The Goodbye Girl

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:45 am
Just saw this (the original) for the first time last night. A lovely movie.

have you seen it? what did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 914 • Replies: 6
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:54 pm
That is such a great movie. I remember watching it when I was about sixteen. Richard Dreyfuss is hilarious! And that kid was such a great little smartass.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:03 pm
The original was great, IMO. Dreyfuss was made for that role. He's perfect as an anal actor. (Hmm)Loved his whining about Richard. The director's direction (effeminate humpback with a pronounced limp) and his response cracked me up. That was my favorite role by Marsha Mason. (That's really not saying much...)
Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:17 pm
I loved it, too. The lovely crafting is is clear, because it was a play, and, as Sofia says, the acting stuff is hilarious - from her recognition of his line about having a lawyer acquaintance in the very beginning on.

I am very fond of Dreyfuss. I like her, too.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
''Twas a nice film. I remember. Dreyfuss played a great character.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:18 pm
I saw the TV version of "The Goodby Girl" (with Jeff Daniels and Patricia Heaton) last week on TNT and enjoyed it...

I think Jeff and Patricia did a decent job even though the storyline seemed a little bland for today's market. Jeff played the role a little cooler than Dreyfuss did in 1977 which was fine with me.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
I just saw the original last week for the third time and each time I watch it, I see something I didn't notice before. I especially enjoyed the charisma between Dreyfuss and Quinn Cummings and I loved the dinner scene when Mason and Dreyfuss danced. Of course the play is my favorite scene. I didn't want to see the TV version. I just couldn't see how they might improve upon the original, but then, I'm prejudiced about remakes of a good movie anyway. (lol)
0 Replies