Meterosexuality...do you dig?

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
The new word of the week being tossed around is "meterosexual."
According to urbandictionary.com, here's some definitions:

"A guy who is in touch with his feminine side."
-Girls love him because he is a meterosexual.

A Meterosexual is a male (generally heterosexual) who lives in or near a metropolitan area, participates in all the latest fashion and beatification rituals and is absorbed by his first love, himself.
-David Beckham (The captain of Englands soccer team) is the original Meterosexual

"One who is gay in all aspects except for taking the c*ck into one's orifices."
-Chris is so meterosexual it hurts.

"A man who is heterosexual, and yet is very feminine. Someone who is meterosexual can sometimes be mistaken for a person who is homosexual, because it is a stereotypical beleif that gay men are "feminine."
-"Hey, I'm not meterosexual, I just like to shop!" exclaimed Jonas.

"Despite it's name, being meterosexual has nothing to do with one's sexuality. It's something you call a straight, heterosexual person who supposedly acts like a stereotypical gay man. Stereotypical, like acting somewhat "girly" and caring about their appearance as MANLY men are to be rugged, virile, filthy swines."
-According to what I've heard, Clay Aiken is supposed to be a meterosexual.

Interesting...so to what degree does a guy become a "meterosexual?" I don't know if I am or not...I'm fairly fashion conscious, but don't consider shopping for clothes a "sport" or let it highlight my weekend. I get haircuts often enough, but not at a salon. But I'm definitely not feminine or act "gay" in any way, at least that I know of.

Maybe I should become a self-proclaimed "metero." I bet I could use it to my advantage, by suing someone for discriminating against me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,174 • Replies: 60
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:04 pm
I've been hearing about this for months. From the chick's perspective, I don't really give a rat's a##. I have a lower-maintenance lifestyle than the alleged metrosexual, might be a bit bothersome to date one.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:14 pm
You mean it would annoy you if you had a guy who stayed at your place for the first time ask if you had any exfoliating scrub?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:15 pm
I'd laugh in his face and then might toss him out on his exfoliated and waxed butt.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
Am I a metero for using "exfoliating scrub" in a sentence?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:37 pm
hmmmm, borderline.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:38 pm
Hey, SlapDog, I cranked all those concepts through Google and this is what I guess your average metreosexual looks like:

http://home.deckpoint.ch/~inderbitzin/tinkywpurse.gif
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:41 pm
A few defining moments:

Giving detailed instructions on how you want your coffee at Starbuck's instead of just pointing to the menu.

Understanding the practicality of carrying a "Man-Purse"

Giving up your seat in front of Victoria's Secret with other guys waiting on their wives to go check
new arrivals at Pottery Barn.

Having the Pottery Barn/ Restoration Hardware/ Crate & Barrel catalog come addressed to you.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:55 pm
I just saw this on South Park last night. Thought it was a nutty concept created for the show. But it's a real, live trend, huh? Geez... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:59 pm
That South Park episode was great. The little kids arguing over who was gayer, and the metero pride parade.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
Slappy, I think it's "metro" as in "metropolitan".

I agree, though, that there's something vaguely foolish about the whole phenomenon. To me, at least. Like, isn't there more important stuff to occupy one's time with? Beer and sports, for instance...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
Yup, just what we need, another label.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
HA! {laughing}
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:41 pm
I have never heard that term (before now) but I don't think I'd want to date a meterosexual...I know one...he sits across from me at work. He is quite 'un' manly....would that be the basic layman's def for meterosexual?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:49 pm
Is he straight?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:04 pm
I know a guy who admits to metrosexuality, he's not "un"manly at all. He's into fine dining, though, and theater, and has great fashion sense.

Basically, I see a metrosexual as a straight guy after the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" folks have had their way with him. Ya know.

A couple of days ago, E.G. said, "You're right. Men are the new women." I've been saying this for a while, has to do with marketing opportunities. The market has pretty much topped out for women (though they're still doing their damndest), but MEN... if they can just convince men that wearing the same jeans, t-shirt and running shoes for weeks on end is unacceptable, that using shampoo and just shampoo every once in a while is gauche, that a beer belly is downright offensive, well, there's some serious money to be made.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:27 pm
{hmmm, soz has a new look.....}

I agree, the def isn't gay, but straight. It's just straight guys caring (a little too much, imo) about how they look.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:32 am
Dont see anything wrong in taking care of one's appearence, no matter what yr sexuality is....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:37 am
And being TOO obsessed with your appearance is dumb, no matter what gender, or sexual orientation, you are...balance in all things...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:50 am
My most recent ex could be called a meterosexual. We would talk about everything including hair, cloths, curtains, skin care, etc... He was interesting when he wasn't annoying. Gorgeous too.
0 Replies