i need help with this riddle asap

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:58 pm
3 people go to a motel and there find out theres one room left , the man gave them the room for 30$.. each paid 10$ each. an hour later the landlord comes back to the motel and the receptionist tells him about the last room available for these 3 people. the landlord tells her to give them a discount so the room will be 25$ now and not 30$. she takes 5 loonies... puts 2 in her pocket and brings 3 dollars to the people in the room. so they each end up only playing 9$ for the room which equals 27. plus the 2$ in her pocket which equals 29. where is the remaining dollar???? HELP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 4
No top replies

absmalls

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:14 pm
@absmalls,
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:51 pm
@absmalls,
The hillbilly from Louseeezeeanna who first told me that riddle said even Einstein couldn't figure it out...

It is only a matter of perception, or rather, of misdirection... 3 times 9 is 27, but what she has given them is 30 minus 2 which is 28... From the perspective of those who paid 30, 30 minus the 3 they got back is 27, but what they actually paid, 25 plus the 3 is 28, plus the 2 is 30... What they think they paid has nothing to do with the reality of the situation... It is a matter of the obvious truth versus the actual truth...
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:38 pm
@Fido,
you can't begin to know how much i want to hear about the 3 people that night

if the maid has 2 and the owner has 25 i know someone's out of pocket 27
Fido

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:34 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

you can't begin to know how much i want to hear about the 3 people that night

if the maid has 2 and the owner has 25 i know someone's out of pocket 27
Fair enough, but if that is what is paid for the room between owner and clerk, then the question is not 27 plus the two which has already been counted, but 27 plus 3, which is the amount returned... The way the question is asked: 30 - 3 = 27, + 2 = 29 so where did the other dollar go is deceptive... What is actually paid: 25+2+3 equals 30, and 30 - 3 = 27 they think they are then paying and minus the 2 equals the 25... Which way are you working the equasion because 25 + 3 is 28 where I come from... It all adds up... You reach 27 by subtracting 3 from 30, or by adding 2 to 25... Why would you subtract 3 from thirty and then add the 2??? Would you add 2 to 25, and then subtract 3 to arrive at 24... Working from thirty you subtract both figures, and working from twenty five you add both figures...
0 Replies