sozobe

Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:41 pm
Hi xmom! How old is Xian? (Christian?)

Miscellany:

- One long-standing quirk is that she abbreviates/ makes a nickname for everything she can. (Future president of the United States?) "Ponytail" is "pony." ("Are you giving me one or two ponies today?") "Baby" is "babe". ("Dana's little brother is such a sweet babe.") Etc.

- She told a story about an argument at preschool. They were playing with some stuff that was like playdoh but wasn't playdoh. The boy she was arguing with insisted it was playdoh. She repeated what the teacher had said, that it was gloop (made with glue.) Then she described how they went argued, "playdoh, gloop, playdoh, gloop, playdoh, gloop", using a tennis-match body orientation to indicate the back-and-forth.

- She's getting into jokes, purposeful humor. Her sense of humor runs to knock-knock jokes -- who's there/ boo/ boo who?/ you don't have to CRY about it! absolutely slays her. She's trying original jokes, too, though. She asked me the Spanish word for "pet", and I said sorry, I dunno... I know how we can find out, though! She asked how, and I said, the computer! She got a knock-knock gleam in her eye, cocked her head and said, "The computer? I didn't know the computer was Spanish..!" -insert rimshot-
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:18 pm
omigod....
0 Replies

xmom2704

Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:55 pm
Hello sozobe. I love, love, love reading all of these sozlet stories. I am not able to get online that often,but when I do I try and put my 2 cents into the stuff I can. Xain (Zain) is only 8 months old. He is my Heart. It seems like just yesterday I was preggo with him. Why do they grow up so fast???

xmom
0 Replies

Wy

Wed 20 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Oh, xmom, you sound like a sweet mommy. You just wait, it gets better and better... My own is 15 and I remember astonishment -- where did all these teeth come from??? when did she get so big she filled the bathtub end to end??? how is it she won't fit in her Little Red Bed (crib matress with a "big-kid" frame???

She's still astonishing me. And it's still getting better.
0 Replies

xmom2704

Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:54 am
Well Xain is now standing up all by himself but he isnt moving any where. When i saw him do it yesterday i just started crying hysterically and hubby thought there was something wrong so he ran into the room and when he saw what i was crying for i felt like such a baby. I look at his hospital and newborn pictures and wonder how in 8 months he has changed so so much???? It really isn't fair!!!!

xmom
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Standing all by himself! Wow!

I know, that's part of my motivation with writing this stuff down -- they change so fast, and I forget it so fast, and want to keep ahold of what I can.

The pace does slow a bit -- almost-4-y-o daughter is a lot more like her almost-3-y-o self than her almost-3-y-o self was like her almost-2-y-o-self (if you follow...)
0 Replies

xmom2704

Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:13 pm
Yeah I follow. When did sozlet start walking??? I dread the day that xainie does.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:28 pm
I think it was 10.5 mos. Toddlerhood is great tho.
0 Replies

xmom2704

Thu 21 Oct, 2004 04:36 pm
i watch a 2 year old little girl and sometimes she says some of the craziest off the wall stuff and i think to mysel "i cant wait till xain does stuff like that."
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:48 pm
Yep it's fun.

I think I mentioned already that one thing the kid likes to do these days is copy words that we write out for her. We have some ASL magnets on the fridge -- ASL sign on one side, English word on the other. She took one over to her table and copied the word, HUGE. (11 X 17 paper, took up the whole thing.) She did a great job, including converting from lowercase on the magnet to uppercase, so we put it on the fridge. Thing is, the word is "sorry", so it's kind of weird to have this giant "SORRY" on the fridge. Maybe showing her Jewish heritage? ;-)

Me: Let's put the pumpkins out front.

sozlet: But they're not jackolanterened yet!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
<saw this great recipe in November's Traditional Home today... for baked baby pumpkins, seeds taken out after slicing the top, and stuffing cavity with salt and pepper and bread and milk and gruyere or swiss cheese, oh, 'scuse me, wrong thread>
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:28 pm
mmm sounds great!
0 Replies

squinney

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:43 pm
PSSST! Sozobe. I have a new avatar for you through Nov. 2. It's at http://democraticbuttons.freeservers.com/RosieOval.JPG if you want to check it out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
OoooooOooh!! I love it!

I have to fiddle with resizing but I love love love it thanks!!
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:08 pm
Osso - you have me salivating, did you post the recipe elsewhere? And, if so, where?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
No, I didn't. The picture is in this month's issue, we just got it yesterday. But the magazine doesn't carry the recipes...

you look on line at Traditionalhome.com, I think. November's recipes are there. I like alllllllll of them. But the picture of the baby pumpkin (one can substitute mini acorn squash...) looked soooooo good!

I tried to look back for October's, and no go. So check it now...

There was also another vegetable thing, a veggie fricasee that sounded good...
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
From another thread (I tend to think of things I want to record for posterity to put here, but there are things I don't currently want to remember that are nonetheless part of the picture:)

sozobe wrote:
My little terror is not in the mood for a rainy day, and just did some sort of a flip on the couch as we were sitting there reading, kicking me in the nose hard, which led me to rip off my glasses and clutch my nose (it HURT!), and she had the grace to apologize but I was spending too much time groaning and clutching my nose (it REALLY hurt!) and so she went back to her acrobatics, I had a sudden realization about my glasses, jumped up to try to find them, yep... she'd stomped all over them. Both lenses out of the frames.

So more yelling and more apologies (at some point I said "apologies are really really nice but I'd rather you didn't DO it in the first place!!"), I went upstairs to either put contacts in or wrestle the lenses back into the frames, took a while but I got 'em back in (whew), came downstairs and she had cut off the plastic packaging for a DVD from the library because she was "having a hard time opening it". ARGHHHHH!!!

Gymnastics class in 45 minutes, if I can last that long that will be a perfect outlet.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:15 am
ooooh, I have said that 'don't apologize, just try not to do it in the first place' thing a lot! Silvi went from sorry sorry sorry sorry (ad nauseum) to not apologizing at all.

How's your nose?
0 Replies

squinney

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:19 am
soz- I read along here and chuckle to myself. It only gets better, so take heart! Laughing

(Boy, I love hindsight)
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
My nose got better fast, was intense pain for a while but not that long.

I hope she doesn't stop apologizing!

Thanks, Squinney, good to know. :-)
0 Replies