Everybody's seen Jaws, right?

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:58 pm
Well, remember right before the 'we need a bigger boat'/radio-smashing scene, before Brody gets an up-close gawp at the shark he's trying to tie some knot that's supposed to pull free when you tug on both ends, and he keeps ending up with a little knot in the middle of the rope when he tries it, then he does it, yells 'Got it!' and the fishy does its thang.

WHAT...is the name of that knot? A gold star and a pat on the rump to he who brings me the answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:38 am
Hey, cold storage. Welcome to A2K. Well, I know it's not a granny knot. Must be a half hitch.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:47 am
Hmmm.. The Screenplay only ever mentions two types of knots - double and barrel knots. But neither of those would pull free when you tug on both ends. *shrugs*
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:30 pm
Quote:
[As Brody sends the air tanks flying]
Hooper: Dammit, Martin!
Brody: Well, what the hell kind of a knot was that?
Hooper: You pulled the wrong one! If you screw around with these tanks, they're going to blow up.
Quint: Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper. Hey, Chiefy! Next time you just ask me which knot to pull, all right?

Sounds like a slip knot to me but, yeah..doesnt say does it.

There was another part where he was teaching him knots as well...I believe we have two different items to choose from then so, depending on which answer you were looking for, eh...here ya go.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:27 pm
it's a bowline
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:31 pm
I'm with the Captain on this. Laughing
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
i wouldn't bet the bank on it if i were you....
0 Replies

cold storage

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:19 pm
I thought it was slipknot, too. But a slipknot's the one you see on nooses, the one that slips up and down the rope it's attached to.

I looked at knot lists on the net, the bowline sounds about right...you guys need a Knot Forum, for all our knotting needs. Confused
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:11 pm
A bowline knot is wrapped around a cleat -- I believe he was trying to tie a mariner's hitch knot.
0 Replies

sirdrinksalot

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
man i love that movie i don't know if any one watched
it on itv (in the uk) today thay cut like the hole of chrissie's
death scene that's the best part of the movie
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:55 am
For knots that easily untie check this out.
0 Replies