Setanta

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 05:19 am
@wayne,
Well, **** stinks, of course, and that's a good thing, because it would be bad for your health to be surrounded by ****. People who routinely and carelessly shat upstream from where they took their drinking water didn't have an evolutionary snowball's hope in Hell. I read somewhere once that when little baby prong horn antelope ****, it comes out in a little sac which Mom can then remove, so that the aroma doesn't attract predators. This doesn't need to go on for very long, because those goats (yes, prong horns are actually goats) can run like the wind, and very soon after being born.

Seriously, though, that scatalogical functions are viewed with distaste could well be an evolutionary product which protected our young from predators, and our water supply from stupidity. As for sexual functions and sexual organs, i blame religion. After all, if you can control someone's sexual urges, you can't really achieve anything greater in the way of dominance.
hamilton

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm
@Setanta,
besides complete control...
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:42 pm
@Setanta,
Absolutely true, Set. Until the Christian missionaries butted in here, uninvited, no Pacific island culture had ever made a connection between 'sin' -- or 'taboo' or 'kapu' as they'd call it -- and sexual activity. But the Judeo-Christian tradition has been marvelous at controlling its adherents by insisting that god is against anything at all that the elders disapprove of, for whatever reason.
Setanta

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's interesting that you mention the elders. The Japanese did a study of macaques, which happen the be the most widely distributed primates other than humans. They were only interested in observing the social structure, so they left yams and unhulled rice for them so that they would remain in one place where they could be observed. One young, un-mated female would carry her yams down to the sea to wash them before eating them. She also learned to scoop up the unhulled rice and take it to a tide pool to wash it, where the rice floated and the sand sank to the bottom of the tide pool (as a lower status member of the troop, she and the other un-mated macaques were last in line for food). Other young macaques began to imitate her behavior. However, the older, mated males and females not only did not imitate her behavior, they would change their position with regard to the troop so that they would not see her behavior.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:01 pm
What I see is that Hamilton is for control, that it is rather key for him or her.

I am doubting Hamilton has had, to date, much opportunity for expression.

I await how this works out.

Get back to me, this may take a while.

0 Replies