Eager to Please......

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 07:26 pm
a penchant for honesty--mutually exclusive..........................................
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Rae

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
A penchant for honesty is not something that you can expect mutually, Miss Letty. Just doesn't happen that way a lot of the time.

And I believe it's because people don't take the time to truly get to know each other enough to see through each other.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 05:09 am
Good morning, Rae. Actually, this is a type of philosophy that I was wondering about. It seems that when one wants to please folks, and still remain honest, something has got to give. At exactly what point should we compromise? Or should we just ignore what we feel to be unbridled passion that has turned into ugly exchanges? Should we give that proverbial "soft answer" that turneth away wrath? I have thought about this quite a bit, recently. Now, I'm gonna make some coffee and think about it some more. Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 09:42 am
Now that you've explained it a bit more, I need another cup of tea so I can think about it more, too!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 09:51 am
Keep this in mind:

When someone says to you, "Does this dress make me look fat?" or "Do this new haircut look okay?" -- they really are not asking questions -- and they really are not looking for the turth.

They are begging you to be kind.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:11 am
and while Miz Rae has her tea, Frank. I have always known that what you say is true. What is the aphorism? The wealthy man begs me for his envy, and the poor man for my charity. There is also another interesting observation about this same mini-philosophy. Beware of pointed compliments, because they can also be slurs. In any social gathering, when one person is singled out for kudos, to the neglect of others, that is a veiled rejection.
0 Replies