Running 20 miles a day?

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 03:40 pm
Is this realistic, even if you're in good shape?

I was talking to someone on the phone last week, and she said "I run 20 miles a day"

At first I said "Wow, that's like a marathon every day" (I know a marathon is 25 or 26.)

I was curious, so I asked "Do you mean 20 miles every day, or like every other day, or 4 or 5 times a week?"
She seemed to side step the question, started talking about some guy she worked with, and every time she saw him they would compare how far they were going.

I listened for a moment, and then, more to see if she would avoid answering again, I rephrased and asked again.
She did avoid answering, just went back to more or less repeating the story about the guy.

That's like 100 miles a week, professional ath stuff I'd think, and she's not a professional, or training for anything.

I don't care about her per se, but 20 miles seems kind of high for more than a once in a while thing.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 03:44 pm
@chai2,
Of course it's high. You have been talking with a wannabe obsessive, not an easy task, given delusions.

I'm not a runner now, but I used to follow running, and I take this as both lying and benighted.

Maybe I'm not up to date on those that run huge miles.

Clump, clump.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:03 pm
@chai2,
I don't think she'd have time to run 20 miles a day and I think she was bs-ing you. Her avoidance to your two direct questions is a clear indication of that... and most runners/joggers don't do it every day - you need to give yourself a day to allow any torn muscles to heal (from what I'm told)... and she's not a prof. athlete, so I think she's full of it.
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:17 pm
@Mame,
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

She didn't even have any reason to bring it up. It wasn't even what we were talking about.

She impressed me as one of those people that just tells you stuff because she's breathing.
Ragman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:27 pm
@chai2,
Your BS detector should have been activated by this tall tale. Nowadays many olympic level elite runners LIMIT their miles to around 100-120 miles per week. A non-profeassional would be nuts to try to run that type of mileage...unless, let's say, it's the last week or two before a serious competitive marathon. If she was serious and not just a mediocre jogger who runs, say 7-minute-miles, that'd mean she ran about 2.5 hours per day. Who has that sort of time?

FQWIW, as a former runner from Boston area, I used to read and listen to whatever the serious runners like Bill Rodgers, who had a running store in Boston at the time. That store was like a runner's Mecca. I think at his peak, he ran about 125 miles per week and he was a pro!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:29 pm
If she runs at a 9-minute mile pace, it would take her 180 minutes to run
20 miles. That's three hours. Three solid hours of running a day?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:35 pm
Looks like you all agree with me, but I get the lack of ribbon.
Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Will this one do?

http://www.tlkpride.org/knarrlysblog/media/blogs/knarrly/yoville/redribbon.png
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 03:34 am
@ossobuco,

ribbons are awarded for Questions, not Discussions...

R(20 a day? she's full of it)P
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:08 am
@chai2,
is her name Florence Gump by any Chance?

run, Florence, run
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:46 am
When I was a boy, I ran to school every day, 20 miles each way. Thirty, when I took the scenic route.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 06:47 am
@chai2,
Perhaps she meant km? That would bring it down to a little less than 12 1/2 mi. Still pretty high but not outrageous.

I have friends who are marathoners. They do not go 20 mi/day even when they are in intensive training because your body needs rest and they have other things to do than hand over up to 4 hours/day to running, every single day. They have lives outside of running.

Walking 20 mi is even longer, of course. A slow-paced walker takes 30 mins/mile so that would of course be a 10-hr slog.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:19 am
@chai2,
In a woid, bullfeathers.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:43 am
20? Of course she's lying. Anyone who's serious about running--take me, for instance--runs at least 30, with a weighted vest. My vest has a bright pink middle finger stitched on the back for all the slowpokes to admire as I dart past them.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:43 am
That does seem like an awful lot, Chai. I run 20-25 miles, maybe, in a full week. I don't run every single day though, and she runs in 1 day what I run typically in 1 week's time (so she says).

The next time you speak with her, ask her how often she has to replace her running shoes. Her answer will tell you a lot. I replace mine about every 3 months, which equates to about every 250-300 miles. You can get a few more miles out of your shoes than that; I just choose not to. At the rate she is going, she would need to replace hers about every 2 weeks in order to not kill her feet, knees, IT bands, etc. Even then, I would think she is bound to suffer orthopedically over time. A good pair of running shoes is by no means cheap. You cannot use a typical pair of tennis shoes. I only buy Brooks shoes, although I am sure there are other good brands out there. That is just what works best for me. So ask her what brand shoes she buys, also.

Anywho, I vote that she is probably not being honest with ya on that. Unless, of course, she is super woman.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 12:10 pm
@JustBrooke,
I'm not going to be talking to her again. I honestly don't care about her one way or the other, and already figured out after 1 other brief conversation (not about running...our 2 conversations were never about running, it was just something she brought up) that she's a strange duck.

Since I'm not a runner, I just wanted confirmation that 20 miles isn't a doable regular thing. It's what I thought logically, just wanted to make sure.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 03:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Is this realistic, even if you're in good shape?

Yes, it's realistic when you're in good shape. For a good amateur runner, this is a one-and-a-half-hour run in the morning, and another one in the evening. It's not easy, but it' not superhuman either.

That said, I suspect hype in the particular case of the woman you talked to. Her evasive maneuvers when you tried to pin her down seem very suspcicious.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 03:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
I was teasing/pouting. Last I looked I had had a big fat zero for a post. No, I don't care, but am mouthy brat while not caring.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:55 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
. . . For a good amateur runner, this is a one-and-a-half-hour run in the
morning, and another one in the evening. It's not easy, but it' not
superhuman either. . .

Is this your running schedule? Yikes! I am not worthy to have run with you.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 05:44 am
20 miles a day....um...maybe she ran 20 miles ONE day and got confused...or...if you've read "Born to Run" you've met not only the Tarahumara (who run staggering distances of over 100 miles in mountainous terrain on a daily basis) but also five or six Norte Americanos who traveled down to Mexico to run with them because they liked running 50-60 miles at a time and wanted to see if they could keep up. (They could.)

So, was this person about as thin as a whip but solidly thick from the waist to the toes??

I going to say it's quite possible to run 20 a day, five or six times a week; her lack of follow-up to your questions gives me pause, but maybe she's just crazy that way too.

Joe(going out to run 8 before it gets hot.)Nation