why do we sacrifice effort so much for formality?

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:02 pm
this is a bit like that topic asking about why we wear clothes....
any ways, while i was putting my coat onto a hook a while ago, i realized, not for the first time i didnt want to do it. so i threw it onto a chair nearby, reasoning that i'd be going out early, so why bother with going to a closet. it wasnt like i would be expecting anyone. so why do we do this? why cant we put practical needs over polite ones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,880 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:15 pm
@hamilton,
Hanging one's coat up in a closet has nothing to do with "formality" or manners or politeness. It's extremely practical to have one's things out of the way in their appointed places, rather than to be tripping over them. I always know where everything is in my home because I always put things back where they belong. I get damned few visitors so I'm certainly not doing it for the sake of appearance. It's a practical consideration.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:18 pm
@hamilton,
Learned behavior. Part of the fun of growing older is getting to make your own personal choices. Some will be poor, some will be freeing, to each his own. Or her own, as the case may be. Of course, one still needs to play well with others to some extent, which can be constraining.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
it is when my mom says to...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:38 pm
@hamilton,
Your mom is trying to teach you to live like a responsible adult. Again, it's not about politeness. It's a practical matter.
hamilton

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
ok. that wasnt a good example i guess. ummm...
ok. can anyone here think of a time that they sacrifice practicabelness(?) for formality?
0 Replies