The Kvetch Thread

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@Roberta,
You ever consider getting bit by a vampire Roberta? They never have a hard time sleeping during the day. Wishing you could catch some needed Zzzzz's....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:29 am
So I was talking on the phone with an old friend. A friend I knew in first grade. She and I were best friends all through junior high, high school, and college. We drifted apart for a while, but we're friends again.

She mentioned that she thinks I've mellowed. That I've lost some of my edge.

Shocked

Lost my edge??!!

Oh the ignominy. She shame. The horror.

Pondered. Cogitated. Mused. Thought about this.

Mebbe I've mellowed a bit with age--like stinky cheese. But it occurs to me that our communication is mostly written. I have a chance to think about what I'm saying. Consider my choice of words. Maybe that's diminished my edge.

Of course, all I do here is write. You must all think I'm edgeless.

Embarrassed

I'm gonna go sulk for a while.

How humiliating.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:38 am
@Roberta,
You're edgy, already, you're edgy! Quitcha kvetching and ennumerating all the tsores. Remember -- I've met you in the flesh. I know you're edgy.

Now go back to sleep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:42 am
@Roberta,
I can see your edge from here!
Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:55 am
@dlowan,
Andy, You're telling me not to kvetch on the kvetch thread?? What's next? No smiling on the what made you smile thread?

I can't go back to sleep. I haven't been to sleep yet. I'm going soon.

You're a good kid, deb. You're just saying that to calm me down.
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:03 am
@Roberta,
You got more edges than a Swiss Army Knife!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:07 am
@Roberta,
When I can't sleep, I take 50 mg. (2) of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Knocks me right on my tuchus. If you get the generic, you can get hundreds of them for just a few bucks.

Be aware that it may make you a bit fuzzy the next day, so don't take 2 if you have to go somewhere early the next morning.

I learned that trick when I was working with the mentally ill. The docs did not want to give them sleeping pills, so everybody got Benadryl.
Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks, Phoenix. I'll look into it. Gotta make sure that Benadryl doesn't conflict with the nine zillion other meds I'm taking.

I'm no longer taking steroids, and I've been falling asleep without trouble the last few days.

Steroids make me manic, but I didn't make the connection between taking them and insomnia. I'm getting stupider by the second. Is there a pill for that?
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:23 pm
@Roberta,
Cocaine.
Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:42 pm
@dlowan,
deb, Does cocaine make you smarter? Or does it make you think you're smarter?

I'm looking for the real thing before my IQ plummets into double digits.
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:47 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

deb, Does cocaine make you smarter? Or does it make you think you're smarter?

Hon....if you have it you'll not care.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:41 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Jeez - I'm still waiting for my IQ to move into double digits - it's now about the same as my hat size!

But then - I'm not as edgy, as sharp as you....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:01 am
Phoenix, Insomnia again. Not going out for the Benadryl. Phooey.

Deb, If I don't care, then I don't want it.

Margo, You must have a big head.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:13 am
@Roberta,
Steroids do not only make a person manic, it makes them hungry. When my son was about 6 he was on prednisone. I used to visit him in the hospital. He knew just about the time that I would come after work.

Every evening, I would find him standing by the elevator, plate in hand. He said that he was embarrassed to ask for another meal. The gal in dietary told me that every day, he ate three portions of food.
Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 01:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix, I know all about steroids making you hungry. Gained back weight I lost. Phooey.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 02:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
They can make people quite manic and even hallucinatory, not to mention angry or very depressed.

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 02:56 pm
@dlowan,
Yup, deb. I had some experience with the very negative effects of steroids. The ones I was on after the brain surgery were a trip.
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:00 pm
@Roberta,
I bet they were. My friend Helen felt almost psychotic on occasion after the steroids after each round of chemotherapy. My friend Anne becomes profoundly depressed when she has to take prednisone for her asthma.

Overall, I'd say your side effects have been not too bad?
Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:56 pm
@dlowan,
Not too terrible if you don't count a bout of amnesia, which was terrifying. (This was after nine days in the hospital being pumped full of steroids intravenously.)

Otherwise, excess energy, eating, and insomnia.--the down sides. Breathing--the up side.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:28 am
I haven't bought anything for myself in a long time.

In the past week I ordered sneakers and flannel PJs online. I read all the info about deliveries. Nodded. That sounds reasonable.

Reasonable my ass. Where's my stuff you sonsabitches.

(Did I ever mention that I'm not a patient person? I'm not. )

I want my stuff.