Team Names

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 06:21 pm
Does anyone know why the various teams have the names they do have? For example "Green Bay Packers"....What are they packing? Does the name mean something? Do any of the names mean anything other than what might be obvious, like the NY Giants. We all know what a giant is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,106 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:59 pm
I believe the Green Bay Packers refer to the meat packing industry that Green Bay was famous for. Same thing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the PA Steel Industry.

Most teams seem to be named after animals or something the region/city represented is known for. Some seem a little off because the team moved from it's original location and took the name with them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:21 am
Ah, my fave example of that is the Utah Jazz. Salt Lake City isn't exactly known for a thriving jazz scene, but New Orleans is, which is where that team was originally based.

The LA Dodgers (used to be in Brooklyn, but you knew that) were the Trolley Dodgers, referring to the difficulty and danger in walking the streets of Brooklyn at the time the team was founded.

I imagine the Colts (Indianapolis now, used to be in Baltimore) refers to the Pimlico race track. Any confirmation on this?

And the LA Lakers were first the Minnesota Lakers, 'cause Minnesota is the "Land of 1,000 Lakes".

Hartford had the Whalers, even though Hartford isn't on a coast, due to the 18th and 19th century whaling trade in Connecticut and Southern Massachusetts.

The Baltimore Orioles are named for the Maryland state bird.

The Chicago Bulls and Bears both refer to the Chicago Board of Trade. Being bullish means the market is going up, whereas bearish means the market is tanking.

There are more. I need coffee to think of 'em. :-D
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:23 am
jespah wrote:
The LA Dodgers (used to be in Brooklyn, but you knew that) were the Trolley Dodgers, referring to the difficulty and danger in walking the streets of Brooklyn at the time the team was founded.

Ooo! That's an interesting one. I'd never heard of that before.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
The Calgary Flames used to be the Atlanta Flames -- named for the
burning of Atlanta. Can't figure out why you'd want to name a team
after a disaster. But then there's the Carolina Hurricanes and the
Colorado Avalanche of the NHL and the Chicago Fire of MLS.

How about renaming the Bruins the Boston Molasses Flood?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:31 am
Ha, I never knew that about the Flames. Isn't there also a Chicago Fire?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:36 am
Yep, the MLS team. They're relatively new.
0 Replies