The Kvetch Thread

Foofie

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Language is alive, regardless of what a dictionary states. Yiddish is mixed with usually Polish or Russian, based on where the immigrants came from. Anyway, kvetch has the meaning in New York that the New Yorkers, on the thread, understand. Please do not get all academic on us.

I was just responding to your post ...

Yes. In your intellectual manner that, in my opinion, should be reserved for "intellectual" threads (i.e., history, philosophy, politics). Kvetching was what pushcart peddlers did for 12 or more hours per day on the Lower East Side, and might not have even been literate.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 07:15 pm
@Foofie,
I liked Walter's addition to the thread.

I'm only jewish by injection, or some words to that effect. But I worked for years in a set of laboratories filled with real time kvetchers, even if on occasion quiet, some of them brilliant. I'm remembering one, pre med school an english major, not brilliant for this exact reason, who delineated for me the exact wording and ramifications, my word, about the penis. That is a lifetime memory but still was a somewhat short episode with all of us laughing.

Not all the world is a new york zone.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:53 am
Someone cleans the house. Someone washes the dishes. Someone mows the lawn. Sometimes there's a small sense of satisfaction at getting these things done. And then what happens? You gotta do them again. And again. And again. I don't like this. I don't have a strong objection to the washing dishes business. After all, I made 'em dirty. But I didn't make the lawn grow. I didn't sprinkle dust and who knows what else all over the house. This stinks.

roger

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 02:02 am
@Roberta,
I know. You get all caught up, and six months later, it's all got to be done over again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 05:29 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
PHOENIX, what do you put on your potato latkes?

Applesauce- (The no sugar added kind)

As far as ice cream is concerned, if it were up to me, I would eat it by the gallon. I keep ice cream in the house for Mr. P. I rarely eat it, 'cause once I would start, I would keep on eating it until I finished the box.

I must admit, that I have indulged since my tooth extraction, but that was for therapeutic reasons. Wink

What I do, when I want to indulge, is to picture the box of ice cream sitting permanently on my hips.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:49 pm
BRACES.

Braces are the kvetch of the day.

A group of four girls just came to the door to ask me something. Usually if I don't get something right away in a group I look at another person to kind of triangulate -- their version plus the first version and I often have enough to hang my hat on something. But they all had braces and they were all IMPOSSIBLE. I looked at 'em and all I saw was metal. Lots of distracting metal.

I figured out from context what they must be asking and ventured a "sure," watching to see if their actions then confirmed what I suspected. They did, and I was right. But argh.

That's a double-kvetch because my very own kid is getting braces in about a month. No, a little less. I'm really not enthusiastic about this. I've done all the research and evidently it's not crazy-early, which was my first response (she's 10, and I got braces when I was 17 or something). Younger is considered better these days and when it's not a good idea it seems to have to do with permanent teeth not being there yet. She has all her permanent teeth (yup, every single one).

But it's gonna be harder to understand her and it's gonna be uncomfortable for her (when it's not actually hurting) and she's gonna have dietary restrictions and it's gonna be harder to keep her teeth clean and I have to pay quite a bit for the privilege of all of the above and I'm grumpy about it. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 02:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Roger, Six months! What's your hurry?

Phoenix, You're a strong and disciplined woman.

soz, Sympathetic to the problems related to braces and understanding for you. Sympathetic to sozlet for having to wear those things. And money. Always sympathetic. BTW, I don't think ten is too young. That's about the time I started wearing braces.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:19 pm
I called my cable company in the middle of the night. I had a question about a payment. I called at 3 a.m. figuring I wouldn't have to wait long. I was right.

I talked to someone I had a lot a trouble understanding. I'm pretty good with accents, but not this one. And he had no information for me. Told me to call back.

I opted to call back during the day.

Reached a person I could understand who had information.

I'm assuming that the cable company has hired an offshore company to handle customer service at night. Cheaper.

But what's the pernt, if the people are incompehensible and don't have any info.?

As long as I'm kvetching, I'd like to add that the info I got over the phone (from Tamara) was contradicted by a notice I got in the mail. The dates were different. So I had to call again (during the day). Which date? I spoke with Robert. I got an answer. I hope he's right.

I stayed up to make the call. Now I'm bleary-eyed. Hey, steenkin' cable company. Get your act together!
roger

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:32 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

But what's the pernt, if the people are incompehensible and don't have any info.?

You got to talk to someone. That shows they care about you.

I'm afraid that's pretty much the point.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:05 am
I just finished editing a 40-page table (!) I thought I'd take a break and have a snack and watch some tv.

The TV is not working. This is the day I was threatened with my service being cut off, but I was assured by Tamara and Robert that I had more time.

I call in the middle of the night and prepare not to understand what people say to me.

I get a machine. She knows my number! She's checking on stuff. There's a service outage in my neighborhood. She spoke perfect English. I have to talk to the steenkin' machine. I don't do well talking to machines. They're not for my kinda voice. I'm yelling (as best I can) into the phone. Communication is achieved.

She wants to know if she should call me when the service goes back on. They won't call before 8 am or after 9 pm. What the hell good is that gonna do me. It's now 4 am, and this is when I wanna watch tv.

I refuse to edit another word tonight! Refuse.

I'm gonna go play a game.

Just took a moment to ponder what life was like before electricity. My grandparents remembered those days and looked back on them fondly.

Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:51 am
@Roberta,
In NYC (the five boroughs) there are many locations that can still use a rabbit ear antenna to get over the air broadcasts (channels 2-13, plus many channels higher than 13). One just has to specify on the set-up menu that an antenna is being used, and then auto-scan for all the channels available.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:12 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, Thanks for the advice.

I have enough trouble getting things to work when I don't try anything fancy. The cable is operational again.

So I get the mail today, and there's something from the landlord. Always cause for a gasp. This is a notice that the landlord has put in for an overal increase in the rents because of improvements to the building.

Thud.

Then I see how much it is. $2.41 a room. Am I reading it right? I'll check with my lawyer. What's my kvetch? The outside of the envelope should have some kind of a warning, like, "NO THUDDING> IT AIN'T THAT MUCH."

Be still my heart.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:14 pm
@Roberta,
but they will probably count closets...
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Including the broom closet?

Thud.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:31 am
Given: I'm of above-average intelligence and a fairly good reader with good comprehension.

Then why is it that when I'm filling out a government form, there's always at least one question that makes me go Huh?

Is this some kinda test? Do they write these questions to see if I'm paying attention? Do they have special sadistic types to write these questions?

This means that no matter how carefully I've filled out the form, no matter how carefully I've copied and assembled attachments, there's always at tleast one thing I'm not comfortable with when I send in the steenkin' form.

Isn't it enough that I filled out the damned thing. I gotta worry too?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:27 am
@Roberta,
If you don't worry how will you sleep at night?

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:22 am
@Sturgis,
Good point. Thanks, kid.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:46 pm
@Roberta,
Because only publishers who sell to the public feel a need for proofreaders.
Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 02:35 pm
@roger,
Uh, oh. I'm gonna get nitpicky with you, Roger. Hey, what else have I got to do.

Finding and fixing a poorly worded question is the job of an editor. It's only if the editor doesn't catch it that the proofreader gets a turn. Not all publishers are inclined to make big changes at the proofreading stage.

I've found plenty of doozy mistakes in my time--mostly as an editor. As a proofreader the biggest thing I remember finding was a reference to Mexico being in South America.

The publisher fixed it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 02:48 pm
@Roberta,
ugh, i hate government forms for that very reason
0 Replies