Do you have a criminal record?

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:20 pm
I'll find out in a few weeks if i'm gonna end up with a criminal record...Never except gifts from people that claim to be your friend....its a trick.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 05:13 am
Hey Gautam, Fiona wants to know, who was your dad, that so impressed the Indian policeman?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
Allrighty - This is not legal advice. This is just practical 'keep your butt out of the can and the cops off your case' advice.

Get your anger class done ASAP. The courts (lawyers, judges, and clerks) get annoyed at time wasted by putting off because you haven't held up your part of your plea conditions. Remember - lawyers and POs can make deals, but judges can always do what they want, especially if they're annoyed when you're standing there in front of them.

If you are pleaing then you won't technically be convicted of a crime, so you can check off the 'no' box on applicatons.

This part is VERY important:

Expunging isn't the same as 'sealed'. The only way a record can be sealed is to go before a board and request it - and they almost never seal a record. Even if they DO seal a record, it's still accessible to everyone with a computer in a police station, a court, and a prison. And they always look, evenwhen they're not 'supposed to'. Expunged means that once you're off probation, any suspended sentence is no longer applicable to you.

This part is VERY VERY important:

Although you won't be convicted of A & B on an officer, you were charged with it. Every cop that you ever meet will pull this charge everytime they run your name. You'll always get a ticket. You'll always get arrested. You'll always get whacked. No free rides. Ever.

So, as practical advice, finish your class now. Go to court, take the plea, meet every condition of your probation (don't miss a meeting, etc.), and lay low. Because any little thing you do between now and the end of your probation - you'll do your time for. If you have meetings with a PO as a condition and you miss them they can (and will) issue a warrant for you - especially if you've previously annoyed your PO.

After your probation has ended, live a law-abiding life and happily ever after. Normally I wouldn't be so serious, but the A & B charge, even if not a conviction, is what cops really don't like to see, and you kind of screwed yourself with that one.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
Sugar wrote:
If you are pleaing then you won't technically be convicted of a crime, so you can check off the 'no' box on applicatons.

I can only speak for the state of florida, but pleading (here anyway) does not mean you're not convicted. It only means you're not going to trial, and it saves the state a lot of money. Now, ADJUDICATION, here of course, is what convicts you. If you plead guilty (or nolo contendre/no contest), but the Judge adjudicates you, then you've just been convicted. The only time you're not convicted, is if the Judge says he's withholding adjudication.

Now, being a clerk in FL, I can only speak FOR florida, but I don't see why it would not be the same.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:33 am
I have a criminal record. I was convicted a couple of years ago of "Actual Bodily Harm"

I'm in a bar talking to 3 guys (they were all early 20's, I'm late 40s) Things had been going fine for a couple of hours then one of them took exception to something I said - we were discussing politics - anyhoo, he threw a punch at me and missed, I threw one and it connected, his two friends thought they would help out and joined in. I hurt, I hurt them quite badly. Now it appears you can't do that. Had I just taken my beating I would have had a bloody nose, the odd cracked rib and a good few bruises. Instead I get a ciminal conviction

Though everything in life is a learning experience because I did take on one important lesson. When the police come for you, lie, lie all the time, lie to the courts, lie to the probation service, lie to everyone.

I told the truth and paid the price, my three protaganists lied through their collective teeth and walked. Stupidly I believed in the criminal justice system right up until the moment I was sentenced.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:20 pm
Well i found out today that i'm not gettin charged. But I still think the bastards pulled a fast one on me.
0 Replies