The Kvetch Thread

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:05 am
I found out today that Bellevue (the hospital I go to for all my doctors, prescriptions, etc.) will be closed indefinitely because of Hurricane Sandy.

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:51 am
@Roberta,
Oh bloody hell! What's plan B?
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:53 am
@Roberta,
Oh no!

Dammit Boida.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:57 am
@Roberta,
I also believe the Manhattan VA Hospital (my hospital) a block or so from the Bellevue is also closed from the hurricane. It too has been closed indefinitely to repairs have been made.

Get well soon Bellevue!
Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:58 am
@dlowan,
Don't have a plan with any letter at the moment. I gotta pull myself together. Don't have much time with the IRS. Have an impossible deadline for an impossible situation.

As for Bellevue. How long can it be closed? I've already missed several important appointments. I have enough meds to last me for a while.

Like I said, I'm feeling tired and defeated. Poor and old. Fed up and emotionally down.

Couldn't even come up with a decent kvetch.
Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 05:00 am
@tsarstepan,
tsar, NYU Medical Center is also closed for the same reason. Holy moley.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:06 pm
@Roberta,
I can't figure out where else would be best to put this for you, Roberta, so I'm plopping it here...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/381850_322731581167523_215515974_n.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeh, homonyms make it. Thanx for that, B-net.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:36 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
As for Bellevue. How long can it be closed? I've already missed several important appointments. I have enough meds to last me for a while.

For meds at least and emergency there are the other hospitals. Beth Istanbul was not damaged ( http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-11-02/news/34862166_1_ct-scan-beth-israel-jim-mandler ) and there's always Roosevelt if you care to view the west side.

My meds were held hostage as the power was off in the local pharmacy and I needed them on the 31st. They were good about it, dispensing 3 of each, working in the dark, with a non-operating register (they are annoyingly electric).

According to an article from Tuesday (the 5th plus 1), Bellevue, NYU/Langone and Coney Island are still fully closed, with no hint at when they may reopen. It could be weeks.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121106/new-york-city/hospitals-shuttered-after-sandy-could-be-closed-for-weeks

As you await the return of what passes for normalcy in the city, remember that Bloomberg has his best inter...I mean, YOUR best interests in mind.

Keep us updated on how you're doing with the medical stuff.

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:45 am
@Sturgis,
That's good to know, thanks so much for passing on that info, Sturgis.

Run of lousy luck there Roberta, sure hoping things swing up a bit soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:52 am
@Sturgis,
Also, the Occupy Sandy folks have been doing a yoeman's job of getting to people and places that the "big guys" can't reach. Some contact info:

@OccupySandy
To get regular updates by text message please text @occupysandy to 23559
For Medical Needs & Requests: [email protected] or call 646-470-7256.
*if you are having an emergency, call 911!
For Real-time Social Media Updates on Sandy Aid Efforts, Click Here!
Organizers! A collection of important, printable safety information for volunteers
http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 04:53 pm
Thanks Sturgis and JPB for the info. Tres helpful. I'm starting to worry about some of my scrips.

I've been in a semiparalyzed state. I've been working and not much else. Have a job to finish this weekend. Then I'll turn my limited attention to other stuff. Gag.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:33 pm
@Roberta,
I just checked the Bellevue Web site. It had this statement:
Quote:
Bellevue patients seeking outpatient care can call 212-423-7272 for further information or to get connected to care at HHCs Metropolitan Hospital.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hhc/bellevue/html/home/home.shtml
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 02:13 am
@firefly,
Thanks, firefly. I've been looking at the Bellevue site. Didn't see that.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:34 pm
Today's kvetch is more of a ranting tirade against UPS.

Wednesday around noon the bell rings and like a fool I answer. I listened and heard the buzzer system which would open the door downstairs. Some 6 minutes later this useless waste of life appears and says she has 2 packages for me.

Really? Where are they? She had left them downstairs.

She then tells me that she didn't hear the door buzzer and that someone else let her in. Really? And you then came up 4 flights of stairs on the off chance that I might be home? LIAR!

So. She heads back down, returns 10 minutes later with 4 packages, not 2. I recognized the packaging; but, I asked anyway who they were from. She read the shipper label and I told her I was refusing them. She stared and wanted me to take them inside. She even offered to bring them in. I repeated that I didn't want them, I was not accepting them. Perhaps her hat was pulled too tight over her ears. Finally she sighed and picked them up and headed away. I offered a lackluster apology to her for having to cart them back down.

The following evening, Thursday, just past 6 the bell rings. (you know where this is going dontcha?) Nobody comes up. At about 6:2o there's a knock on my door, it's my neighbor and she has lugged this stuff up. I stare in disbelief. It's half of the packages I had refused.

Being me, I became enraged (more on that in a bit). My achy legs took me to the phone and I contacted UPS. Actually some absurd phone machine thing with voice commands. They wanted the tracking number. I went back and it was then that I saw the words: "...refused shipment" on a UPS printed label. They knew I'd refused it and sent it back. Just how stupid are they? Yeah, don't answer that.

So, Friday a.m. I call up the voice command thing at UPS and after a dozen tries they finally get my address. Hmmm...then why are they asking the tracking number? If they have that they KNOW the address. Empty skulled ninnies.

A pickup was set for sometime before 7 p.m.

At about 3:3o the bell rings, I tell the person come on up. He arrives at the door, I point at the packages and he then says: "Is this for a pickup?"

Well let's see. You aren't delivering anything and I sure as hell didn't call you up directly or your employer so you could drop by for afternoon coffee. Yeah, it would be a pickup Sherlock.

He groans. He did however take the package.
As he left I mentioned the label saying that I had refused it.

Yesterday afternoon, the bell rang again. I didn't answer and so far nobody has left another unwanted package at the door.

Now back to the side event, related to my earlier mentioned insane level of rage. Soon after I had started ranting and raving like Rumplestiltskin on a bender, I sort of tasted blood. I blamed it on this weird Bengal spice tea I was drinking. By 9 p.m. it was clear that my nose had started to bleed again.

I never used to get nose bleeds, now I get them every time I get stressed and irritated. After the power outage, I went through 3 days of on and off bleeds. Then it stopped until the jerks from UPS did their best at avoiding working.

I hate UPS.

On the brighter side, I am calm again and when I start to seethe I think happy thoughts...

...like a UPS employee being lowered into a vat of hot oil Twisted Evil .
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:38 pm
@Sturgis,
I think all that brown saps the intelligence right outta them people...

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 05:34 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, are you on blood thinners? If so, when is the last time you had a blood test to check your INR?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 07:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Now, THAT was a kvetch!
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:21 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Now, THAT was a kvetch!

Magnificent one!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:28 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, I can understand your agitation. Not making excuses. The UPS workers are just trying to make a living. Walk up the steps. Walk down the steps. Pick up a package. Deliver a package. This can be challenging. However, I have no idea why UPS redelivered the package you already refused to accept. Stoopid? Incompetent? Not paying attention? You have my sympathies. And I'm worried about your nose bleeding.

BTW, this was a superb kvetch. You really are royalty in the kvetch department. I salute you.