Netflix doubles-down on the derp

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
Irishk

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 01:37 pm
I still love Netflix's customer service. When returning a movie the other day, I accidentally stuck a CD in the little envelope instead of the Netflix disc. I got a hilarious email from them about my goof-up (they really do have a sense of humor about these things). I quickly stuck the right disc in an envelope and mailed it off and guess what? They returned my CD to me hahaha!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:43 pm
Quote:
LOS ANGELES — DreamWorks Animation, the company behind successful movie franchises like “Madagascar” and “Shrek,” said it had completed a deal to pump its films and television specials through Netflix, replacing a less lucrative pact with HBO.

The Netflix accord, which analysts estimate is worth $30 million per picture to DreamWorks over an unspecified period of years, is billed by the companies as the first time a major Hollywood supplier has chosen Web streaming over pay television.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/business/media/netflix-secures-streaming-deal-with-dreamworks.html?_r=1

Of course Netflix still loses Disney and Sony Pictures in Feb.......Dreamworks has made 22 movies in 13 years, mostly geared towards families with young kids (which does not describe me).....this in no way makes up for the loss.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:20 pm
@Irishk,
Just curious... what was the CD sent and DVD supposed to be sent?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:26 pm
@DrewDad,

This bears repeating! Thanks DrewDad for bringing it here.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:53 pm
I joined Netflix streaming a couple months ago. I'd loaded up my "Instant Queue", and had been watching the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett) lately. I was about mid-way through the second season, and had all of the movies that had been spun off from the series also loaded in my queue. On Wednesday, when I went to resume the episode I had been watching, I could not find it in my queue .... and I found that the series and the movies were no longer available to be viewed by streaming, but could be watched via the DVD service (which I don't have). No explanation.

What the hell's up with that?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's the main frustration that is Netflix streaming. They have these deals with the production studios that make some of the selections EXPIRE from their streaming inventory.

If they continue with this arrangement then they need to make the expiration dates more easily known to the potential viewers.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
If they continue with this arrangement then they need to make the expiration dates more easily known to the potential viewers.

Yeah, that would be helpful.

("Warning: This video will disappear from this list in 2.67 days, so you should hurry your ass up and watch it. Have a nice day.")
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Just curious... what was the CD sent and DVD supposed to be sent?

The DVD was I, Robot (we'd never seen it...we liked it!)

The CD was Adele21 made for me by Mr.Irish. I'm so glad I got it back!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I finally heard a decent explanation for why they're splitting things up. The problem was that every DVD customer was also a streaming customer, and since they're paying x amount per streaming customer, those DVD-only customers were costing them big bucks.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:58 am
@DrewDad,
Netflix Kills Plan To Split Off DVD Rentals
by The Associated Press
NEW YORK October 10, 2011, 08:47 am ET

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141207744
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Then plan on seeing a "surcharge" or "delivery fee" for the DVD through Mail service sometime in the future. I think they just gave up on the Shock and Awe technique and are opting for the sneak it in under the radar technique instead.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 09:06 am
@rosborne979,
[sigh] I hope you're wrong but you're probably right.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Netflix Kills Plan To Split Off DVD Rentals
by The Associated Press
NEW YORK October 10, 2011, 08:47 am ET

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141207744

I'm still waiting for my e-mail from Reed Hastings apologizing for his previous e-mail apology.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:19 am
@joefromchicago,
This is the lousy email I got this morning on the subject. Not much of an apology:
Quote:
Dear...

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
This is the lousy email I got this morning on the subject. Not much of an apology:
Talk is not going to help them at this point...the only thing they can do to fix this is to take that extra revenue and put together some kick ass streaming content. Given how little money they have however this is going to be difficult. Netflix has made the job even harder by losing so many of its customers, as this makes content providers less willing to do deals on good terms and also entices other better financed firms to come in and try to out perform Netflix.

What has happened is that is the very short span of 6 months management has taken itself off the pedestal and called into question is basic competence. This is going to be very difficult to recover from, these boys need to do something really great right now if they want to stay the streaming leaders.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
This is going to be very difficult to recover from, these boys need to do something really great right now if they want to stay the streaming leaders.

Who are the other streaming leaders right now?

I'm not aware of anyone else offering a similar range of content at $8.99/month unlimited. I'm aware of Hulu and Apple and Amazon, but none of them have anything similar for the price. Are there any others I should look into that offer unlimited downloads in that price range with similar content? Thanks.
Irishk

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:04 pm
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/t?s=NFLX&lang=en-US&region=US&width=300&height=180
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:42 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I'm not aware of anyone else offering a similar range of content at $8.99/month unlimited. I'm aware of Hulu and Apple and Amazon, but none of them have anything similar for the price. Are there any others I should look into that offer unlimited downloads in that price range with similar content? Thanks.

Try Blockbuster.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Who are the other streaming leaders right now?
That is not the issue...If Google or Microsoft wants to do it they can buy content and have set up in 30 days the computer system to run it just as well as netflix does. It is very easy to type in a new internet address and type in my credit card info and thus change providers. There is nothing that Netflix brings to the table that many other companies could not very rapidly also do if they wanted to, there are no patent or expertise issues that blocks out other companies.