Best movie this summer?

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:24 pm
Every summer there are one or two really good movies that you think you'll remember always. So, which two movies this summer will you never forget?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,749 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:03 pm
@Pemerson,
I haven't really been to see any grown up movies this summer so I'm hoping people come in with some good suggestions.

Two movies I'm looking forward to seeing is "The Help" and "We Need To Talk About Kevin".
Pemerson

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:11 pm
@boomerang,
The Help was one of the two movies I just loved, very serious, but one funny movie too.

Second would be Rachel's Key but that could be the best movie of the year, or decade. With our ticket came a book of same name, free. I started reading it the minute I got home, finished it in 3 days. Oh, God, what a story. I'll never feel the same about France again. It's a must-see.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:14 pm
@boomerang,
"The Help" is also a movie I'd like to see, as I read the book, dto. for "Water for Elephants" - I loved the book and I hope the movie is good too!
Another one is "Bridesmaids" - haven't seen it yet, but everyone is raving about how funny it is.

So, it boils down to it that I haven't seen any of them Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:28 pm
@Pemerson,
My mom was telling me about the book "Rachel's Key". She said that I absolutely had to read it so it's on my must read list.

I've read some strange reviews about "The Help", asking why movies about black people always have to be carried by white actors. I don't remember thinking it was a "black book" when I read it so I'm surprised some people consider it a "black movie".
Pemerson

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:40 pm
@boomerang,
Well, The Help takes place during the 60's about the time Medger Evers was killed, as was then President Kennedy. The white lady writes a book about the "help" which refers to the maids in a small town in Mississippi.

How would you separate what the white people were doing, without the black maids finally finding their groove, allowing the white journalist to tell their side of the story.

I liked the movie "Buck," too. Precious story, about one of Robert Redford's "authentic" people. Water for Elephants was fantastic.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:14 pm
I thought it was "Sarah's Key" and "Rachel's Secret" - two different books..
haven't read Rachel's Secret, but "Sarah's Key" is a beautiful read.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Funny, I made the same mistake yesterday, calling the movie Rachel's Key.
0 Replies