What do I need to ask in my letter to this bank?

Dosed

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 03:44 pm
Hey there,
I just found something fishy on my credit report. There was a negative account from HSBC bank, which I had never heard of. The credit card account was opened when I was 16 years old, so I knew it couldn't have been mine. The account went without payments and was charged off and closed by the bank. Turns out that the credit card was in my mom's name, and she had listed me as an authorized user to her credit card. I called the bank and told them this, and they said I would have to send a letter and it would be disputed. I've never done this kind of thing before, so I was wondering if someone could help me out? I just don't know what I should write in the letter. If anyone has any advice or maybe a link to writing these kinds of letters, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,768 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 04:58 pm
Dear __________

I am writing to dispute a credit report submitted by your bank to the XYZ credit reporting company.

The issue is the XYZ credit card issued (date) and (number). This credit card was issued to my mother, _____________, who placed my name on the application as a user. I was 16 years old at the time.

I have no knowledge of the card's past or current status or activity and, as a minor, could not have been held responsible for the charges on the bill.

I request that you remove this report from the XYZ Credit Reporting company asap.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 05:55 pm
@Dosed,
You might want to actually help your own case by adding a copy of your birth certificate BEFORE they ask for proof of your age at the time. Add the copy as evidence and an exclamation point to your claim.

But just a warning, your mother might get into legal trouble if she opened an account to take advantage of your credit identity.
Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:10 am
@tsarstepan,
It doesn't sound like she used it for his identity - it sounds like she added him as an authorized "user" of the card. I'm assuming just in case for some reason, she wanted him to be able to charge something in an emergency. I've heard of parents doing this before - my kids are too young yet.
0 Replies