Windows XP Professional Edition Question

neo

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 08:08 pm
Hi guys, i need your help, i got a call from my dad, he is panicing because there's a slight change on his computer. Whenever the comp is booted, (windows shows up, sign on screen, desktop icons and wallpaper shows up) Even the mouse pointer shows up and can be moved around on screen , but not clickable until the Windows startup music plays, which takes quite a while to play on start-ups. Approximately 1 minute and a 1/2. It's a fairly new system with 512 mb of memory. Disk clean-ups done regularly and old and unwanted programs removed from the Add/Remove Programs category under Control panel. Is there something that we can do to fix this slow music startup? One other thing, the original Wallpaper he had (downloaded from the Net) was also remove and a Microsoft desktop theme wallpaper was selected. Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 549 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:44 pm
It almost sounds like some sort of hardware conflict. The Windows startup sounds should come up with the splash screen - long before you ever see any desktop or when he clicks on his user name to bring up his desktop.

Has he got a serial mouse that is sharing an IRQ with his sound card or something? I'd check for hardware conflicts. If there aren't any I'd put the original wallpaper - the default theme - back up (maybe the desktop theme is searching for something (a file) in the theme that is missing???) and see if that cures it.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:59 pm
no serial mouse. one thing i failed to mention, we recently installed the software for a new canon printer. could that do it? How does one check for hardware conflicts?
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:04 pm
Turn off all sounds in the control panel.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:39 am
neo wrote:
no serial mouse. one thing i failed to mention, we recently installed the software for a new canon printer. could that do it? How does one check for hardware conflicts?

Anything is possible.

To check for conflicts right click one time on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties". When the System Properties window comes up select the "Hardware" tab at the top and then the "Device Manager" box. A Device Manager window will come up that lists all of the hardware in the entire system. Items with problem should have a red "X" over their icon. You can double click on the icon and there is a "Device Conflicts" text box in the general tab that will tell you if there are any conflicts and what they are.
0 Replies