool you are a pretentious out of scale moron... I could n´t f****** care less how old you are, or whatever you were doing when I was born, you seem out of a f****** B series episode of the sex and the city...you are dead straight cheap ! you could only try to sell your dead horse to a bunch of retarded comediants like you...I won´t bother to reply to your bullshit no more cause it just is n´t worth it...I probably was drunk when I thought you would have something salvageable in that little chicken mind of yours...straight on ignore permanently you fool !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:44 pm
Dogmas did and do exist, and will keep existing forever as long time itself keeps running...be it Religion, the Nation, Football or any other f****** form of identity yet to be invented !
...one replacing another, one fitting after the other...
Understanding through history that dogmas are needed functional natural and with a purpose for identity in any growing system, while such system can contextually operate, should n´t be a big deal prevented the degree of stupidity does n´t reach critical mass !
0 Replies

Savaii

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Jesus 'If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also.'

Buddha 'If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words.'

Jesus 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.

Buddha 'If you do not tend to one another, then who is there to tend to you? Whoever would tend to me, he should tend the sick.

Jesus 'Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not let them be afraid.'

Buddha 'May fear and dread not conquer me.'

These are just a few of the hundreds of parallel sayings between Jesus and The Buddha.

Both religions have pillars of compassion and wisdom.

In the modern world it is pretty hard to say what is left of Christianity to be judged and would it have been the religion Jesus would have envisioned?

Jesus' answer to the world was one of self sacrifice the pope is the red carpet.

I think it is easy however to see much likeness between Jesus and The Buddha.

If you're interested the book is called 'Jesus & Buddha the parallel sayings'
Edited by Marcus Borg and the introduction is by Jack Kornfield (Jack is a buddhist.)
Eorl

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:41 am
@Savaii,
Indeed, there seem to be a lot of similarity between the teachings attributed to Jesus and those attributed to Buddha.( I have heard a Buddhist monk teaching gospel wisdom.) So much so I suspect Jesus may have spent his gap year off east. The interpreted religions based on those teachings are very different however. Then again there are branches of Christianity that have as little in common with each other.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Eggs-actly. Buddhists like to portray themselves as different, but i'm personally not buying that. Buddhists murder, rape, make war and to me, worst of all, reek of hypocrisy.

And among the worst hypocrisies is Buddhists blithely surveying the misery around them--the povery, the malnutrition or even stavation, the disease--and prating about the wheel of life, about the transitory nature of life, while they grow fat and happy off the gifts of the peasants.

To me, they cut from the same cloth as the smarmiest televangelist.

Setanta, given that the subject under discussion is (and I paraphrase): Is Buddhism Similar to Christianity; do you want a debate on this subject?

The Buddha said (and I paraphrase once more): I teach only two things: that there is suffering and how to put an end to suffering.

So can you debate this subject and if so do you want to?

If you don’t, then I must say all you have said so far is not about the subject of the OP and has therefore in this respect been irrelevant to the OP. You have attacked the actions of people that you believe don’t act in a way you believe is correct, this is not the same as following the teachings of e.g. the Buddha. Unless you can show that the Buddha taught those teachings, that led to the behaviour you condemn. So, it’s not about the behaviour of people but whether the teachings of Buddhism are, similar to Christianity in a way that’s not just superficial.

Also, some Buddhist teachings are given so that those who don’t want to study or meditate can have a simple manual to live their lives by. In this respect I can see a similarity to Christianity but this would include most religions and philosophies also. So I accept that there is a ‘how to live your life as a good person’, superficial similarity but the deepest teachings i.e. the heart of what the Buddha wanted to teach is for those who can spend time hearing, reflecting and meditating on those ‘hard to understand teachings’ this is what removes the root cause of suffering not just lessening the effects. To say that Buddhism is similar in this respect you’d have to show that the deepest teachings of Buddhism are similar to Christianity. At this level it would be hard to describe Buddhism as even being a religion it’s more like a mixture of philosophy and insight gained by reason and meditation.

So Setanta do you want to debate that: In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity?
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:03 am
@igm,
In fact, you must not have paid attention to the course of the thread (much like Fil d'A). On the first page, Sozobe basically said that Buddhism and all religions have the similarities noted, and i responded with the single word post "Word," signifying my agreement with what she had posted. However, Max subsequently posted, of which this is a portion:

maxdancona wrote:
I started this thread because of a few recent posts here claiming that Buddhism offers a better, truer spiritual truth than the other religions. All I am saying is that from my current perspective, one spiritual truth is as good as another.

Any time you gain a spiritual truth it comes at the cost of reason. This is because the term "spiritual" means things that can't be objectively tested or measured. They have to be accepted.

My post which you have now quoted was a direct response to that, and i quoted that portion of his post. So you can drop this grilling, this inquisitorial tone, and you didactic ipse dixits. What you allege Gautama taught is not relevant to the issue of the demeanor of those who claim to be adherents, nor to their actions. You allege that Gautama said that he taught only two things--that there is suffering and how to end suffering. He must not have taught very well, because not only is suffering still with us, but so many Buddhists exacerbate or even originate the suffering.

All of which is a germane response to Max's post, whether or not it is what you or Fil want to discuss.
igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:06 am
@Setanta,
So Setanta do you want to debate that: In a Non-Superficial Way Buddhism is Similar to Christianity?

I'll take that as a no then shall I?
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:19 am
@igm,
I see no point in debating that, given that it is neither the topic of the thread, nor something about which i believe you can be honest.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:27 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Eggs-actly. Buddhists like to portray themselves as different, but i'm personally not buying that. Buddhists murder, rape, make war and to me, worst of all, reek of hypocrisy.

And among the worst hypocrisies is Buddhists blithely surveying the misery around them--the povery, the malnutrition or even stavation, the disease--and prating about the wheel of life, about the transitory nature of life, while they grow fat and happy off the gifts of the peasants.

To me, they cut from the same cloth as the smarmiest televangelist.

Setanta, given that the subject under discussion is (and I paraphrase): Is Buddhism Similar to Christianity; do you want a debate on this subject?

The Buddha said (and I paraphrase once more): I teach only two things: that there is suffering and how to put an end to suffering.

So can you debate this subject and if so do you want to?

If you don’t, then I must say all you have said so far is not about the subject of the OP and has therefore in this respect been irrelevant to the OP. You have attacked the actions of people that you believe don’t act in a way you believe is correct, this is not the same as following the teachings of e.g. the Buddha. Unless you can show that the Buddha taught those teachings, that led to the behaviour you condemn. So, it’s not about the behaviour of people but whether the teachings of Buddhism are, similar to Christianity in a way that’s not just superficial.

Also, some Buddhist teachings are given so that those who don’t want to study or meditate can have a simple manual to live their lives by. In this respect I can see a similarity to Christianity but this would include most religions and philosophies also. So I accept that there is a ‘how to live your life as a good person’, superficial similarity but the deepest teachings i.e. the heart of what the Buddha wanted to teach is for those who can spend time hearing, reflecting and meditating on those ‘hard to understand teachings’ this is what removes the root cause of suffering not just lessening the effects. To say that Buddhism is similar in this respect you’d have to show that the deepest teachings of Buddhism are similar to Christianity. At this level it would be hard to describe Buddhism as even being a religion it’s more like a mixture of philosophy and insight gained by reason and meditation.

igm wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I see no point in debating that, given that it is neither the topic of the thread, nor something about which i believe you can be honest.

I disagree… but I’m not surprised by your reply… it shows all your essential qualities and your skill in debate.
Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 05:40 am
Ah yes . . . balked of your object, you resort to personal sneers. I doubt your honesty simply because you wish to debate the proposition. It is clear to me from that that your intent would be to demonstrate the spiritual superiority of Buddhism. However, whether it were Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, Parsee, Hindus, Jews, Sikhs, Christians, etc., all religiouis adherents insist on the spiritual superiority of their confession. The mountains of evidence for the venality and cruelty, and even murderous behavior of all religious adherents give the lie to any such claim. Were any one of those religious confessions spiritually superior, it would have eliminated the venal, cruel and murderous behavior of its adherents--yet that has not happened. Pointing to this or that individual or group which lives up the ideal is equally meaningless, given that all the religious confessions can do that, as well.

There is nothing in the posts of this forum to indicate that you have superior debating skills, either.