Why are some atheists so arrogant?

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 12:56 pm
Well, i'm not saying ALL atheists, but quite few i've noticed will be very insistent and arrogant when they mock religious people, for example, when we see Christopher Hitchens talking to religious man he will always try to make the religious man look like he is discussing minor unimportant issue and in the book The God Delusion, the author Richard Dawkins keeps trying to belittle people for their religious belief in very smug way. I am not saying that i despise those atheists but just that some will treat religious discussion with such childishness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,853 • Replies: 48

raprap

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:05 pm
@mt774,
And you aren't?

Why do the pious feel so defensive when confronted by skeptics? Why do many of the pious react so arrogantly?

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:08 pm
Mirror. Happens on both sides endlessly.
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:14 pm
Many atheists though seem like they are from high class background and their attitudes towards religious are more off-putting.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:21 pm
@mt774,
I grew up attending churches and listening to the ministers damning atheists, who were not there at all, except occasional scared little kids like me. You seem to have a grudge in the matter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:26 pm
There's a line in Marlowe's Dr. Faustus where Mephistopheles says 'it comforts the wretched to have others suffer,' (or something like that, I'm quoting from memory.)

Obviously, realising the futility of existance can be a bit of a bummer, so the best way to deal with it, is to make everyone else feel as ******* miserable as you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:30 pm
Speaking as an atheist, I agree with you that Dawkins and Hitchens are as self righteous and arrogant in the presentation of their thoughts as any fundamentalist believer. Fortunately, neither of the extreme views represent the majority of either group.
mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:35 pm
For someone that may be undecided for example, then a lot of religious figures who speak in media seem caring; quietly spoken and frugal, but a lot of those atheists are very boisterous, aloof and intransigent on matters such as solace.
JPB

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:38 pm
@mt774,
I've never seen Dawkins or Hitchens ask for contributions. The so-called thoughtful and caring evangelicals, OTOH...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@JPB,
Well said.
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:54 pm
@JPB,
But why atheists always seeming interested in intellectuals and good food and wine, you do know that those religious men are interested in helping poor people in the ghetto and giving them hope, Dawkins wouldn't understand a black person's religion in the ghetto cause he is one of those uptight Englishman.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:00 pm
@mt774,
Who are you calling uptight? Git!
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:02 pm
Wow! I guess most of you guys are atheists, why so much people abandoning religions, i am seeing so much atheist everywhere!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:09 pm
@mt774,
This is total crap! I don't know a single atheist who isn't as concerned with the wellbeing of the poor as the most fervent theists I know. Where are you getting all this stuff?
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:14 pm
It's hilarious to think of someone like Jim Bakker, with his solid gold bathroom fixtures, being held up as a compassionate lover of the poor. These clowns routinely fleece the poor for their contributions so that they can live in the lap of luxury. Neither Dawkins nor Hitchens speak for me, and i don't really give a rat's ass what hateful stereotypes allegedly "loving" christians have about me.
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:15 pm
@JPB,
I am saying that most of those atheists will be of the type saying "That's life, deal with it" when people will suffer hardship and at least the pious gentleman will try to offer that hope in the most severe of circumstance and not be cold and bluntly saying "There is no god". Black people and many poor always have their religion and it is arrogant for some well-dressed guy who fine dines with intellectuals and elites to deny that to them.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:17 pm
@mt774,
what of poor atheists?

what do most of them say...?

or poor amerindian atheists, god forbid...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:17 pm
Nobody's denying them anything. They are free to believe as they will. If they are offended by fools like Dawkins or Hitchens the remedy is simple. Don't pay any attention to them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:24 pm
@mt774,
You have no idea what you're talking about. Again, where are you getting these ideas?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:42 pm
I am a believer. Unfortunately, I see arrogance in many of faith. It comes in all colors. Also, I must admit, one of the sweetest females that I know is an atheist.

Also, some of the most arrogant people I know are of organized religions. They have it pounded into their head that if you are not of their particular brand of religion, you are doomed, and they sneer down their noses at you as if you will do nothing but burn in hell. This is why I worship in my own way. I do not need the evil within most of these religious organizations leading me down their narrow path.

Truly, arrogance is not preserved for the atheists of this world.
0 Replies