Speeding Ticket: 25 feet from Speed-Zone End - Should I Contest or Plead?

MrIVI

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:03 pm
Backstory:
I was driving through a speed-zone at a legal speed. As I approached an end speed-zone sign, I accelerated. It turned out that a police officer was parked behind a bush in someone drive way, approximately 25 feet before the end speed zone sign. Due to the bush and other obstructions, I sincerely believe he was not capable of reading my speed until I'd passed the end of speed zone sign. Therefore he clocked me at what he indicated was 45 mph. I of course received a speeding ticket.

Now:
I need to know what I should do. The police officer was parked just inside the speed-zone, but I'm certain he could only clock me outside the speed zone in which I wasn't speeding. I'm not really sure any traffic judge would take my word over the police officer's on that though, so I wanted to get an opinion what do you people think? I also could plead. I think I have a decent plea as well: I was watching the speed signs, I simply accelerated at the end speed-zone sign and whether or not you believe I was clocked in or out of the speed-zone it doesn't seem like that huge a deal: I either must have accelerated a bit too early or I was didn't and that speed if from outside the zone in which there's no fault. Add those facts to the fact that I'm a broke, employee of a college/student. I also have the financial burden complaint. What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,994 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:36 pm
@MrIVI,
"i didn't think i'd get caught" is rarely a good defence

i'm guessing, if you couldn't talk your way out of the ticket, you probably won't fare much better in court
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:36 pm
@MrIVI,
I think you will lose if you enter a not guilty plea. If your driving record is worth more than the money, you might come out better with a decent lawyer. You also might not.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:43 pm
@roger,
I'm no expert on this, but I've read people say to go to court instead of just paying because that policeman might not show up. Dunno, will wait to see what others say.
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:04 pm
@MrIVI,
A co-worker was pulled over at a "known" speed trap. She was speeding, but driving with the flow of traffic. She went to court - even though she was speeding they let her go with a warning. I think because she had a clean record.

It may be worth the effort to state your case - I'd plead your case as you know it. Basically state you began to acceralerate at the end of the speed zone and leave it at that. I wouldn't give the "I have no money plea" as that is just whining and may actually irrate the court.

Depends if the court is feeling generous. All it takes is half a day of your time - worst thing is - they say pay the ticket -you may though have to pay before you leave so better have the money just in case.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Sometimes the police officer does not show up and has a replacement in their place. It happened to my husband - it really stinks because even though the actual officer wasn't there - they used what the officer wrote and his "replacement" said yeah officer joe is a respected guy sort of thing.

Hubby had to pay.
0 Replies