Born with a personality?

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:00 am
I took the test, it was fairly accurate. Apparently I'm an idealist. I found many of the question hard to answer. I think answers could sway at different points in a persons life. So are we born with a personality?

I think the key word in the test is personality type. Each person is unique, we have general words and we use them to describe children, for example and we do categorize them. A child may be a brat, or shy, or talkative, or a bully, or a loner... With a few words we can describe the temperament of a child, because one simple word, a generality can convey so much.
Life and experience either cement certain behavior traits, enforcing characteristics or they drastically alter them.

Ask a person to take a test like this one before and after they enlist. I'd bet a hundred smackeroons you'd have an entirely different person on either end, at least on paper. Events change people and force them to go against the grain, maybe sending over the edge or putting a fire in the belly. Education opens the mind, peer pressure molds minds.......... Different day, different answer.

However no test this simple could begin to characterize all the little quirks we have. So a type is a general thing, describing a day - a decade in the average life....but a personality is as rare as the human who created it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:31 am
Except for bluemonkey's, who I"m sure there'll be a textbook about one day.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:21 am
Quote:
Just keep raving on and on and eventually a few small minds might see something of value.

Or it could just egg you on to come back and comment ever so often. I don't know which one is better.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:33 am
Ceili,

They only give three paragraphs on the site, compared to 48 pages in the book.

I think they would answer the test the same. Which would never be able to do because anyone can answer it wrong on purpose. So the test would have to be worded different but that would be changing the test so you would really never know if they would answer the same or not.

personalities are going to be the same through a situation or not through a situation. All a situation does is make you stronger or weaker. Stronger in handling the weakness you have in your personality or weaker in keeping your bad habits from coming out as often. But still the same personality.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:12 am
I don't think so, most of the questions were based on what a person would do if...
If an eighteen year old enlisted who came from a background of few rules, don't you think his personality would be altered? Have you never met a highschool geek who went on to be successful? Have you ever met a person who suffered the death of a child. I have met many a person, who after a multitude of life's little curveballs, come out the end a different person. I don't think it happens all that often in a persons life, but it does happen. And granted at some point, you are who you are and not much will change you.
Too many of the questions I answered could have gone either way. I'll do the test again tomorrow and see if the results are the same when choose different answers based on who I am as well.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:23 am
Whenever there are set answer options, there'll always be conclusions to fit said options. Are you really that blind that you can't see this? Or does it package the world in the way you want it?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
Ceili wrote:
Quote:
If an eighteen year old enlisted who came from a background of few rules, don't you think his personality would be altered? Have you never met a highschool geek who went on to be successful? Have you ever met a person who suffered the death of a child. I have met many a person, who after a multitude of life's little curveballs, come out the end a different person. I don't think it happens all that often in a persons life, but it does happen. And granted at some point, you are who you are and not much will change you.

No. I don't think that any situation would change someone so drastically. As I stated before it would either strength what you already have or weaken what you already have. The only thing you would gain is knowledge. You would know something different. Someone who is always playful during high school then goes into the military only learns that he has to turn it off. It doesn't go away. It is always there. He just has to work at it to make it less there at certain times. Do not agree.

Quote:
Too many of the questions I answered could have gone either way. I'll do the test again tomorrow and see if the results are the same when choose different answers based on who I am as well.

You can answer another way, I could. But it was what happened most often. So if you put what most happen to you the first time then you wouldn't change. You would have to make a conscious decision, all the time, to make the change into the other side most often, and when you do you will find it taxing and just revert right back to what you put the first test.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:16 am
Wilso wrote:
Whenever there are set answer options, there'll always be conclusions to fit said options. Are you really that blind that you can't see this? Or does it package the world in the way you want it?

Are you really negative or do you just come about it naturally?

It is like I write and you don't read. But oh well good for you that I don't repeat myself otherwise you would find me boring.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:08 pm
A 16th-century European physician would look at a person and describe their emotional state in terms of a balance of the four humors. For them, it was a useful system of taxonomy. He (usually this was the case) could talk about a person who suffered from an excess of black bile and a deficiency of green bile, and another physician would understand, generally, what sort of behavior to expect from this person. Such descriptors are merely a way of quantifying something. You can be as precise or as general as you like. You can have one hundred categories or you can have two.

Take taxonomy. Sometimes it is sufficient to describe all living things in terms of their kingdom -- you are a eukaryote, many of the things that live on you are prokaryotes. Finer subdivisions are made -- unicellular protists vs. multicellular organisms, plants vs. animals, vertebrates vs. invertebrates, and so forth. You can even winnow it down to describe an individual species, or a subpopulation within that species, which is very specific indeed. Wink

But within that subpopulation you will still find variation. For instance, you might wish to divide the human species into 16 categories according to personality as defined by a predetermined set of behavioral traits, which you survey by answering a set of questions. This does not mean that finer gradations cannot be made, nor does it mean that there will not be individuals who do not fit easily into one class or another. (To this end, I ask you -- how thoroughly have you examined the methodology of this test? Do you really understand how it works, or do you just use it as a tool for classification? That is, are you a theorist or a technician?)

(And as for you assertion that somehow my present endeavors limit my ability to assess personality: I previously spent ten years studying and performing a theater, which is nothing if not primarily a tool for codifying human behavior and personality. I'd like to think during that time I developed some tools for both classifying and unclassifying, too.)
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
BlueMonkey wrote:
People do have different ways of growing up. Different environments. But the point is that there are very similar templates that coexist around the world. As much as people hate to be similar to someone else they are to an extent. It isn't like they are cloned.

16 personalities. It is a recipe. There can be one recipe but different people put different amounts of the same ingredients in and it comes out different. That is the same with the 16 personalities. There may be only 16 of them but just one of the personalities be different because of the different extremes that person has with in the "guidelines".

Instead of saying it again let me just quote myself, considering some of you are not paying attention. It is the same thing over and over and over again. People keep writing, there is no way there can be only 16 people are different bla bla bla. I get that. I have already gave you the reasoning to it and everything and yet people still have to mention it like no one has thus far.

You don't have to agree with me, but at least understand what I am saying. I understand everyone's skeptical attitude. But I have already stated within the 16 each one has different extremes.

I don't think anyone likes to answer the same questions over and over again. I have stated this before, and now I have to state it again.

As a note I am not mad. I am only frustrated that I have to repeat myself and so many of you don't like to do that and yet I am forced to. If people would read everything there would not be this problem of repeat comments.

And another note -- everyone spends time with many of people, not everyone pays attention and can spot the same tics in certain people. Some don't have the ability to catch onto such things. Some do a very small amount.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:03 pm
I'll be brief: the number 16 is arbitrary. It's all I'm trying to say, but I gather -- and I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding you -- that you think otherwise.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 03:11 pm
Ceili,

Lets try this. See if this is good or not.

As a child you loved stories such as fables, myths, and fairy tales--these stories being filled with magic and sorcery, and metaphors and symbols. Stories that were fantasy and use of far flung imagination. When playing you could play with a toy truck and even though it is a truck you could make it into a school bus for your action figures/barbies. A large cardboard box becomes a space ship, a wardrobe cabinet becomes a passageway to a secret world and so on.

From the time when you were a child you seemed preoccupied with how those around you, your loved ones, your classmates, or your circle of friends, are feeling about themselves. You were concerned with other's feelings of worth or with their self-image. You want to do everything you can to keep people feeling good about themselves. It is important to form personal relationships, especially relationships which help others fulfill themselves. You are compassionate with identifying with others and are often turned to for moral support.

You believe that bad things just happen and cannot be accounted for by any rational means. Your life is nothing without sensitive personal ties. You trust your intuitive powers, your feelings of first impressions about people.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:37 pm
BlueMonkey wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Are you really negative or do you just come about it naturally?

It is like I write and you don't read. But oh well good for you that I don't repeat myself otherwise you would find me boring.

Oh, I find you boring.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:58 pm
No surprise there.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
Sure thats me, but I find it hard to believe that this would only describe 1/16 of the population. What child is bereft of an imagination, adult sure, kids no.
I'm gonna take a stab here and say most people care about people and their feelings ect.
I believe most bad things often have a rational excuse. I'm pretty sure most if not half of the population could see themselves in what you have written.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:15 am
Nope. Because those children make one out of every single class room in elementry schools.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:37 am
Those ar the children that feel different because no one is like them until high school or College.There is only four groups children fall in.

Quote:
Out of all four the Idealist at a very early age have the ability to maintain and enhance empathic relationships with their friends and loved ones. This type of children ar apt to be almost hypersensitive to the feelings of those closest to them, and when their family members are in harmony they feel at peace with themselves, just as when their parents or siblings are distressed they are distressed right along with them.

Spanking an Idealist child can deeply hurt them and it is far more by the cruelty of the punishment than by the pain inflicted. Even if their brothers or sisters are spanked, Idealist will feel the hurt; they, far more than the rest, cannot bear to see other children being treated harshly.

In competitive games, little Idealists can be badly torn between a fierce desire to win and a sharp guilt for wanting to outdo a loved one.

Idealist children are not comfortable when deliberately playing a role with others, and they seldom seek applause. Of course, they try to fit in with people (thereby avoiding conflict and rejection), and they like to be praised by adults; but they do not base their self-confidence on such things. Quite the opposite: Idealist children, even as young as five, build their self-confidence on being authentic. But even more than being seen as authentic, Idealist children want to be recognized as unique individuals. "Identity Seeking Personality." In school Idealist often find themselves out of step with their classmates. They feel the difference between themselves and others, without realizing what the difference is. Idealist take some comfort in feeling that they are like no one else, one of a kind, as if special or singled out. Some Idealist children might even try too hard in school to be different or exceptional in their actions and attitudes, so important to them is their unique personal identity. (Making up less than 10% of the population.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:49 am
Quote:
Idealist children are not comfortable when deliberately playing a role with others, and they seldom seek applause.

Aren't you a singer, Ceili?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:56 am
It does say child in that sentince.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:48 am
So someone has done a study saying there's 16 personality types. The next study will say there are only 13. The next one will say there's 123. Big deal.
0 Replies