Video games and the Constitutional rights of minors

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:05 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I have never learned to be numbed to pain.

I don't think TV, video games, movies, music or any other form of entertainment teach children that delivering pain is a pleasure.
Seriously??? You sit there having a good time shooting people and the thought that killing might be pleasure does not cross your desk??? I don't believe it...
boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:09 am
@Fido,
Nope.

Nothing I've seen or done makes me think that there is pleasure in killing anything, much less another person.

I am perfectly competent in separating fiction from reality. So are most kids.
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 08:08 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Nope.

Nothing I've seen or done makes me think that there is pleasure in killing anything, much less another person.

I am perfectly competent in separating fiction from reality. So are most kids.
Naturally... That is why they join the army and go to war.... That is why so many kill themselves, because killing and having other try to kill you is not all it is cranked up to be... I think most people kill in the expectation that it will feel better than it does, and television and video games help with that... But we must have commercial freedom of speech... What if they were trying to get your kids to take poison... Look at what it took to end Cigarette advertizing... It is the original gate way drug and you can't stop it because it is legal... It does not matter how many it kills and that the society cannot afford the health care costs any better than the cost of putting people in prison... The Supreme Court is a collective hat without a head...
boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 08:19 pm
@Fido,
Ohhhh.... so that's why there was no war prior to say..... 1970 when Pong came out. Right?

I don't often resort to replies such as this but you, sir, are completely full of ****.
Fido

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:11 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Ohhhh.... so that's why there was no war prior to say..... 1970 when Pong came out. Right?

I don't often resort to replies such as this but you, sir, are completely full of ****.
There were mercenaries in the past.. The Persian army was full of Greeks trying to make their fortunes in war... Before civilization people fought only for their own people against people who considered them as little more than animals, and who they took as animals as well... Native Americans would torture their captives for days and in the end let them loose all burned and tore up for the kids to kill... Mother would dip the feet of their babies in the blood of the slain.... Such hatred the world seldom knows today, but with primitives true morality vanished from our lives... Children now would as soon kill their parents and kill an enemy, and our enemies are not people we have to seriously fear, but rather, people we must traverse the earth to find... We call it patriotism, but a shrink might call it the death wish... There is in life a great anxiety and foreboding of death that we often embrace because to hold it at arm's length is too exhausting... We take out our pain on the world, and on each other...We live in denial of self because we must for having nothing with which to satisfy our unhappy souls, and fill our individual souls... We admire the rich because they seem so satisfied, but to know them, and to know of them is to realized they suffer no less spiritual pain only because their physical needs are certain... But for these very rich we war having more in common with those we kill than those who send us without thought...

We are all like Oedipus, doing what we do not knowing what we do... Youth is naturally ignorant and uncaring... They often sell their lives for a dare... For this reason they fight wars that benefit them not at all, and help to make worse every person's condition.... Why would I, knowing the reality of youth and of humanity support the playing of video games that tend to devalue life in the least???...

One of my kids, actually an attorney, is good at video games and does it on line as well... They are bloody battles making sport of the killing of human like figures.... I do not believe he would kill anyone by choice; but clearly he thinks about it since he owns a real handgun, as I do myself... He has younger children, and far more property than I have to protect... But the real property we seek to protect, our own lives are often taken by gun owners from themselves... The violence they conceive of is turned against themselves... Or another in their family gets their gun and turns it against them...

Personally; I have had enough of death... I do not wish it on my worst enemy knowing he may wish it upon me... If he came for my life, I can't say I would defend it thinking it pointless to defend what I cannot keep... I might still defend my family, and with regrets of having to injure anyone... But I am old, and I speak out of knowledge no youth owns... WE have enough of numbness to pain... We need to feel it to fight back against it rather than making a game of it... We are the targets of the bullets we fire in those games... In reality humanity cannot kick humanity without humanity feeling the pain... We are not many nations, but one, and we need peace and love... What video game teaches that???
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 08:30 am
@Fido,
Oh please.

Violent crime rates have been dropping steadily since the mid-90s.

Most people attribute this to the availability of legal abortions after the decision in Roe v. Wade in 1973.

Pong came out in 1973.

If people are indeed suffering from some spiritual malaise and their very nature inclines them towards mayhem and destruction as you suggest, then maybe getting to act out their aggression in a fantasy game prevents them from acting out in reality.

My "soul" is not unhappy. I'm not looking to fill it with pain. I don't admire the rich either.
Fido

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:05 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Oh please.

Violent crime rates have been dropping steadily since the mid-90s.

Most people attribute this to the availability of legal abortions after the decision in Roe v. Wade in 1973.

Pong came out in 1973.

If people are indeed suffering from some spiritual malaise and their very nature inclines them towards mayhem and destruction as you suggest, then maybe getting to act out their aggression in a fantasy game prevents them from acting out in reality.

My "soul" is not unhappy. I'm not looking to fill it with pain. I don't admire the rich either.
Do you ever consider that you may be the exception and not the rule???
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:07 am
She is certainly not the exception, nor wrong, in saying that Fido is full of ****.
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:28 am
@Fido,
In this case I think I am absolutely the "rule".
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

She is certainly not the exception, nor wrong, in saying that Fido is full of ****.
That may be true... At least it is not chicken **** like you are full of...

You know, yard bird, what we can do we first imagine doing, and for that reason I never used the silloette of a person when I practiced with a pistol... I may be as violent as the next person, and perhaps more in the right circumstance; but killing is person is the worst possible offense against mankind, and God too, if there is one... What is the last resort should not ever be considered until all other actions have been tried... For that reason I did not consider it, or imagine when if might be necessary, and I did not plan for that time, but shrank from the outrage of it... I have held a gun in my hand when I have been angry enough to kill... I didn't do it, and when I think of what I might have killed over I feel relieved of my stupidity... I do not like people thinking about it, planning for it, or considering the circumstances when it might be justified... It can never really be justified, and it cannot be more justified by preparation for it when all should prepare to avoid it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:51 pm
@Setanta,
Silhouette... Excuse my spelling, nitpick...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 06:36 pm
I just watched a documentary called "Playing Columbine" on Netflix that deals with video games and 1st Amendment issues.

It's pretty dang interesting for those of you who want to know more about this topic.
Fido

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:04 am
@boomerang,
I have been reading an old book about Adoph Hitler called The Psychopathic God... As I learned from other sources as well, he played cowboys and indians, and war games late into his youth, long after kids his own age had quit playing them, and then he started WWII in Europe... But then; he was Hitler, and not every one who plays at war is a Hitler...
0 Replies