Help!!

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:12 pm
I was laid by the buzzard
Hatched by the sun (son?)
Mother and Father I had none.
I spoke my first word
And never spoke again.
Who (or what) am I?

This is a riddle my boss told me several months ago. He said his mother told it to him when he was young. He would ask if he could do something, and she would say he could, but only if he could answer the riddle. But he never could. It took him 40 years to finally figure it out. Now he says that he will give me a week off with pay if I can come up with the answer. I found a similar riddle on another site and the answer was "thunder". But when I tried that, he said it was very close, but not quite right. (He said that thunder "speaks" again). He says that my problem is that I'm over thinking it. Does anyone know the answer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,541 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:17 pm
This is a really bad riddle. It's been posted here before so if you do a quick search you'll see the discussion about it.

It is based on Darwin... heck, I won't spoil it. Have a quick search and you'll find it on these boards.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:19 pm
Bookmarking. I'm thinking but have no good theories....
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:15 pm
The answer is "lightning" can you work out why? Clue: the answer lies within the mythology of a native American tribe.
0 Replies

von eterbo

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:10 am
oh man it's definitely a hurricane. think about it.
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:25 pm
kev wrote:
The answer is "lightning" can you work out why? Clue: the answer lies within the mythology of a native American tribe.

Huh?
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:25 pm
von eterbo wrote:
oh man it's definitely a hurricane. think about it.

Please explain.....
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:22 pm
O.K.

I was laid by the buzzard,

read this link ( Entitled Hawks of the Thunderbolts) CAREFULLY, dont just skip over it, pay attention to references to the key words "buzzard" lightning" Thunderbolts"

http://trox11.tripod.com/snake/tlanuhwa.htm

Hatched by the sun.

Lightening cannot occur without the suns help, read the first two lines of "how lightning forms" on this link:

http://www.thirteen.org/savageplanet/03deadlyskies/01lforms/indexmid.html

mother and father I had none---self explanatory

I "spoke" once
and never "spoke" again

Lightning never strikes in the same place twice, ergo once it has "spoken" it never speaks again.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:25 pm
As one of the many who spent many hours on this riddle may I express my gratitude on behalf of myself and my friends on this site when I say thank you sweetypete for having the courtesy to tell us whether or not our findings were either right or wrong.

Yours faithfully Kev.
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:11 pm
kev wrote:
As one of the many who spent many hours on this riddle may I express my gratitude on behalf of myself and my friends on this site when I say thank you sweetypete for having the courtesy to tell us whether or not our findings were either right or wrong.

Yours faithfully Kev.

Calm down, Kev. I apologize for not responding, but I've been extremely busy at work the last few weeks, so I haven't had time to discuss the riddle answer(s) with my boss. As I mentioned before, he is the one that knows the correct answer and not me, so I won't be able to tell you if your findings were right or wrong until I talk to him. Thanks for your help, though, and as soon as I know something I'll let you know.
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
Sorry to say, Kev......I talked with my boss and he said "lightning" is NOT the correct answer. Thanks anyway, but I guess it's back to square one......
0 Replies

chaossoldiermsc

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:29 am
about the speaking part in lightning, it does speak again, except in a different place
0 Replies