Removing a Property Lien

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:39 am
I have a lien on my property stemming from a small claims judgment against my ex-husband for a loan that he made and defaulted on after our divorce was finalized. The loan company even put my name on the judgment even though I had no knowledge of it.

Apparently, they were able to attach the lien because my attorney filed the divorce decree, which gave me the house, with the county clerks office but not with the land office which would have removed him from the house. As soon as I realized he was still on the house, I had a Quit Claim Deed prepared to remove him. I knew nothing about the lien when I had the deed prepared. The land office didn't mention anything about a lien when I filed the deed with them even though the lien had been filed several months prior.

Is there any way that I can make these people remove the lien without having to pay off a debt that isn't mine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,974 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

PUNKEY

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:15 am
You can sue your ex. for half, but good luck there.

His name was still on the deed, that's why they attached it to the house. They went after any property he had.

How much are you talking about?
soccermom5913

Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:01 am
@PUNKEY,
$1400 with an interest rate of 9.25% that accrues daily. It was $900 when it started out.
0 Replies