45

I'm trying to understand people who don't read for pleasure.

sonalfred

-2  
Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:45 pm
@boomerang,
Hello there how are you?

BillRM

1  
Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 12:34 pm
I had always love to read, in fact I remember in the third or four grade the teacher ask us to made a list of books we had read over the summer an my list came to four type pages.

It was also fun at times to have more information then the teacher with special note of when school history books had been edit to be G rated an I could add bits of information that was filter out of the history books.

At least two of the principle generals under Washington was doing their best to under cut him and one of the two was capture behind enemy lines when he was visiting an inn known for their hookers.

Washington did not take a salary during his time as head of the army however by a book written by a CPA he pad the hell our to his expense account with congress.

Dropping little bits of such information in class was fun at times.

BillRM

1  
Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 09:53 pm
@Linkat,
In a book written by Robert Heinlein he had his main character saying the following:

But I didn't go to sleep. The truth is, I've got a monkey on my back, a habit worse than marijuana though not as expensive as heroin. I can stiff it out and get to sleep anyway--but it wasn't helping that I could see light in Stars tent and a silhouette that was no longer troubled by a dress.
The fact is I am a compulsive reader. Thirty-five cents' worth of Gold Medal Original will put me right to sleep. Or Perry Mason. But I'll read the ads in an old Paris-Match that has been used to wrap herring before I'll do without.

Somehow I completely identify with those comments.

2  
Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 10:29 pm
@BillRM,
Me too. At least I quit reading the labels on ketchup bottles.
BillRM

1  
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 02:17 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Hell I used to always have a paperback book in my pocket. Thank god for my two nooks one for backup in case the first one no longer work for some reason.

Sturgis

2  
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 02:33 pm
@roger,
I still read the majority of labels. It's good to know exactly what the manufacturer has put in there. Including their ideas of what can be passed off as 'all natural'.