Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

Frank Apisa

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 11:27 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Your opinion is valid, thanks for your input and update.

Is your opinion more logical?

Opinions are opinions.

I'll leave it at, "My opinion is that "I DO NOT KNOW" is a better answer to the question, "Are there any gods" than all the other answers that are given by people describing themselves as atheists or theists."

Quote:
Is it that actually we ultimately don't know anything...

I dunno.

I suspect I "know" quite a bit. I know my name on my birth certificate is, Frank Apisa. I know Paris is the capital of France...and London is the capital of England. I know 2 + 2 = 4 in base 10. I know I am typing in the den of my home...on a keyboard that has to have the CAP LOCK key Scotch taped down.

I have no problem using "I know" for these things, even though the REALITY of existence may be so complex, all of these things may be illusions of some sort.

But there are some things that I cannot know...and suspect that others cannot either.

There are people who say that they have evaluated the evidence available...and now KNOW that there is a GOD (has to be a GOD)...and there are others using the same available evidence convinced that they KNOW there are no gods.

Me...

... I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;

I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...

...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

igm

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
"I DO NOT KNOW" is a better answer to the question, "Are there any gods" than all the other answers that are given by people describing themselves as atheists or theists."

Why is the atheist answer that they are: a person who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods, inferior to your opinion, in your opinion? The meaning of 'an absence of something' is very subtle and nuanced and is not asserting anything, is it?
Frank Apisa

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 12:17 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
"I DO NOT KNOW" is a better answer to the question, "Are there any gods" than all the other answers that are given by people describing themselves as atheists or theists."

Why is the atheist answer that they are: a person who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods, inferior to your opinion, in your opinion? The meaning of 'an absence of something' is very subtle and nuanced and is not asserting anything, is it?

If that were only the case!

Atheists have usurped the position of "without a belief in a god" using a faulty etymological predicate.

The word "atheist" SHOULD NOT MEAN without a "belief" in any gods, but relatively modern atheists have managed to force that definition on the world. Prior to, let's say, the 1950's...that was not the case. Prior to that time the word meant "someone who denies the existence of any gods."

Today...that is the essence of the use of the word as a personal descriptor. EVERY person I have ever known or know of who uses "atheist" as a personal descriptor has one of two "beliefs" regarding the existence of gods. Either they "believe" there are no gods...or they "believe" it is more likely there are no gods than that there is at least one god.

My guess (strictly a guess) is that EVERY person who has ever chosen to use the word "atheist" as a descriptor...does so because of one of those two "beliefs."

The notion that a person calls him/herself an atheist only because he/she is compelled to do so because of lexicography...is absurd.

Many, not all, atheists want to insist everyone without a "belief" in any gods must be deemed to be an atheist...for no good reason. The "if you do not have a 'belief' in a god...you MUST agree to be an atheist" has no logical reason for existing. People who are agnostic on the question should not be required to be deemed an atheist. Babies, toddlers, people intellectually incapable of forming "beliefs" should not be required to be deemed an atheist.

So...anyone who lacks a "belief" in any gods is NOT inferior to my opinion. I am such a person. I lack a "belief" in any gods...just as I lack a "belief" that there are no gods.

Follow up.

igm

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 03:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The word "atheist" SHOULD NOT MEAN without a "belief" in any gods, but relatively modern atheists have managed to force that definition on the world. Prior to, let's say, the 1950's...that was not the case. Prior to that time the word meant "someone who denies the existence of any gods."

You continue to make a strong case for your personal opinion which could be called agnosticism.

Doesn't language and therefore the meaning of words change over time? I believe linguists would say that language is always changing and the meanings of modern words can become the excepted meaning and the old meaning left to history or even both meanings present at the same time, perhaps during a transition period, and therefore some modern atheists have now redefined the term to mean 'without a belief in a god or gods. If this is the case then it is more subtle and nuanced and neither affirms nor denies the existence of a god or gods but just ignores the question due to its irrelevance. I do agree that there are also hardline atheists as you've pointed out, and what you've said applies to that group of atheists.

Don't you feel that one way to go is just to ignore the whole question of whether there are gods or not and focus on other topics? Doesn't that make logical sense? Is agnosticism sitting on the fence (if indeed it is, you would be a better judge of that than me) when there is no need to?

Frank Apisa

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 06:35 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You continue to make a strong case for your personal opinion which could be called agnosticism.

Doesn't language and therefore the meaning of words change over time? I believe linguists would say that language is always changing and the meanings of modern words can become the excepted meaning and the old meaning left to history or even both meanings present at the same time, perhaps during a transition period, and therefore some modern atheists have now redefined the term to mean 'without a belief in a god or gods. If this is the case then it is more subtle and nuanced and neither affirms nor denies the existence of a god or gods but just ignores the question due to its irrelevance. I do agree that there are also hardline atheists as you've pointed out, and what you've said applies to that group of atheists.

Don't you feel that one way to go is just to ignore the whole question of whether there are gods or not and focus on other topics? Doesn't that make logical sense? Is agnosticism sitting on the fence (if indeed it is, you would be a better judge of that than me) when there is no need to?

Here is my position, which IS agnostic:

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;

I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...

...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

If you think something as direct as that is "fence sitting"...go with it. I think it is not, but you have to decide that for yourself.

If you want to "ignore" issues that I find interesting, ignore them. I prefer to discuss them as thoroughly as possible. Good luck with whatever you choose.
InfraBlue

Mon 16 Aug, 2021 08:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Way before the 1950s, around the late 16th century, "atheist" was used as a pejorative meaning "godless." The very etymology of the word means "without god," what with the word predicated on the Greek word "atheos," a-without, theos-god.
Frank Apisa

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 03:00 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Way before the 1950s, around the late 16th century, "atheist" was used as a pejorative meaning "godless." The very etymology of the word means "without god," what with the word predicated on the Greek word "atheos," a-without, theos-god.

Correct!
igm

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for reiterating your agnostic position.
Frank Apisa

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:08 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Thanks for reiterating your agnostic position.

You are most welcome.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's a different definition from what you allege, though, "someone who denies the existence of any gods."
izzythepush

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:26 am
@InfraBlue,
Why do you care about what words Frank uses to call his theological outlook?

I don’t give a **** what Frank calls himself and I really can’t see why anyone else would.

Why do you care so much about something that only affects Frank?
izzythepush

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why do you care about what words Frank uses to call his theological outlook?

I had to check myself, I almost wrote beliefs, then quickly changed to theological outlook because I really don’t want to ******* go there.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:35 am
@izzythepush,
'Cause he's putting up his theological outlook for discussion, and using specious definitions of words therein.
Frank Apisa

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:45 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

That's a different definition from what you allege, though, "someone who denies the existence of any gods."

What are you talking about?

I have stated flatly that today's atheists had managed to co-opt the word atheist to mean anyone who does not have a "belief" that any gods exist.

They have. Many, not all, of today's atheists insist that anyone who does not "believe" any gods exist...are perforce ATHEISTS.

I do not "believe" any gods exist...and I AM NOT AN ATHEIST.

What a person does "not believe" should not define that person; what a person "believes" may.

I DO NOT "BELIEVE" ANY GODS EXIST.

I ALSO DO NOT "BELIEVE" THERE ARE NO GODS.

On the question of whether gods exist or not...I simply have no "beliefs" in either direction.

As for the etymology of the word...it has nothing whatever to do with "belief."
The word comes to us from the Greek through the French...and originally meant "being without a god." Yes, it may have been used pejoratively (almost certainly was)...but my point is that until about the mid-20th century, the word was defined more rigorously as, "someone who denies the existence of any deities."

Not sure of your point...or the nonsense that I am using specious definitions of words. I am merely pointing out the way the words have been used.

izzythepush

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 10:01 am
@InfraBlue,
So what.

Is it really worth all the to-ing and fro-ing?

I can’t see it at all, life is too short.
InfraBlue

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 11:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm talking about your specious definition of the word "atheist," alleging it's meaning, prior to the 50s, to be "someone who denies the existence of any deities," and saying it should not mean "without a belief in God." Since the 16th century, it's definition was associated with the term atheism and the various definitions associated with that term, with rationales for not believing in deities being the main definition, one that has always been associated with the Greek word atheos, from Classical times, from which the English "atheist" derives.
InfraBlue

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 11:19 am
@izzythepush,
For an all too short life, this is worthier than watching paint dry.
Frank Apisa

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 11:26 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

I'm talking about your specious definition of the word "atheist," alleging it's meaning, prior to the 50s, to be "someone who denies the existence of any deities." Since the 16th century, it's definition was associated with the term atheism and the various definitions associated with that term, with rationales for not believing in deities being the main definition, one that has always been associated with the Greek word atheos, from Classical times, from which the English "atheist" derives.

I have, on dozens of occasions, called attention to the fact that the etymology of the English word "atheist" derives from the Greek through the French...and originally was used to describe someone who was "without a god."

ONE CANNOT BE WITHOUT A GOD IF THERE IS A GOD.

So, in effect, it was an indication of someone who denied the existence of any deities.

I was not "defining" the word...I was merely pointing out its etymology.

I then pointed out that some modern day atheists have managed to usurp the word to mean ANYONE who lacks a "belief" in any gods. Most amateur atheists will actually say, "A theist is someone who 'believes' in a god...so prefixing "theist" with a "a" (meaning without or sans) makes the word mean without a "belief" in a god.

That is bullshit. The word "atheist" came into the English language almost 100 years BEFORE the word "theist"...so it could not have derived that way.

And up until the mid 1950's almost all English speakers used the word to denote someone who denied the existence of gods.

BOTTOM LINE...an atheist is someone who designates him/herself to be an atheist. It is a self-applied descriptor...which obviously means all sorts of things to various atheists, because there are a dozen qualifiers used by various self-proclaimed atheists. We see STRONG atheists; WEAK atheists; NEGATIVE atheists; POSITIVE atheists; IMPLICIT atheists; EXPLICIT atheists; agnostic atheists; and the songs play on.

I am not an atheist...and there is no reason an artificial, self-serving definition should insist that I am. All the babies of the world...all the toddlers of the world...all the unfortunates who are intellectually incapable of forming a "belief"...

...none of them should, by dint of this absurd definition, be considered atheists.

But...the definition in many (NOT ALL) dictionaries and encyclopedia does seem to demand that.

I say, screw that!

So I present my take on the issue...and let any asshole who wants to insist I am an atheist spew his/her nonsense...and fight back.

If that bothers you...

...TOUGH.

What the hell is specious about any of that?
izzythepush

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 11:35 am
@InfraBlue,
Barely.
InfraBlue

Tue 17 Aug, 2021 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have, on dozens of occasions, called attention to the fact that the etymology of the English word "atheist" derives from the Greek through the French...and originally was used to describe someone who was "without a god."

ONE CANNOT BE WITHOUT A GOD IF THERE IS A GOD.

So, in effect, it was an indication of someone who denied the existence of any deities.

I was not "defining" the word...I was merely pointing out its etymology.

When you conclude that "in effect, it was an indication of someone who denied the existence of any deities, you are defining the word, especially in light of the fact that you restrict the definitions of the word by saying, "the word 'atheist' SHOULD NOT MEAN without a 'belief' in any gods."

Frank Apisa wrote:

I then pointed out that some modern day atheists have managed to usurp the word to mean ANYONE who lacks a "belief" in any gods. Most amateur atheists will actually say, "A theist is someone who 'believes' in a god...so prefixing "theist" with a "a" (meaning without or sans) makes the word mean without a "belief" in a god.

That is bullshit. The word "atheist" came into the English language almost 100 years BEFORE the word "theist"...so it could not have derived that way.

And up until the mid 1950's almost all English speakers used the word to denote someone who denied the existence of gods.

As I've pointed out, this etymology of yours is incorrect. The definition of the word "atheist" involved the disbelief in gods from its very origins in Classica times. You're basing your argument on erroneous suppositions and incorrect derivations of the word.

Frank Apisa wrote:

BOTTOM LINE...an atheist is someone who designates him/herself to be an atheist. It is a self-applied descriptor...which obviously means all sorts of things to various atheists, because there are a dozen qualifiers used by various self-proclaimed atheists. We see STRONG atheists; WEAK atheists; NEGATIVE atheists; POSITIVE atheists; IMPLICIT atheists; EXPLICIT atheists; agnostic atheists; and the songs play on.

You've contradicted your previous assertion with this statement, which is more correct in regard to the use of the word "atheist."

Frank Apisa wrote:
All the babies of the world...all the toddlers of the world...all the unfortunates who are intellectually incapable of forming a "belief"...

By the way you describe your views about belief, that would include you.

Fran Apisa wrote:

...none of them should, by dint of this absurd definition, be considered atheists.

As one of them, when you say, "I do not believe gods exist," you are an atheist.

Frank Apisa wrote:

But...the definition in many (NOT ALL) dictionaries and encyclopedia does seem to demand that.

I say, screw that!

So I present my take on the issue...and let any asshole who wants to insist I am an atheist spew his/her nonsense...and fight back.

If that bothers you...

...TOUGH.

What the hell is specious about any of that?

According to the rest of the world's definition of the term, your argument is fucked.