Wasted talent

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:23 am
As I walked over to the library today, I started thinking of two movies in which very talented performers are utterly wasted. Unfornately, I don't remember the name of either disaster.

One starred Sean Connery and Joann Woodward as (I think) a beatnik era poet in NYC and his wife. What a waste of two very capable performers.

The other was a big budget, highly touted movie starring the recently defected Mikhail Barishnykov. The climax of the movie featured Anne Bancroft and Shirley McLaine, rolling on the pavement in a parking lot, hitting each other with their purses. Wow! Were I to make a movie with two great acresses like Bancroft and McLaine, I'd make certain they whalloped each other with handbags! It's so interesting to watch!

What movies do you think wasted talent?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
The Connery/Woodward film was A Fine Madness. I never saw it, but have read about it. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

The ballet film was The Turning Point. I loved it back in college (Baryshnikov was all the rage), and don't think I've seen it since.

I think there have been lots of films that wasted the talent of the actors - and quite a few where talent was lacking too! I'll come back and post when I think of some good examples...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
mac,
Good work on the titles! A Fine Madness was singularly unmemorable. My only image is of a fire escape.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 02:19 pm
Inchon(1981)
A film about the Korean War that was financed by
Rev. Moon starred Sir Laurence Olivier as General MacArthur. Now, thats wasted talent!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:58 am
thiefoflight,
WOW!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:12 am
Ishtar, Bonfire of the Vanities, Rock My World, with a very poorly used Peter O'Toole.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:22 am
I stopped flipping channels the other day because I recognized Peter O'Toole, but not the movie. It was King Ralph. Talk about a waste.
0 Replies