Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:51 am
@ossobuco,
um...
no, i did not. not old enough, really.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:18 am
@Shapeless,
This joker is the king of silly questions.
hamilton

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:59 am
@Setanta,
ok. so you think it's silly. big whoop. good for you. you dont need to look at these.just put me onto ignore.
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:28 am
@hamilton,
Why? What fun would that be?
0 Replies

Chights47

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:26 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:
we know its wrong, and it serves no purpose, so why do it?
What's wrong about it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:54 am
Cua Hamilton sez so . . . Duh-uh . . .
Chights47

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:08 am
@Setanta,
I was thinking along those lines but I would prefer to discuss his thoughts on the topic with him because I highly doubt you have the same ideas on the topic as him. I wouldn't mind continuing the topic based on your views however. Do you think that swear words are bad? What do you think swear words good for, if they are good for anything at all?
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:10 am
@Chights47,
Does it frustrate you if someone ignores your witless interrogation?
ehBeth

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:11 am
@Chights47,
Good questions.
0 Replies

Chights47

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:21 am
@Setanta,
First of all, I don't really see how it's "witless", nor even how it's an "interrogation" of any kind. I'm simply asking a couple questions, if you would respond we could actually have a meaningful discussion although I know that's not likely so you don't frustrate me at all anymore. I know to expect very little from you and that's generally all that I get, but there's no harm in trying. You use to frustrate me because you are rarely serious except in a few instances and when you do take something serious you're very agressive about it.
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:26 am
@Chights47,
Any question constitutes an interrogation. There is nothing which obliges me to assure that you "get" anything out of an exchange with me. There is nothing which obliges me to engage in an exchange with you.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:35 am
@Chights47,
The old snob Setanta is witless, and can't help his self from calling everybody else witless (when not instructing us to hurry up and die, which is undoubtedly so he, Setanta can somehow feel better about himself) I found your questions to be of interest.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 11:31 am
@hamilton,
Quote:
we know its wrong, and it serves no purpose, so why do it?

Nothing personal but are you 5 years old or merely emotionally 5 years old? Who says we ALL KNOW IT'S WRONG? Swearing is merely another part of language. Language is used to communicate ideas. Some bits of language is more colorful then other bits and phrases. Like every aspect in life, moderation is key. One shouldn't eat 4 pints of ice cream a day. One shouldn't rely on swearing as the only form of verbal communication either. That said, there is hardly anything earth shattering and soul murdering as swearing like it seems you are implying with this thread which I'm surprised isn't labeled philosophy.

Shakespeare even used swearing in his plays. You can't get any more august then Shakespeare. Did your mother warn you to stay away from his plays because it's raunchy language?

Today, the word of the day for the Urban Dictionary is ****. Below is the second entry for the word.

Quote:
**** 20309 up, 2081 down
From "Monty Python"

Perhaps one of the most interesting words in the english language today, is the word ****. Out of all the english words that begin with the letter 'f' ...**** is the only word refered to as 'the f word... It's the one magical word. Just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love. ****, as most words in the english language is derived from german ...the word fuieken, which means to strike.
In english, **** falls into many grammatical categories:

As a transitive verb for intance ...John fucked Shirley.
As an intransitive verb...Shirley fucks.

Its meaning is not always sexual, it can be used as...

An adjective such as ...John's doing all the ******* work.
As part of an adverb ...Shirley talks too ******* much.
As an adverb enhancing an adjective ...Shirley is ******* beautiful.
As a noun ...I don't give a ****.
As part of a word ...absofuckinglutely -or- infuckingcredible.
And as almost every word in a sentence ...**** the ******* fuckers.

As you must realize, there aren't too many words with the versatility of ****...such as these examples describing situations such as:

Fraud ...I got fucked at the used car lot.
Dismay ...ahhh **** it.
Trouble ...I guess I'm really fucked now.
Agression ...Don't **** with me buddy.
Difficulty ...I don't understand this ******* question.
Inquiry ...Who the **** was that?
Dissatisfaction ...I don't like what the **** is going on here.
Incompetance ...He's a ****-off.
Dismissal ...Why don't you go outside and play hide and go **** yourself...

I'm sure you can think of many more examples.
With all these multi-purpose applications, how can anyone be offended when you use the word. We say use this unique, flexible word more often in your daily speech.
It will identify the quality of your character immediately.
Say it loudly and proudly...
...**** YOU!
See examples above...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****&defid=886258
hamilton

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
wow. thats alot of fucks.
ok. i suppose i should not have said that we all know its wrong. but that doesnt make it right to swear. sometimes people just go out of their way to swear. like saying instead poop, people say ****. it makes no sense. why not say the same thing, in a more appropriate manner?
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:52 pm
@hamilton,
What's wrong with the word ****? Just that you've been told all your life that it's a bad word? It come from Old English (Anglo-Saxon) sceitan, a verb, meaning to separate--as in the feces separated from the body by the act of shitting. Anglo-Saxon forms which began with sc- have been largely converted to sh- if they have continued in use. The use of **** as a noun derives from the verb. The verb is akin the the verb shed (as in get rid of), which also began in Anglo-Saxon with an sc- form.

The only reason to despise Anglo-Saxon verbs and nouns is the attitude of the conqueror that the langauge of those who have been conquered is inferior. Sorry 'bout your luck, Anglo-Saxon is a bigger part of our language than Norman French ever became. But some words are still "bad words," or "dirty words" because of the contempt in which Anglo-Saxon was once held.

Get over it.
hamilton

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:08 pm
@Setanta,
ok. im sure that because you know the origin of a word, and why its "despised", society will just change its ways to suit you, and that swear words will be considered completely appropriate for a three year old to walk around saying to adults, or vice versa.
it was just an example. i could have used the word ass, or bitch. or any one of them. thats beside the point. because you obviously are too dumb to figure that out, and you were to obsessed with researching it up, here it is in print.
it was an example, and the origin, and the reason for "despising" it is completely trivial to the conversation.
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:12 pm
@hamilton,
You're a snide little son of a bitch. No, i'm not as stupid as you. I have no expectations of society. I did think you might want to be educated, something you whined about when you first got here. Foolish me.
thack45

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Huh. I always wonderd how a word become a "swear". Got any more bad word history Set?
hamilton

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're a snide little son of a bitch. No, i'm not as stupid as you.

gasp! the mighty setanta, reduced to the use of petty insults!
and what else? there's more?
he used the word stupid, after displaying his abhorrence to such a childish word!
oh, how the "mighty" and kind have fallen to such pathetic lows.
0 Replies

hamilton

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:16 pm
@thack45,
he has lots. just read some of his posts...