Amy Winehouse

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 06:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's funny how so many people present her being a genius and being a 'wreck' as paradoxical. Why is that paradoxical?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 12:34 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

It's funny how so many people present her being a genius and being a 'wreck' as paradoxical. Why is that paradoxical?
I would go so far as to say that being a great artist almost REQUIRES being twisted. Winehouse also benefited from her brutal honesty, to include to herself.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:45 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
What is the paradox?

That a genius might be mentally unstable?

I don't know what the paradox there might be unless one believed that an extra-ordinary level of intelligence and creativity must be coupled with good sense.

Not all geniuses are self-destructive in any case.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I should add, the fact that I don't believe Winehouse was a musical genius has nothing to do with how "wrecked" she was.

In fact a better question might be why do so many people believe that a self-destructive nature is indicative of genius?

It very well be indicative of a desire to be seen as a genius, but that is something altogether different.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 03:11 pm
I don't think she was a genius - I think she was a nice, sweet girl who probably loved too much and didn't quite believe enough in herself.

She seemed like a nice person with a good voice, a sense of style- vocally- who was in the right place at the right time in terms of her career and in the wrong place at the wrong time in terms of her love life and predilection for addiction - to people and substances.

Why do people throw the word 'genius' around so casually now - Jesus - was Billy Holiday ever called a genius? No - just like my dad was never called a 'genius' but my niece whose IQ probably 20 points lower than his is called a 'genius' these days - the standard is definitely slipping.

But the more I learn about Amy - the more I like her - she doesn't have to be a genius to me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 06:09 pm
@aidan,
Agreed

( except the part about you niece and father whom I've never met )
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I don't think she was a genius
I dont recall saying that she was, I think my words were "very talented".

Quote:
But the more I learn about Amy - the more I like her
I certainly like her " I am going to do what I like" attitude, as well as how much she liked men...that she died after going on a bender after losing her BF is the stuff of a top notch tragedy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 07:04 am
The coroner who presided over the hearing into Amy Winehouse's death has just resigned, because she wasn't qualified. People are asking whether or not her verdict can now stand.

Quote:
A judicial investigation has been launched into the appointment of the coroner who chaired Amy Winehouse's inquest, raising fears that the circumstances of the singer's death might need to be examined again.

The lord chief justice, Lord Judge, has referred concerns about the qualifications of Suzanne Greenaway – who conducted the hearing last October into the death of the 27-year–old performer – to the Office for Judicial Complaints (OJC).

Recording a verdict of misadventure last October, Greenaway said that Winehouse had died from alcohol poisoning after a drinking binge following abstinence.

But Greenaway, who has now resigned, did not have sufficient legal experience in the UK when she was appointed by her husband, Andrew Reid, who is the St Pancras coroner in north London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/01/amy-winehouse-coroner-inquest?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies