Maryland now requires ‘environmental proficiency’ to graduate from high school

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:31 am
@boomerang,
This looks like a perfectly useful and interesting curriculum to me. But the way this website presents the material puts me off. It makes me suspect a conspiracy to reduce learning to a state of joyless drudgery. Why oh why can't we organize teaching plans so that children want to learn this stuff?
boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:38 am
@Thomas,
Boy oh boy do I ever agree! I thought the same thing. I could just hear some kid thinking "this will look great on my college application" instead of "that sounds like a really interesting class".

I blame the joyless drudgery of school for Mo thinking of reading as a "have to" instead of a "want to".
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:29 am
@boomerang,
Quote:

Our virtual library of the environment is one of the most comprehensive online collections of research and teaching resources for K-12 environmental studies. The website includes background on basic scientific and economic concepts, current scientific research, data sources, and classroom resources on a wide variety of issues, such as global climate change, biodiversity, energy, and land use.

That's a code term and exists in part because the term "global warming" is no longer respectable, again thanks to Vladimir Putin. But it's the same dog ****, the same cap/trade scheme, the same plan to impoverish the world and wreck national economies for the greater glory of Gaea.

Apparently Putin and Russia's top hackers were able to save everybody on the planet except for Maryland. That's like having a rescue ship pull up to the Titanic and everybody on the sinking ship get off except for one stupid bastard who'd rather take his chances on the Titanic.

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:50 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
That's a code term and exists in part because the term "global warming" is no longer respectable, again thanks to Vladimir Putin.

Nothing like a defender of American liberty singing the praises of Vladimir Putin.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:47 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

This looks like a perfectly useful and interesting curriculum to me. But the way this website presents the material puts me off. It makes me suspect a conspiracy to reduce learning to a state of joyless drudgery. Why oh why can't we organize teaching plans so that children want to learn this stuff?
Society is stupid? =)

People dont really learn stuff that they dont want to learn, they just forget it once they are past the tests or whatever. But schools seem to have not admited that yet.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:51 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I'll say it again, I do not do other people's research for them.

I'm asking you to back up your factual claims with a link to the facts. Your facts, your research.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
@Thomas,
Damn Thomas, you must be unamerican if your asking a conserative to back up what they say with facts! It just isent done.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
@gungasnake,
Gunga doesnt deny that the global climate is changing does he? Im sure hed wish that the side of the story that does NOT blame climate change on all of humanity.
Overall however, gunga sides with the poachers, the mountain top removal guys and all the extraction industries that go on without oversight.

Thomas, one thing about gunga. HE is always able to post other peoples work that even remotely sounds like something he wishes to believe in. He just fails in the abilities to sustain his points under closer inspection. Hes usually good for about two or three posts after which he bails becuase he runs out of predigested verbal ammo.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 01:51 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Damn Thomas, you must be unamerican if your asking a conserative to back up what they say with facts! It just isent done.

I am indeed a German. And I do sometimes wonder if I ought to have emigrated to Canada instead of the US.
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:02 pm
@Thomas,
No no . . . you're fine just where you're at. Keep in mind, the Tories have a majority government here.
Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No no . . . you're fine just where you're at. Keep in mind, the Tories have a majority government here.

They're not Tories, they're loyalists. And I'm sure they teach their children about the environment.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:16 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
They're not Tories, they're loyalists.
That depends on which side of the line at Calais/ ST STephen you call home.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 02:31 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
And I'm sure they teach their children about the environment.

Uh-huh . . . wanna buy a bridge?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 03:51 pm
Sadly our PM is an end of timer... But the kids do go to a good public school, so perhaps they'll dump the dogma.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 06:31 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

gungasnake wrote:
I'll say it again, I do not do other people's research for them.

I'm asking you to back up your factual claims with a link to the facts. Your facts, your research.

You need to realize that, when you make a claim, it's your job to back it up, and when GungasnaKKKe makes a claim, it's your job to back it up.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:06 am
@joefromchicago,
Exotic stuff, yeah, stuff which is basically common knowledge, no.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:45 am
@gungasnake,
If it's common knowledge, how come you can't find a link?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:49 am
@joefromchicago,
You have to be common to know it.

Or be wearing your cap'n crunch decoder ring.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:25 am
@joefromchicago,
If you weren't so busy making noise you might have noticed that Boomerang has already provided such a link above, again:

Quote:
There is a lot of information on their site: http://www.enviroliteracy.org/subcategory.php/1.html

Thomas

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 09:54 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
If you weren't so busy making noise you might have noticed that Boomerang has already provided such a link above, again:
Quote:
There is a lot of information on their site: http://www.enviroliteracy.org/subcategory.php/1.html

I saw that link when Boomerang provided it, and I suspect that Joe did, too. But your claim was that Maryland requires its schools to indoctrinate students with Gaia worship. Where does the curriculum to which Boomerang linked say anything about Gaia worship?