What are good resources for creating fictional comic book/cartoon towns/cities & mapping them out?

Ben Smith

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh I get it or I think I do ....

Calm Down!.....Calm Down!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/352840552_7a9a0a6ec7.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:15 pm
@Ben Smith,
Tasche/Perm/Merseyside.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:18 pm
You could look into some of the free online gardening design software and use that to design a fictional city. Just use the various hard scape icons for your roads and paths and use the various plant and tree shapes to represent buildings.
0 Replies

Ben Smith

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Funny stuff.
A guy I work with is a ringer for Barry (tall guy), stick he gets.
Aldistar

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well...it really depends on how detailed you want to get. A great deal of the comics running out there are established in real and current cities like New York, New York or San Francisco, California. When that is the case you just use the real city and it's landmarks. Sometimes you need to alter names of places that may be a copyright issue, but you can keep your favorite bookstore as long as you don't use their logos.

You should know that Gotham City is really New York City during its darker days with the major landmarks given a more gothic look with different names. Metropolis is really New York City as well at it's most sun-shiny with everything given a more modern look.

My best advice is to use the map of a city in existence that fits the shape you are looking for and just change the names of the businesses you want to use. Drive or walk around the town you live in and take note of what lies in relation to everything else. Questions to ask yourself are:

1. Where will my characters live? Rural? Urban? Suburbs?
2. Where will they hang out? Home? Mall? Arcade? Pool? Coffee House?
3. Is everything within walking distance? Do they have to drive? Car or scooter/bike?
4. Where will they work? Mall? Office building? Warehouse?

Answer these questions and create these locations first. Then you can begin to flesh out the buildings around them and use them in transition shots.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:28 pm
@Ben Smith,
That is a fantastic picture by the way. It just shows what a great bunch they are.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:40 pm
@Aldistar,
Thank you.
My main characters live in an urban setting - they live in their hometown, and they go and visit neighboring towns.

I am asking myself should they be living in towns or big cities?
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Thank you.
My main characters live in an urban setting - they live in their hometown, and they go and visit neighboring towns.

I am asking myself should they be living in towns or big cities?

This thread has told you where they should be living.

http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/general/location/map/fullmap.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:41 pm
@izzythepush,
I remember when I smoked Pall Mall I didn't know they named a street after those cigarettes.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:49 pm
@Sturgis,
The Strand.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:50 pm
@Sturgis,
A town is a small city. I know where my characters live - I am deciding if my heroes should live in a town or a city?

I think a city has more things going for it. If they live in a town that might get boring.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
How can you know where your characters live when you keep telling us you haven't created them yet?

How can you decide where your characters live when you don't even know what they do for a living. Maybe they can't afford to live where you are placing them.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
@Sturgis,
They are streetfighting cats and dogs that fight crime - I think a CITY would be better. Have you ever heard of any superheroes or action heroes fighting crime in a small town?

My main hero could work as a fitness trainer/guru or security guard. His sidekick could be a gym manager or something along those lines.

You know, the guy that trains people to box or work in a gym.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Or he could be a she and could be the chanteuse at a local nightclub.

Very sexist making your crime fighter a man.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:06 pm
@Sturgis,
MY MAIN HERO is MALE and HIS SIDEKICK is MALE. There are male and female characters in this.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well pardon me. I suppose Batgirl and Supergirl are beneath you....

...wait, that didn't sound right.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:09 pm
@Sturgis,
My characters are action heroes.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Not true.
They haven't done anything so far.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:13 pm
Streetfighters that fight crime - ACTION HEROES.

They won't experiment with being SUPERHEROES until later.