The Kvetch Thread

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
So I have a gift certificate for Fresh Direct. I can't find the original gift card that contains the right number.

I call. I am assured that the gift card number is active. I ask specifically whether the gift card will pay for the order. I'm concerned because I don't have enough money in the bank to pay. One of the reasons I'm thrilled with the gift card is that I can get food without needing immediate money.

I go to an ATM today and am informed that my account is overdrawn. I'm charged overdraft fees.

I'm furious. I call Fresh Direct. I'm told that the number for the gift card wasn't active when I submitted the order.

What are you talking about? I specifically called about this.

I would not have placed the order if I had known this.

This is not right.

I'm waiting for a call from the supervisor.

Angry, frustrated, furious, tearful. I have no money. I might not be able to get to the hospital tomorrow for my appointments.

I made a deposit (a late work payment). If it clears by the morning, I may be able to get carfare.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 03:24 pm
@Roberta,
Bastards!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
I haven't heard from the supervisor. I sent an e-mail.

I AM PISSED!!
roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:47 pm
@Roberta,
Go sit on his desk. Chain yourself to the radiator till you get satisfaction.
Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 06:10 pm
@roger,
I got an e-mail.

It was a copy of the message I sent. Nothing more.

I may just go there and threaten somebody.

Trying to remain calm with the thought that this will all be straightened out. Not good at this sort of thing.

In the meantime, I have three dollars in cash.

And the Fresh Direct order was delivered. At least I'll eat well tonight. I shouldn't get indigestion from the aggravation.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 06:29 pm
@Roberta,
Aggravation multiplied, oy. This kind of thing is a big depressor. (That must be a word, since I didn't get little red spelling dots. Oy did though.)

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 06:57 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In NYC (the five boroughs) there are many locations that can still use a rabbit ear antenna to get over the air broadcasts (channels 2-13, plus many channels higher than 13). One just has to specify on the set-up menu that an antenna is being used, and then auto-scan for all the channels available.

Wrong. With the advent of the national digital broadcast act. Rabbit ears will not cut it unless you have the conversion box.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/digital-tv-converter/overview/dtv-converter-box-guide.htm

I'm assuming right now, Roberta's television is fine for cable as the cable box is acting as the defacto conversion box but only while the cable is working. If someone wanted to watch television (sans cable or sans satellite dish) one either needs a signal conversion box or a new television with the converter already built in.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:41 pm
tsar and foofie, My cable/tv is working just fine--bite your tongue.

Just sent another e-mail to FreshDirect. I'm persistent and up at all hours.

BTW, I very much enjoyed my dinner tonight. Also checked some prices: FreshDirect v. local supermarket. FreshDirect is cheaper.

Don't know if I'll ever order from there again. Hissing.
dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:39 pm
@Roberta,
Can you stay on phone til they put you through? This is more irritating to them than emails.
Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:24 am
@dlowan,
I was on the phone for over an hour!

If the rep says he's gonna hang up, what am I gonna do? Hang on and listen to a dead line.

I'll call back--fer sure.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:33 am
@Roberta,
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:12 am
I have a Kindle, which I love. What I like even better, is that you can download many good books for free, or for .99. What's even better, is that sometimes a book is on sale for free when it first comes out, and later goes up to $9-$12 dollars. I have caught a few of them.

Right now, I have about 156 books downloaded, and that not includes the 25-30 that I have read and deleted.

So why am I kvetching? I found a great spy novel that had wonderful reviews, and I ordered it. I must have had my head on backwards, because I discovered that the book was $12.99, not .99.

Oh well, there goes my record of getting books on the cheap!

Secondary, minor kvetch. I really think that my head is on
backwards. When I first posted this thread, it came out like this.
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:30 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh no! Your green was withering? Now that would be worth a major kvetch! Glad it's back to normal.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:12 am
Phoenix, Bummer re the book price. Read it slow and make it last.

I just got a call from FreshDirect. They're crediting my debit card for the full amount of the order plus the overdraft fees. I'm feeling relieved and a certain sense of satisfaction. I'll wait to see if everything goes through before I relax.

One small step for me. One giant leap for irate customers.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:21 am
@Roberta,
What a fine job you did with the kvetching at the source..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:02 am
@Roberta,
Hip hip hooray!! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 01:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
Kvetching is a major league sport. Of course, you are a franchise player Roberta for a2k.

a2k should be paying you $15 million a year for your talents! Or you could be selling season tickets to your kvetching playoffs every season. Very Happy Wink

We need to start a Fantasy Kvetching League. First round draft pick is, of course, Roberta. Then the rest of us complain.

So, my kvetch. I go swimming, 'cause it's hot as blazes here. I go to the Y, which has a lovely clean pool, as opposed to the MDC, where a woman died. So far, so good.

Last week, I was there and there were a buncha day camp classes there and so only 1 lane was open to us grown-up types. And we are trying not to bump into each other but there is a Spanish dude with 2 noodles and so he is wide and slow and just kinda meandering around. The rest of us want to do laps; he wants to marinate.

So I do my lap as well as possible and end up kind of going diagonally around marinating Spanish dude. I keep going this way as I see no one in front of me. I get to the end (note: I'm not wearing glasses, of course) and I see tiny Russian lady. She is -- I swear this is true -- wearing bright fuchsia lipstick.

In the pool.

And she says to me, "You mahst svin in serkul!"

What?

"You mahst svin in serkul!"

Translated: You must swim in a circle, meaning, go on the right, turn around and stay to the right.

I realize I have met The Lane Fuhrer.

So I start swimming in the circle like everyone else. Last I saw of be-lipsticked Russkie Lane Fuhrer, she was saying, "You mahst svin in serkul!" to the marinating Spanish dude.

And so concludes another day here in Brighton, the Gateway to the Galaxy.

Update on The Lane Fuhrer.

So I have gone to the pool several more times, as it's been hot (although this week has, for the most part, been decent) and my Y membership is gonna expire on the 15th of August. And I sometimes see the LF, sometimes, not. Always, she is wearing bright fuchsia lipstick. This makes it possible for me to spot her at all, as I, of course, am not wearing my glasses. I just look - bright fuchsia, ah, and all is right with the world.

Well.

Today I saw the LF speaking to Ancient Japanese Dude. Ancient Japanese Dude speaks little English but nods politely if I see him. If I make a circular motion with my fingers, we swim in a circle (excuse me, svim in serkul). If I make back and forth motions with my fingers (e. g. it's like "let your fingers do the walking" - that sort of a motion), then we each take one side of the lane and just go back and forth. He's a pleasant enough guy. I think he understands if I say the usual pool small talk, which generally consists of, "Hi, it's so much nicer in here than it is out in the heat.".

So LF is speaking with AJD, and I notice, because of the body language, something interesting. It takes me a while to figure this out but then I also notice Dude Who Thinks He's Working Out But Is Really Just Splashing A Lot (DWTHWOBIRJSAL aka Sir Splash-a-lot) also waves at LF. Sir Splash-a-lot is an ex-Marine type, seems to be around 65 or so. LF is maybe 75. AJD is probably also in his 70s.

And I realize -- AJD is hitting on LF. And, perhaps, Sir Splash-a-lot is as well.

I realize -- the Lane Fuhrer must be one hot ticket.

It must be the bright fuchsia lipstick.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 01:59 pm
@jespah,
Too funny. The Pool Chronicles.

When I used to lane swim, there were three lanes available in the 75 foot long pool, one half the pool left for floaters, hold on to the side and blow bubblers, dog paddlers, water treaders, people learning to kick with a kick board, and so on.

I'm talking about regular open lanes at night kind of hours.
Once I advanced past the lane near the wall, I got along fine, or fine enough, in lane two. Just about my speed, or soon became so, polite people, generally no contretemps. But there was the third lane, sort of like the fast lane in the highway system. There were a few excellent swimmers who used it in a fast propelling efficient mode, and many more swimming galumphers with power threshing strokes and kicks, enough power that they advanced however inefficiently. But these folks were a problem for us second laners, since their legs would enter our lane sometimes, and the wash of their splashing was beyond splash, more like sending a pool wave at speed over to the aforementioned wall used as a safety wall by the first lane folk. The good part of that was there was great relief when these got out of the pool and left.

See, I can kvetch in retrospect.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:16 pm
@jespah,
osso and tsar, Let's withhold the cheers and congrats until I see the results in my bank account.

I received two e-mails. They're crediting my account for one bank overdraft. No mention of the cost of the order.

I sent another e-mail and detailing the call I received this morning--just for the record. I'm hoping for the best.

jes, Maybe the fuschia lipstick is some kinda "in" signal for hot babe. C'est moi, the lane fuhrer.

So am I gonna get paid $15 million? Did you start the Fantasy Kvetching League? Maybe I should start giving lessions.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:49 pm
@Roberta,
A major win in any case.