I'm trying to understand people who don't read for pleasure.

sonalfred

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:45 pm
@boomerang,
Hello there how are you?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 12:34 pm
I had always love to read, in fact I remember in the third or four grade the teacher ask us to made a list of books we had read over the summer an my list came to four type pages.

It was also fun at times to have more information then the teacher with special note of when school history books had been edit to be G rated an I could add bits of information that was filter out of the history books.

At least two of the principle generals under Washington was doing their best to under cut him and one of the two was capture behind enemy lines when he was visiting an inn known for their hookers.

Washington did not take a salary during his time as head of the army however by a book written by a CPA he pad the hell our to his expense account with congress.

Dropping little bits of such information in class was fun at times.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 09:53 pm
@Linkat,
In a book written by Robert Heinlein he had his main character saying the following:

Quote:
But I didn't go to sleep. The truth is, I've got a monkey on my back, a habit worse than marijuana though not as expensive as heroin. I can stiff it out and get to sleep anyway--but it wasn't helping that I could see light in Stars tent and a silhouette that was no longer troubled by a dress.
The fact is I am a compulsive reader. Thirty-five cents' worth of Gold Medal Original will put me right to sleep. Or Perry Mason. But I'll read the ads in an old Paris-Match that has been used to wrap herring before I'll do without.

Somehow I completely identify with those comments.
roger

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 10:29 pm
@BillRM,
Me too. At least I quit reading the labels on ketchup bottles.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 02:17 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Me too. At least I quit reading the labels on ketchup bottles.

Hell I used to always have a paperback book in my pocket. Thank god for my two nooks one for backup in case the first one no longer work for some reason.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 02:33 pm
@roger,
I still read the majority of labels. It's good to know exactly what the manufacturer has put in there. Including their ideas of what can be passed off as 'all natural'.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 04:23 pm
Interesting thread let see reading might just get your kill as for example Stephen King of all people was walking down a narrow road reading a book when along came a pick up truck with a driver and his dog. Driver took a moment to deal with his dog and ran over Mr King placing him in an ICU.

In King writings about the accident he placed the blame only on the driver and not on himself also for walking on the side of a narrow road while reading a book.and not paying any attention to the road traffic.

Note in my life time I had done similar things.
0 Replies