How would funny animals be aware of what species they are if there are no human characters around?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:49 pm
If funny animals, or any animals in cartoons, didn't have any degree of human qualities or characteristics ascribed to them, people would not be able to relate to them.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:57 pm
@djjd62,
I know the topic question was a WEIRD ONE but it wasn't MEANT to be SERIOUS. I was bored when I posted it.

NO ONE LIKES A KILLJOY. SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU.
djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:54 am
@JGoldman10,
you didn't offend me, nothing offends me

i gave you a reasonable answer, twice, you either don't understand what i'm suggesting or don't care

i could have predicted you'd default to god, so you already have your answer, god created the animals in the world and told them what they were

as for language, they can speak anything you want them too, but if your going to sell your comic on earth, it would help if the spoke an earth language
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:38 am
@JGoldman10,
As an alternative to boldface, you could italicize for emphasis by enclosing the word(s) with [img] and [/img] (which, I assume, you already know). If you'd be willing to bend just a little bit to accomodate other members, you might receive a favorable response from them in return. At this point, though, it might be too late to expect an immediate change. You also might remember that when you do get mad, you're not able to make an effecitve argument because then you're driven by emotion and your reasoning ability may be diminshed. Believe me, I speak from my own past experience in this forum. Just trying to give you some advice, my friend, sincerely.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:15 am
@djjd62,
Now you are JUST being WEIRD. Humanized animals DO NOT EXIST IN THE REAL WORLD.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:15 am
@wmwcjr,
The Bible says not to give into anger or to worry- it only leads to trouble.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:27 am
@djjd62,
ADAM was in the Garden of Eden naming the animals. It is in the Bible.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:56 am
@JGoldman10,
You're absolutely right.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:17 am
@JGoldman10,
As a Bible believer, I agree with this statement, too. But there's something you need to recognize; and that is, people who don't believe in the Bible aren't going to care what it says. You can say, "It's in the Bible"; but that fact's not going to make any impression on them. Since most of the members of this forum are nonbelievers, you can expect this sort of reaction. I'm not saying this to put anyone down; it's simply a fact of life.
djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@wmwcjr,
exactly
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:43 am
@JGoldman10,
i never said humanized animals existed in the real world, your question was about non real animals in a cartoon or comic setting

JGoldman10 wrote:
Funny animals are animals in cartoons that act like people.

from my point of view they would be sentient self aware things, capable of knowing what they are (as i've stated a few times in this thread, much to your chagrin), from your point of view a god would have endowed them with the same knowledge

parados

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 01:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

English and all the foreign languages PEOPLE speak are HUMAN languages. So how would these "beings" be capable of speaking English?

Because they are drawn that way.

Why does Dora the Explorer speak English on US TV and Spanish on Mexican TV? Clearly she didn't do the exact same actions using different languages. No one would repeat things exactly.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 02:12 pm
You think dogs don't realize they aren't humans, or ducks, and that they like (and are like) other dogs, simply because they don't have words for it? No, my friend, they know they are dogs. They may be polite when you introduce them to one of your friends (if you have any), but they'll really pull on that leash when there's another dog in view. Incidentally, among themselves, dogs call us "grr-rar-rar-urf-wra", which loosely translated means, "those guys who can't smell worth ****".
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:23 pm
@wmwcjr,
The better question is, does GOD exist in these cartoons?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:24 pm
@djjd62,
That's a little TOO weird. That's delving into weird territory.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Animals don't think and act like people. Animals do not invent things.

MAN gave animals their names- dog, cat, rabbit, whatever.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
Funny animals are humanized animals that exist in a fantasy setting.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:00 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

Sentience is the ability to feel, or perceive, or be conscious, or have subjective experiences. 18th century philosophers used the term to distinguish the ability to think ("reason") from the ability to feel ("sentience"). In modern western philosophy, sentience is the ability to have sensations or experiences (known as "qualia"). For Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The term is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience implies the ability to suffer, which entails certain rights. In science fiction, a non-human character described as "sentient" will typically have similar abilities, qualities and rights to a human being.

This is a humanistic concept - but does it come from man or from God?
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
i guess it depends on what you believe, i'd say man
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:49 pm
Cartoon animals and other non-human characters in cartoons, like aliens and talking inanimate objects, are sentient. Sentience is a HUMAN quality- if these characters didn't possess any degree of anthropomorphism people would not be able to relate to them.

Animals in cartoons that aren't considered funny animals (like Bambi or Pluto) still possess a certain degree of anthropomorphism, like having human speech and expressing human emotion.
0 Replies