The Kvetch Thread

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 07:00 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Willing to share. I'm touched.

It's Thanksgiving it only seemed right and fitting.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 02:01 am
1. I'm ediitng a book that appears to have been written by someone who's never actually seen a book.

2. I'm proofreading a book in which it appears that the compositor never got the final design.

3. I'm having a test at the hospital on Monday at 8 a.m. Got a call today. No eating starting at midnight. Okey dokey. The test will take about four hours. Shocked Thud.

4. I'm supposed to be doing another test in which I save my pee. No instructions. I see an alert on the bottle. Poison within. Don't touch it. I never opened the bottle but I got burned. Not badly.

I'm in a general state of snarl. I should be sporting one of those danger signs.

[http://www.weneedsigns.com/images/C/Danger%20keep%20away.jpg
dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:14 am
@Roberta,
Them's some tests.

What do you mean you got burned?
Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:16 am
@dlowan,
When they were putting the stuff into the bottle, some of it must have stuck to the outside. I touched the bottle, and my hand started to feel like it was burning. I ran it under cold water, and the burning stopped. No signs of damage, but definitely unexpected--and unpleasant.
dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 07:24 am
@Roberta,
Good grief.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 03:55 pm
I had to check google to find out what day this is. When did I get so fuhblungit, and how do I unfuhblungitize myself?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm
@Roberta,
I rarely know what day it is. Fortunately the computer has the date on it and as long as I don't get the whack job announcer on the radio I can get the date there too.

See, it's like this. If God or whoever manufactured us wanted us to know the date we'd have a perpetual calendar in our palms.

Used to be that I could unfuhnlungize by eating butternut squash; but, as we know, some meanie has absconded with it all. Now I must settle for chocolate pudding and generic Ritz crackers.
Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, When I was a corporate working stiff, I always knew what day it was. Lived for the weekend. Now I'm less concerned with the date than the day. Don't know either, but the day relates to TV viewing.

Glad to find someone who didn't ask me to explain fuhblungit.

I had no idea that squash had such qualities.

Gonna make a pot roast tonight. No squash. I haven't cooked for a while. Hope I don't get fuhblungit at the stove. No point in making pot roast without the pot--or the roast.
jcboy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:13 pm
@Roberta,
I just finished shlepping the artificial Christmas tree from the garage to the house so we can put it up and decorate it tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:37 pm
@jcboy,
Fun for Antonio..
oh, and you two too.
jcboy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes he is very excited about it, I bought some nice ornaments yesterday and Antonio has one special one he made himself, that one will be put on the tree first Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:00 pm
@jcboy,
One of the things I liked doing - probably too old for him at this point but a thought to remember is that making origami birds is relatively easy and lovely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:01 pm
@jcboy,
Take a photo of the special ornament?
jcboy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh I will! he's very proud of it!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:07 pm
@jcboy,
jc, Schlepping a tree is an excellent kvetch. And unexpected. I'm green with envy about your tree. When I was little, my mother said a big NO. I got Christma presents, hung up my stocking, left out milk and cookies for Santa, but NO tree. When I started out on my own, I thought about it. A major investment. And schlepping the tree.

Good for you. I know Antonio will be thrilled.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 04:40 pm
I’m looking forward to the tree. We didn’t put it up today. Antonio woke up with a chest cold and we have kept him bundled up and in bed most of the day. I’ll most likely be staying home with him tomorrow but sometime this week we will be putting up and decorating.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 04:42 pm
@jcboy,
Time for chicken soup!
jcboy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh he had his today, he has a sore throat and a cough, he's been in bed sweating it out, he feels a little better this evening but I don't think he will feel well enough for school tomorrow. Luckily I can work from home if I have to.
Roberta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:33 pm
@jcboy,
Wishing Antonio a speedy recovery. And wishing you all a splendiferous tree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:38 pm
@jcboy,
Best to keep him home as the first days are when colds are catching..
plus the comfort is good. A lot of us have memories. I think I remember a mustard plaster (what?). I remember not chicken soup but milk toast.
I suppose milk toast is out by now (mucous activating?) but it was comfort food.

Sore throat and not sniffles? sweating thus fever? watch his temp. Watch for rash.

On the don't worry side, most of my early colds started with a mild sore throat.
On the worry side -
I never had strep throat by itself, but I did catch scarlet fever, which is caused by streptococcus, and can be serioso.