Dog potty training failed and I need help

tovo

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:31 pm
I have a pit mix who is about 1yr old now. She is very smart and stubborn, but learns quickly. I have owned many breeds of dogs including a tea cup Chihuahua who I litter box trained. My current dog is my only dog and regardless of all potty training I have done nothing has worked. I have used kennel training, leash and outside potty spot, command word, treats, abundant potty breaks, monitoring water intake, cleaned her spots with ammonia, black light and natures miracle, shampoo my carpets plenty of times. She knows where to potty and goes potty on command when I ask, but she still pees in the house, Carpets, beds, her kennle when not locked inside it, even my family's house and bed. I have her go before I let her in at my family and if the bedroom door is left open she hops right on their bed and pees. I just don't know what to do any more to make her stop. Yes she has been in to the vet and utd on shots as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,667 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 01:59 am
@tovo,
It sounds like she has urinary incontinence. If she pees when she sleeps or with a little physical exertion (like jumping up) this could be the problem. It's common in female dogs that were neutered young. Ask your vet about it because there are medications that can help. I had a dog on a drug called Proin and it stopped the problem.
tovo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 09:18 am
@Green Witch,
She doesn't pee while sleeping or from being physical. The beds or kennle along with every where else in the house are just a couple places she will go to to pee. She wasn't spayed until 6 months old and has had great physicals and blood work results from the vets. That's what is leading me to believe its not medical, but behavioral instead.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:22 am
@tovo,
tovo wrote:
That's what is leading me to believe its not medical, but behavioral instead.

How is she generally in regard to accepting the dominant role of the humans in the household?
tovo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:42 am
@ehBeth,
With me she knows I'm leader, mostly with my husband as well, but with my kids, their friends or anyone else she tries to be dominant. Jumps all over them, will launch on top if them when they sit on the couch, doesn't respect their space or commands unless I'm standing over her claiming them.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 12:15 pm
@tovo,
Sounds like you need to do more training around establishing the alpha position of all humans she comes into contact with.
0 Replies

rlvandebogart

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 07:29 pm
My Sheltie boy is now been through two years of potty training but even with me taking him out every hour, he goes out and pees or poops and he comes inside and pees over and over in my kitchen. We had him checked for UTI's and vet says he does not have. We've been to behavial doctors and still no more progress. He does not go in his house but our kitchen hardwood floors have be cleaned with enzyme cleaners and he still goes pee and now poop in the same area of the kitchen. I am going crazy but hate to give up on this dog. Help with some suggestions that may have help you train your dog?
[email protected]
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:36 pm
@rlvandebogart,
I don't know myself, having not dealt with that. But I think I remember Bella Dea dealing with this. Anyway, hang around, people will answer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:40 pm
I tried to change the tags, took me a while.. still odd. Hah, I got New Question about Starting Car.... one of those fill in things.
0 Replies