Amy Winehouse

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:50 am
@Ragman,
I must admit I wasn't a great fan of Amy Winehouse, but I recognised her talent. I don't know why Finnbar has to come on this thread, and what he hopes to achieve. When anyone dies so young it is a tragedy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:52 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Now we have Adelaide following in her footsteps with her smash hit "rolling in the deep" which is getting played across multiple platforms.... ADELAIDE!..this fat chick from the UK that no label in their right mind would sign as a headline act if it were not for Winehouse.

Adelaide is a singer not a supermodel, she should be judged on her voice, not her weight. You wonder why people call you sexist.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:15 am
@izzythepush,
every one is sexist to some degree.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:21 am
@hamilton,
Probably, but there's no need to make a virtue of it.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:22 am
@izzythepush,
so sarah palin being elected pres should not be glorified?
i dont want her up any ways...
Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
It's Adele, not Adelaide.

Amy's style may have been retro but her vocaleeze is pure modern. She was the pioneer of the Northern Soul sound. Other singers mimicked the greats of the past, Amy stepped it up a notch. She wrote her own material. Her timing was impeccable and her phrasing natural, not over sung.
Adele may have borrowed a bit from Amy, and really why wouldn't she, that kind of music is very popular in the UK at the moment. She's a very strong singer/song writer of her own right.
Do we really need to have more beautiful, vapid musicians? Seriously? Have you heard Kourntney Kardashian's attempt, it was hideous. Did video really kill the radio star?

And for those who haven't been listening, while the Stray Cats had their moment in the sun... since then, Brian Seltzer has been nominated at least eight times and won three additional grammies. I'd say he's pretty talented too...
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:51 am
@hamilton,
Sarah Palin shouldn't be elected because she's a moron, not because she's a woman.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:53 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It's Adele, not Adelaide.

You're right, I wasn't thinking. I made the mistake of assuming Hawkeye knew what he was talking about. I won't be doing that again.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
I looked back and hoped that you didn't think my critical comment was directed at you but at Finn.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:42 am
@Ragman,
You've not got a track record of attacking me out of the blue, so I didn't think it was directed at me, but thanks for clarifying matters.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:02 pm
@izzythepush,
i'm glad we all understand each other! Smile
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:21 pm
@hamilton,
I'd be happier if Palin understood something. Anything.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
yeah. like that hawaii IS a state.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:40 pm
@hamilton,
I thought it was a state of mind.
hamilton

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:45 pm
@izzythepush,
a state of bliss.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A young girl with great talent has died tragically. If all you can do is sneer, you're an even smaller minded, sadder little nonentity than I thought you were. Why don't you show some respect for the dead you pathetic little man?

Climb down from that high horse before you fall and hurt yourself izzy.

It's sad that she was so self-destructive, but given that she was, her death at a young age was predictable, not tragic.

I think she had considerable talent, but it in no way rose to genius, which was the topic of my discussion with Hawkeye. I'm sorry if you didn't appreciate it but..tough.

People like Winehouse work very hard and often with desperation to become larger than life figures, to exempt themselves from convention and avoid any semblence of mundane normalcy like the plague.

I don't criticize them or her for seeking such a place in life but it changes the way other people regard them. In some ways this is beneficial to them and in others it is not.

I doubt Amy Winehouse would have the problem with what I have written in this thread that you seem to have. If someone is going to build fame and fortune, in part, on a song that capitalizes on if not celebrates their drug use, then it would be a bit rich for them to complain when it is referenced when they die by the same means. I don't believe Winehouse would have complained.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:35 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The pre-requisite human quality is one needs to have a heart. Even if there is no respect for the dead, a respect and a grasp for the condition called human frailty and/or failings must be acknowleged. When you stand in judgement of others and are aboveit all, there can be no such 'generosity ' of emotion.

I see you're up on the same high horse with izzy.

I've judged her talent, not her life.

I've suggested that her dying at a young age is no surprise.

The best example of judging others that I've seen in this thread come from you and izzy.
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If you said it, than it must be so.
jcboy

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 07:00 pm
I read heroin was her chemical of choice. If you watch the last concert from Belgrade she's constantly scratching and picking at her skin like she's got the creepy-crawlies, that's a classic sympton of heroin abuse. Poor kid. I don't condone any kind of chemical abuse but there are some that make life hell for the user long after the good feeling is gone. I lovd her music! A tragic end to a troubled life..
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

If you said it, than it must be so.

Likewise I'm sure
0 Replies