Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

JimmyJ

Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:04 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
No scientific evidence for anything you just said lol

This is why nobody listens to your arguments (and those that do just laugh). You cite the bible to prove itself
0 Replies

carnaticmystery

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 12:13 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Honestly, if the universe and he and you and I and A2K didn't exist, why would CM care enough to lecture us all about it for so long?

This guy deeply cares... about nothing.

rofl, ok firstly i take that as a compliment, what is wrong with caring? but your intelligence is dropping into dangerously low frank-like territory here. i have clearly pointed out many times that non duality does not mean nothing exists, because that is a more limited philosophy itself (nihilism), which i do not support. and non duality is BEYOND all philosophies, but it simultaneously INCLUDES them.

i mean the idea that nothing exists is at one end of the spectrum of duality between existence and non-existence. in our individual consciousness we experience the entire spectrum, from deep sleep (experience of non-existence) to being fully awake and experiencing existence.

so nihilism is just taking one aspect of human experience and labelling it as the ultimate truth (non-existence).

similarly theism does the same. any human experience which can be labelled unexplainable by other humans (miracles of all the religious figures of the past) gets treated as 'beyond' or 'above' humanity, and this was eventually labelled as 'god' or 'religion' over time. so again, people are taking certain inexplicable aspects of human experience, and labelling them as the ultimate truth/religion/god.

atheism, spirituality, ideas of enlightenment are all the same. taking an idea and labelling it as the ultimate idea, simply because that is the best the intellect can come up with.

non duality integrates all these limited philosophies and goes beyond them. the reason you keep accusing me of nihilism, is because that is the one philosophy which you are 100% against. you love yourself and your belief in yourself so much, that you can't believe that 'nothingness' can have any meaning, you are afraid of it. it is only because you have a false belief in yourself as something which you could 'lose' if you go into 'nothingness' too much. but actually, you can go into nothingness infinitely and never lose yourself, because you are nothingness, and all the somethingnesses which appear to you come from nothingness and go back to nothingness.

so overall, yes nothingness is everything, everything is nothing, but this is only nihilism if you are looking dually. ie. giving the NOTHING importance over the SOMETHING, when it shouldn't be so. the statement 'everything is nothing' does not actually give importance to either concept. it just means they are the same thing. so everything still exists. also nothing exists. that is non duality.

Frank Apisa

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 06:39 am
@carnaticmystery,
carnaticmystery wrote:

Quote:
Honestly, if the universe and he and you and I and A2K didn't exist, why would CM care enough to lecture us all about it for so long?

This guy deeply cares... about nothing.

rofl, ok firstly i take that as a compliment, what is wrong with caring? but your intelligence is dropping into dangerously low frank-like territory here. i have clearly pointed out many times that non duality does not mean nothing exists, because that is a more limited philosophy itself (nihilism), which i do not support. and non duality is BEYOND all philosophies, but it simultaneously INCLUDES them.

i mean the idea that nothing exists is at one end of the spectrum of duality between existence and non-existence. in our individual consciousness we experience the entire spectrum, from deep sleep (experience of non-existence) to being fully awake and experiencing existence.

so nihilism is just taking one aspect of human experience and labelling it as the ultimate truth (non-existence).

similarly theism does the same. any human experience which can be labelled unexplainable by other humans (miracles of all the religious figures of the past) gets treated as 'beyond' or 'above' humanity, and this was eventually labelled as 'god' or 'religion' over time. so again, people are taking certain inexplicable aspects of human experience, and labelling them as the ultimate truth/religion/god.

atheism, spirituality, ideas of enlightenment are all the same. taking an idea and labelling it as the ultimate idea, simply because that is the best the intellect can come up with.

non duality integrates all these limited philosophies and goes beyond them. the reason you keep accusing me of nihilism, is because that is the one philosophy which you are 100% against. you love yourself and your belief in yourself so much, that you can't believe that 'nothingness' can have any meaning, you are afraid of it. it is only because you have a false belief in yourself as something which you could 'lose' if you go into 'nothingness' too much. but actually, you can go into nothingness infinitely and never lose yourself, because you are nothingness, and all the somethingnesses which appear to you come from nothingness and go back to nothingness.

so overall, yes nothingness is everything, everything is nothing, but this is only nihilism if you are looking dually. ie. giving the NOTHING importance over the SOMETHING, when it shouldn't be so. the statement 'everything is nothing' does not actually give importance to either concept. it just means they are the same thing. so everything still exists. also nothing exists. that is non duality.

That's the trouble with blind belief systems. Ya end up defending nonsense...and thinking it actually makes sense. Kind of a non-duality at that. Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:49 am
@carnaticmystery,
Whatever. You're the one who described nothingness as the "ultimate truth". I leave this sort of pronouncements to teenagers. And your "non-duality" is just another all-encompassing and hence powerless belief. It cannot rule anything out, and thus serves no purpose whatsoever. It's magic thinking like astrology.
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 08:28 am
Quote:
JimmyJ said:@RF- No scientific evidence for anything you just said lol This is why nobody listens to your arguments (and those that do just laugh). You cite the bible to prove itself

But atheists cite quotes from books written by atheists, so why shouldn't people quote from the Bible too?
And speaking of "scientific evidence", where's Dawkins evidence for saying "There's probably no God"?
The word "probably" means a guess or hunch without a shred of scientific backup..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/atheistbus.gif

JimmyJ

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 08:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
But atheists cite quotes from books written by atheists, so why shouldn't people quote from the Bible too?

Who here has quoted an atheist book?
Nobody. You made that up just like the majority of the nonsense that you talk about lol

Quote:
And speaking of "scientific evidence", where's Dawkins evidence for saying "There's probably no God"? The word "probably" means a guess or hunch without a shred of scientific backup..

Actually

prob·a·bly
ˈpräbəblē,ˈpräblē/Submit
adverb
almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

Not to mention he's not burdened with disproving god. You're burdened with proving him. You never prove a negative, my friend.
hingehead

Wed 19 Mar, 2014 08:06 pm
@JimmyJ,
Hey! Did you take that dictionary definition from an atheist book? Mr. Green
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 08:11 am
Quote:
JimmyJ said:@RF- Who here has quoted an atheist book?
Nobody. You made that up just like the majority of the nonsense that you talk about lol

Atheists are always going on about how atheists such as Dawks and Hitchens said "this or that"!
They're regarded by atheists as "prophets" and their books are regarded as "Atheist Bibles"..Wink
JimmyJ

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:41 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Atheists are always going on about how atheists such as Dawks and Hitchens said "this or that"!
They're regarded by atheists as "prophets" and their books are regarded as "Atheist Bibles"..Wink

I asked you to show me a quote of someone quoting an atheist book lol.

You can't provide one, then?

You're too easy, man.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 01:20 pm
Quote:
JimmyJ said:@RF- I asked you to show me a quote of someone quoting an atheist book lol. You can't provide one, then?

Here ya go mate, you said this on Monday about a bit in 'Climbing Mt Improbable' -
"Dawkins was giving an example of how easily a lens can spontaneously come into existence".

And I shot it down in flames..Smile
JimmyJ

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 02:04 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Here ya go mate, you said this on Monday about a bit in 'Climbing Mt Improbable' -
"Dawkins was giving an example of how easily a lens can spontaneously come into existence".

And I shot it down in flames.

I wasn't quoting any book LOL. I was clarifying something that you said that you clearly did not understand.

Where do you see a quotation from a book there?
Just admit that you misspoke and that no such quote exists and we can move on.

At least put up some sort of a challenge here.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:52 pm
Quote:
JimmyJ said: @RF-Just admit that you misspoke and that no such quote exists and we can move on.

You're stuck on that broken-down atheist bus mate and you ain't going nowhere..Smile
JimmyJ

Thu 20 Mar, 2014 11:16 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
You're stuck on that broken-down atheist bus mate and you ain't going nowhere..Smile

I thought as much.

No such quote exists. You were just blathering on about nonsense as usual.
0 Replies

carnaticmystery

Mon 24 Mar, 2014 10:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Whatever. You're the one who described nothingness as the "ultimate truth".

yes, just because to me, regarding the idea that 'everything is nothing', the nothingness seems more ultimate, or untouchable. somethingness, is always one dimension away from nothingness, and appearing in nothingness. i am not denying the appearance of anything, i am saying 'nothing' is always more primary, or ultimate.

Quote:
And your "non-duality" is just another all-encompassing and hence powerless belief.

yes, any idea is, as you say, an all-encompassing and powerless belief. agreed 100%. that is why i keep saying, everything i say is only beliefs, because knowledge doesn't actually exist.

but non duality itself, the concept, if investigated, always remains the ultimate truth, regardless of belief systems. ie. it is a simple philosophy, which when investigated using any form of science or philosophy, can never be disproven. all it means is that duality does not exist, everything is one. if you can disprove that in any way, please try. if not, then non duality is truth.

now, yes all the above are beliefs, but within the maze of human beliefs, this is in my opinion the 'most believable' one.

Quote:
It cannot rule anything out, and thus serves no purpose whatsoever. It's magic thinking like astrology.

nothing serves any purpose whatsoever (ultimately), and your reluctance to accept this fact is the only reason you don't accept non duality, or nihilism. regarding astrology, firstly, its roots are not 'magic thinking', but based on science of correlation of planetary cycles and human life. whatever fancy magic thinking astrology evolved from that is similar to whatever your idea of non duality is. a misunderstanding.

there is nothing magic about non duality. it is a simple philosophy, developed before any recorded history exists in india, which is known to be one of the most ancient human civilizations.

you say non duality serves no purpose, only because you still remain reluctant to investigate it fully. when you do, your life itself, each moment, becomes its own purpose.
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Mar, 2014 06:53 am
@carnaticmystery,
Quote:
but non duality itself, the concept, if investigated, always remains the ultimate truth, regardless of belief systems. ie. it is a simple philosophy, which when investigated using any form of science or philosophy, can never be disproven. all it means is that duality does not exist, everything is one. if you can disprove that in any way, please try. if not, then non duality is truth.

Can you actually write drivel like that...and not feel uncomfortable, CM?

If you can, I am willing to acknowledge that you have developed a marvelous defense mechanism.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 25 Mar, 2014 10:14 am
@carnaticmystery,
Quote:
any idea is, as you say, an all-encompassing and powerless belief.

This is not what I am saying. There are many powerful ideas around, that have predicting power. The idea, for instance, that earth revolves around itself and around the sun is powerful: it does explain and predict a succession of days and nights and winters and summers and stuff.

What I mean is that all-encompassing theories are generally useless in predicting anything or ruling out something else, because "anything goes" with them. They can justify anything and its contrary, and are thus useless to make sense of the world. I strongly suspect that this applies to your "non-duality" theory.

I could do the same as you do, or as your prehistoric guru did... I could invent a vague philosophic idea – let’s call it “non-non-duality” – and decide that it encompasses all other philosophical theories, including dualism and non-duality. And it would serve what purpose exactly??? None, other than filling my head with lofty words with no meaning whatsoever and feeling "full of purpose".

Again, I leave that to teenagers.
carnaticmystery

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:19 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
any idea is, as you say, an all-encompassing and powerless belief.

Quote:
This is not what I am saying.

lol, i don't care what you are saying, i used the phrase 'as you say' because you used the phrase 'all encompassing and powerless belief'. i used it in my own way.

Quote:
There are many powerful ideas around, that have predicting power. The idea, for instance, that earth revolves around itself and around the sun is powerful: it does explain and predict a succession of days and nights and winters and summers and stuff.

the idea that an explanation for 'days and nights' is valuable only arises in the realm of duality, thinking that acquiring knowledge is useful. non duality transcends the need for this.

Quote:
What I mean is that all-encompassing theories are generally useless in predicting anything or ruling out something else, because "anything goes" with them. They can justify anything and its contrary, and are thus useless to make sense of the world. I strongly suspect that this applies to your "non-duality" theory.

there is no need to predict anything or rule anything out. the only reason you want to do such things is because you feel that you don't know/understand the 'truth', or some such idea you have. non duality transcends such primitive feelings.

Quote:
I could do the same as you do, or as your prehistoric guru did... I could invent a vague philosophic idea – let’s call it “non-non-duality” – and decide that it encompasses all other philosophical theories, including dualism and non-duality. And it would serve what purpose exactly??? None, other than filling my head with lofty words with no meaning whatsoever and feeling "full of purpose".

non duality was created as an investigative solution to all philosophies. if you create your own philosophy saying it 'encompasses both duality and non duality', then tell me what is the philosophy? no point just making it up, how does it encompass both? duality involves multiplicity. non duality implies only one. if your philosophy involves duality, it automatically cannot touch nonduality.

Quote:
Again, I leave that to teenagers.

your constant need to belittle me by implying i am a teenager is lame and only exposes your frank-like low levels of intelligence. actually, age is no barrier to understanding and experiencing non duality, it is beyond all limited knowledge which comes with age and life experience.
igm

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 02:58 am
Wise words for those that don't conform:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10001467_730233410342314_286518356_n.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 02:23 pm
@carnaticmystery,
Quote:
lol, i don't care what you are saying

I know that. I only respond to you for the fun of it.

Quote:
the idea that an explanation for 'days and nights' is valuable only arises in the realm of duality, thinking that acquiring knowledge is useful. non duality transcends the need for this.

Like a magic wand, yada yada yada. But I know why there are days and nights.

Quote:
there is no need to predict anything

The human mind exists for a reason: it serves to predict the world. To find solutions, to solve problems. It emerged from a Darwinian process that selected specific capacities such as logic, observation, pattern-seeking, etc, that add up to a capacity to make sense of the world and predict, to a limited degree of course, what may happen next. IOW, the pursuit of some predictive knowledge.

Trying to detach the human mind from its natural function to seek patterns and predictability in the world, is like trying to make the heart stop beating. It may be a fun thing to try and you may even succeed, but I don't see what purpose it serves.

Quote:
if you create your own philosophy saying it 'encompasses both duality and non duality', then tell me what is the philosophy? no point just making it up, how does it encompass both? duality involves multiplicity. non duality implies only one. if your philosophy involves duality, it automatically cannot touch nonduality.

Oh but that is so simple... What naive non-dualists fail to realise is that duality remains forever there in the world even when hidden under the guise of non-duality. For instance, you admitted some time ago that behind and beneath the concept of nothingness, existed still the concept of existence ("somethingness"), and that the two concepts were in a sort of ying-yang relation within a higher whole. I say this higher whole between duality and non-duality, should be called non-non-duality.

Quote:
your constant need to belittle me by implying i am a teenager is lame and only exposes your frank-like low levels of intelligence.

All I am saying is that you think like a teenager. Are you a teenager?
carnaticmystery

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 11:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I know that. I only respond to you for the fun of it.

haha no, you respond to try and prove intellectual superiority, an extremely pointless attempt against me.
Quote:
The human mind exists for a reason: it serves to predict the world. To find solutions, to solve problems. It emerged from a Darwinian process that selected specific capacities such as logic, observation, pattern-seeking, etc, that add up to a capacity to make sense of the world and predict, to a limited degree of course, what may happen next. IOW, the pursuit of some predictive knowledge.

yes, we all know how the mind appears to have evolved and its multiple logical and predictive properties. unfortunately, all this 'knowledge' of how the mind works is based on an unfounded belief in the content of the mind and sensory perception.

yes, at the limited level of circumstantial gain in this appearing world, mind mastery is a good skill. for the ultimate truth, going beyond mind is necessary, not constantly assuming that the mind will predict the ultimate truth somehow.

Quote:
Trying to detach the human mind from its natural function to seek patterns and predictability in the world, is like trying to make the heart stop beating. It may be a fun thing to try and you may even succeed, but I don't see what purpose it serves.

you are an idiot, if you don't see that i am not trying to detach any mind from any natural function. as i have said countless times, going beyond mind DOES NOT imply any detachment or loss of intellectual function. it implies the loss of identity and personal relationship with what goes on in the mind, while still maintaining complete awareness of all mind activity.

everything you said about the evolution of the human mind is correct, but the process is not finished, nor will it ever be. the evolution of individualised minds did very well to give humanity technological advancement, through creating competition between humans, which leads to great achievements.

unfortunately, too much individualism leads to all the terror and suffering that exists in the world today. just as you said, darwinian processes will ultimately eliminate this false sense of individuality in all human minds.

Quote:
Oh but that is so simple... What naive non-dualists fail to realise is that duality remains forever there in the world even when hidden under the guise of non-duality.

um no. one is one. more than one is more than one. learn maths.
Quote:
For instance, you admitted some time ago that behind and beneath the concept of nothingness, existed still the concept of existence ("somethingness"), and that the two concepts were in a sort of ying-yang relation within a higher whole. I say this higher whole between duality and non-duality, should be called non-non-duality.

um no. yes i admitted that a 'somethingness' appears in nothingness. the idea that the somethingness exists is duality. it is implying that the nothingness and the somethingness are separate, discrete existences.

non duality is an experiential understanding that both nothingness and somethingness are the same singular 'thing', which cannot defined or said to exist ultimately, nor can it be said to not exist.

implying that non-nonduality is an even higher perspective is just your naive attempt to prove that you can 'one-up' me no matter what i say. sorry buddy, doesn't work when you don't have an argument.

like i said, there is no possible philosophy which can supersede non duality, which includes all and goes beyond all. but keep enjoying your quest to prove me wrong. frank failed miserably, you are doing better, but keep trying.

i will also repeat that any attempt to find out my age is your way of consoling yourself: 'ahhh its ok he is too young and immature, i am definitely smarter than him'. you are a slave to your ego which wants to define itself as the most intelligent possible person.