The Kvetch Thread

jcboy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 12:51 pm
@Roberta,
At sundown today! Happy Rosh Hashanah. Ketiva ve-chatima tovah.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 12:52 pm
@jcboy,
And a good yontif to y'all!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 01:32 pm
@jcboy,
jc, Same to you kid. Happy New Year.

Andy, Thanks.

I don't observe, but I know it's there. Next week, Yom Kippur. I don't fast, but I view it as a solemn day.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:59 am
I've been without phone service since Monday. The repair person was supposed to show up yesterday. No show. I canceled a doctor's appointment so I could be home today for the repairman. Not coming. I have to stay home tomorrow so I'll be home when the repairman shows up. I'm not confident he'll be here.

I do not have a cell phone. I have no phone. Makes me nervous. What if I have an emergency? Wouldn't be the first time. I've been using the phone in the lobby to call the phone company.

I'm in a state. Furious. Also angry, pissed off, and mad as hell.

I set my alarm clock early so I'd be awake and wouldn't miss the repairman. I'm tired. If I can calm down, I'm gonna try to get some sleep.

Something just popped into my head (never said I wasn't weird)

The iceman may cometh, but the steenkin' phone repairman doesn'teth.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 11:20 am
@Roberta,
Poor baby! That'd be enough to set my teeth on edge, certainly.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 11:44 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Gnashing of teeth here for Roberta.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 05:47 pm
I get an e-mail from the ******* phone company. In order to confirm my appointment tomorrow, please call the following phone number!

I went to the lobby again. Hey, you phone bastards. How can I call you if my phone doesn't work?!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@Roberta,
the Kansas judge rates this a 7.

with a plus one for using *******.

can you switch to someone else for service?

here the cable people are the phucking fone pholks.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 06:00 pm
@Roberta,
NYC is Verizon, right? Used to be Nynex then Bell Atlantic. They are scum. I should know. Sglass used to work for all three of those companies, retired early after 14 years with the fone felons, gnashing her teeth.

I would seriously suggest you get a mobile cell phone, get rid of the land line and use the cell exclusively. That's what I'm doing here in Hawaii now and am extremely satisfied with the AT&T pre-paid plan. There's nothing much can happen to cell service as long as you keep the battery charged and the bill paid. There's no such thing as "wires are down in Westchester County." Who cares about wires? You've got wireless.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 07:58 pm
@Roberta,
I haven't yet looked at the latest post here, but I did wrestle down the water people, here. It was excruciatingly scary. Both Diane and Roger helped me re different episodes, driving while sane on their parts.

My only advice is - and you already know - be both belligerent and persistent.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 08:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Andy, Yes, it's Verizon. I can't afford to buy a mobile phone.

I've had my phone service with Verizon for about ten years. This is the first problem. They've handled it poorly.

I may switch to AT&T. But right now I'm waiting for the repairman--again and still.

osso, Glad things were resolved waterwise. I'm always belligerent and persistent. It's part of my charm.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:28 am
The appointment was to be before 11:51. What kind of meshugina time is that? Dunno. 11:51 came and went. I schlepped back to the lobby to call. Called one number. It confirmed my appointment. BS. Called another number. My appointment was cancelled.

I spoke to Clarence. I started out belliegerent, but I ended up crying. I explained that it's dangerous for me not to have a phone. I explained this to six other people, but Clarence said he was noting that on the order. He assured me that someone would be here within two hours.

I asked him how I could reach HIM if nobody showed up. He told me.

BTW, Crying can be very effective, especially if you're dealing with the male of the species.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:34 pm
@Roberta,
Some 3 hours went by and my curious mind wondered whether the phone people arrived or if Clarence was now laying low or had he been able to deliver on his promise...

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis!!!! I'm very glad to see you--even in the midst of a major kvetch. How you doin'?

The phone guys showed up. Of course this was after I talked to Mrs. Jackson. I couldn't reconnect with Clarence. She assured me that I was the next customer to be seen today. I was.

David and associate spent a great deal of time in the basement. I now have a dial tone. Because it was late, they couldn't confirm the repair with HQ. So David gave me the name and number of his supervisor. If anything goes wrong in the near future, call the supervisor directly.

I'm no longer imprisoned. But I have to calm down. Rage and frustration have taken a toll.

Love the sound of that dial tone.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 04:01 pm
@Roberta,
Hallelujah!!! A mitzvah!!!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 06:06 pm
@Roberta,
hooray...

(I hate verizon, too)

I went to wally's today to try and correct a leftover smoky debacle before the 90 day window expired.

when he stole his own car back in august and went joyriding until the cops got him, he stopped in at wally's.

and was given a $60 subscription of birth control pills.

at 82 very foggy years old...

the folks in the pharmacy first tried to tell me it was smoky's fault.

not gonna listen to such silliness.

then they got real worried about the implications with the overseers.

somebody is prolly gonna be looking for work when they crunch the numbers tonight and decide who the clerk was...

I gotta wait for a call-back and then I can go get the $60 back.

hopefully by tomorrow when I have real business to put me in town...
Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:43 pm
@Rockhead,
RH, Thanks for the hooray. I don't mean to be overly critical, but I gotta tell ya, kid, your kvetch needs work. Explaining a goofy situation. Excellent. Relating weird and somewhat upsetting stuff. Not bad. Kvetching. Not even close. However, I am sympathetic, I think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 03:31 pm
@Roberta,
Whoa! Your phone company is as bad as ours!

I am so glad you have a service again.....must have been terrifying.

((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 04:31 pm
I was tired last night. Tired a lot lately, but especially last night. I thought I'd take a nap at around 1 a.m. I slept for eight hours.

I didn't take my before-I-go-to bed meds before the "nap." So I took them about an hour after I woke up, thinking I'd go back to sleep. That was about six hours ago.

I didn't go back to sleep. So when do I take my after-I-wake-up meds?

Why does life have to be so complicated meds-wise and otherwise?

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 02:38 am
I've had better days.

It started when I jammed my right pinkie into the wall. It hurts like hell.

I finally got around to filling out a form for Social Security that I didn't want to fill out. Why? Because the results of the form will likely change my Medicare benefits--not for the better.

I went to the bank. Mobbed.

Then I went to vote. A nightmare. Wrong place. Wrong info. Lots of time wasted. Voted but was informed that my vote won't count.

Mailed the steenkin' form.

Went to the drugstore. They didn't have what I needed. Had to schlep somewhere else.

Went to the supermarket. No Pepsi. No rye bread.

Picked up my mail. Lots of mail. Looked at it when I got upstairs. Ten letters from the IRS. They didn't say they love me.

My tv wouldn't go on. Finally got it to work.

Not kvetching. Too tired and defeated. Just reporting. Sometimes a person just has to report.