Born with a personality?

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:13 pm
And anything that's got fixed choices is guaranteed to fit anyone who takes the test into it's defined characteristics.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:14 pm
Opinion, nothing more.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
BlueMonkey wrote:
Opinion, nothing more.

While of course, you state cast iron facts. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
Wilso,

Do you keep old family things? Passed down? Photos?

Not everyone does.

If your parents got gravely ill who would watch over them?

Good try, these are not questions from the test. Nice thinking though.

Are you Securety Seeking?

Not everyone is.

Do you like more solid and sensiable topics?

Do you remember names and birthdays easily?

Do you think no one is allowed to ignore the rules just to have fun?

At school did you seek out courses that have some applications in the world of commerce and arts & crafts?

Do you expect the worse?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:26 pm
Wilso wrote:
BlueMonkey wrote:
Opinion, nothing more.

While of course, you state cast iron facts. Rolling Eyes

hook, bate and sinker.

Predictable
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
If you predicted a good rebuttal to your argument the only question I have is why you went ahead and posted it anyway.

This sounds like a guy who picks a fight, gets knocked out and wakes up to say he predicted that he'd be pummeled so.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:21 pm
Between the hook and sinker is a length of line.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:21 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
If you predicted a good rebuttal to your argument the only question I have is why you went ahead and posted it anyway.

This sounds like a guy who picks a fight, gets knocked out and wakes up to say he predicted that he'd be pummeled so.

The thing is is that I thought of writing something other than, "Opinion and nothing more". Which would be "and so is what I am saying." But why waste my breath. It is much funner (I know not a word) to do it that way. I knew he would say something to the line in which he said. Like, "Oooh so what you said is what the dictionary calls a fact?" Some people are predictable.

Not a bad thing. Just a useful thing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:49 am
Looked at the page. This is definitely looking, in large part, at culturally defined (or at least restricted) personality traits. In many Polynesian cultures, for instance, there is no such thing as introversion as a normal personality trait. Many of the first "westerners" to visit were viewed with great suspicion because of the amount of time they spent alone -- this was aberrant behavior, and, in some places, was thought to precede a violent episode.

Do people within a particular culture exhibit similar patterns of behavior? Of course; patterns of behavior are culturally mediated, right now to a broad range of facial expressions. I would expect that whatever behavioral predictions this model makes break down as the distance between the test-maker's culture and the test-taker's culture increases.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:12 pm
People do have different ways of growing up. Different environments. But the point is that there are very similar templates that coexist around the world. As much as people hate to be similar to someone else they are to an extent. It isn't like they are cloned.

16 personalities. It is a recipe. There can be one recipe but different people put different amounts of the same ingredients in and it comes out different. That is the same with the 16 personalities. There may be only 16 of them but just one of the personalities be different because of the different extremes that person has with in the "guidelines".
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm
Just remember, models are (hopefully) based on reality, not the other way around. Classical physics is a great, great model, but it is by no means a complete description of physical phenomena.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:02 pm
See physics is more complex because everything is not known. And it isn't an easy concrete thing to examine as is personality.

I know both are not concrete but hopeful you understand what I mean.

Personalities have been around for a really long time. The thing is that Plato had four different types of personalities that everyone was categorized in and what he had then could still be used today a lot of years later. And it has great points that are remarkable for when they were written to apply even now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
Quote:
See physics is more complex because everything is not known. And it isn't an easy concrete thing to examine as is personality.

As far as I'm concerned, you've got this exactly backward. Physics is far more quantifiable than "personality," which doesn't even have a precise definition. Rates of accelerations aren't judgment calls; introversion vs. extroversion (and scaling degrees to which both are "present" in an individual) is highly subjective subject matter.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:18 pm
introversion and extroversion are not subjective. It is apparent. And that isn't all there is to a personality. Maybe for you it is easier to deal with science than it is to deal with people. Emersed in your work, forgetting about what time it is let alone what day it is. But personality is so easier to grasp to me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:33 pm
Blue, you're a cult member waiting to happen.
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:36 pm
Blue, i think somebody said this before but if you're categorising people into groups you have to be very specific. The 16 categories are very VAGUE and can be interpreted in many different ways for different people, even those within the same personality categories. The members seem to be arguing for more stringent and inclusive definitions of personilities and i agree. For example, when saying that somebody is has x common extrovert traits and y introvert traits, this means there are xy traits at the very least which say whether you are introverted or extroverted. Within any category there is a lot of space for questions of degree as well. I'm not rejecting that people can fit into 16 different categories but that to do this simplifies the problem.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:50 pm
Blue, curious, what is the name of this test, where can one read about it? or take it?
Thanks,
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:44 pm
It is the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II. I think it is at the website which is www.keirsey.com. They do have information there on each of the diffrent personalities also. It isn't detailed as the book but gives an idea, which is good enough.

I could post the questions if you want. Otherwise they are at the website.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
Wilso wrote:
Blue, you're a cult member waiting to happen.

As nice as the comment is I just can't take it seriously.

Oh and usually when I state something that isn't true, previously, I get a quote and then a statement that it isn't so and why. But not from you. Which is good not to get the same thing all the time. But it also makes me think I am right. So if that is what you were going after good job it worked.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
Just keep raving on and on and eventually a few small minds might see something of value.
0 Replies