Why do atheist try to convert Christians

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 11:45 am
@Setanta,
I am just playing around with you! You are correct I do not know you I just know how I perceive you at times.
That does not mean that my perception is correct!
0 Replies

hemingway

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 05:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
its not that aethists try to convert christians, i would say it was the complete opposite, a situation like this inevitably causes a discussion and conflicting views. sharing a conflicting view is not the same as trying to convert someone.

if they are doing what you say they do, its probably because they are incensed by your view point.
Ionus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:11 pm
@farmerman,
As usual you have missed everything but what ever serves your own interests . Typical atheist . What moral justification do atheists have to do the right thing ? If it feels good do it ? If it is hard then keep looking for the easy option ?
Ionus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:19 pm
@hemingway,
Quote:
its not that aethists try to convert christians
???? WTF ? The Romans, the French Revolutionaries, Nazis, Communists and many other notable atheists including individuals like Dawkins have persecuted and harassed religious people UNLESS they convert . Are you just imagining your sweet little self rather than examples from history ?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:59 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
What moral justification do atheists have to do the right thing ? If it feels good do it ? If it is hard then keep looking for the easy option ?

So you need a fear of some imagine god to make you do the moral thing and if you ever became convict beyond question that there was no god you would rape any woman you desire including your own daughters for example?

Only the fear of some big bad god and his punishments cause you to pretend to be a loving and caring man or father for that matter?
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 11:23 pm
@BillRM,
Really good point, Bill
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 02:36 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
My intention was to show that embarrassment was not required if they were either Buddhist or not and if one was Buddhist or not in any combination. I may or may not have succeeded in this.

Hard to say. I'm still trying to untangle your explanation. Wink

Quote:
To answer your point: I do feel that when someone e.g. a Buddhist acts in a way that is not Buddhist then for that period of time they are not Buddhist e.g. if a pacifist becomes temporarily violent then for as long as that lasts he is not a pacifist. If he renounces violence he can return to legitimately calling himself a pacifist once more.

You're free to play with the labels in any way you choose. No worries there. But don't be surprised when the people you're labelling have a different system.

Quote:
Not all Scotsmen enjoy haggis but all Buddhists meditate. It is a defining characteristic of being a Buddhist.

I was a Buddhist monk for a year in the Thai forest tradition and have investigated Korean Buddhism in detail since I got here in 1996. In my experience, many SE Asian monks meditate only during vassa, the Rains Retreat, and many Korean monks meditate only during 결재, the two 3-month periods of the year reserved for it. Most, not all. A lot of monks are in administrative positions, where meditation is not relevant to the work they do. By your formulation, a Buddhist monk is only a Buddhist monk when he is meditating.

And then there are the lay people, which come in a very wide variety of stripes. Quite a few of them don't meditate at all, but whether they do or not, your formulation still seems to suggest that they are Buddhist while they are meditating and otherwise not.

Finally...what does it take to be considered Buddhist by Buddhist philosophy or traditions or institutions? You make a pledge to take refuge in the Three Jewels: the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha. Then you're in like Flynn. No pledge to meditate. Not required.

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/three-jewels.html

Quote:
Taking the Triple Gem is generally considered to make one officially a Buddhist . Thus, in many Buddhist communities, a Pali chant, the Vandana Ti-sarana is often recited by both monks and lay people. It means the following:

Buddham saranam gacchāmi
I go for refuge in the Buddha
Dhammam saranam gacchāmi
I go for refuge in the Dharma
Sangham saranam gacchāmi
I go for refuge in the Sangha
The Japanese / Chinese version means something only slightly different:

I take refuge in the Buddha, wishing for all sentient beings to understand the great way and make the greatest vow.
I take refuge in the Dharma, wishing for all sentient beings to deeply delve into the Sutra Pitaka, gaining an ocean of knowledge.
I take refuge in the Sangha, wishing all sentient beings to lead the congregation in harmony, entirely without obstruction.
In both cases the central concepts are Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. The meaning given to those terms does differ though, depending on the precise lineage. The Pali version stands for Theravada Buddhism, where the Japanese/Chinese version exemplifies Mahayana Buddhism.

Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:22 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
So you need a fear of some imagine god to make you do the moral thing
What is the right thing under evolution ? Every dog for himself and every bitch ******* on the street corner to breed the widest variety of puppies .

I do not believe in God...I am agnostic .

What morality stops you from ******* your own daughters ?
igm

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 05:24 am
@FBM,
My post was originally in reply to this:

FBM wrote:

Sounds a lot like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy:

Quote:
Alice: All Scotsmen enjoy haggis.
Bob: My uncle is a Scotsman, and he doesn't like haggis!
Alice: Well, all true Scotsmen like haggis.

When the statement "all A are B" is qualified like this to exclude those A which are not B, this is a form of begging the question; the conclusion is assumed by the definition of "true A".

So I replied saying I was talking about the emotion of ‘embarrassment’ and not the point you’d brought up (above):

igm wrote:
My intention was to show that embarrassment was not required if they were either Buddhist or not and if one was Buddhist or not in any combination. I may or may not have succeeded in this.

You replied:

FBM wrote:
Hard to say. I'm still trying to untangle your explanation. Wink

This is why I said:
igm wrote:
I may or may not have succeeded in this.
Wink

I then said:

igm wrote:
To answer your point: I do feel that when someone e.g. a Buddhist acts in a way that is not Buddhist then for that period of time they are not Buddhist e.g. if a pacifist becomes temporarily violent then for as long as that lasts he is not a pacifist. If he renounces violence he can return to legitimately calling himself a pacifist once more.

You replied:

FBM wrote:
You're free to play with the labels in any way you choose. No worries there. But don't be surprised when the people you're labelling have a different system.

My point is you can’t have a violent pacifist but you can have a Scotsman that doesn’t like haggis. Also (taking onboard what you have said in your reply, I’ll reword it but it makes the same point), to reword my reply: Buddhists take Refuge and promise not to deliberately harm other sentient beings. At the time when they are deliberately harming sentient beings they are not technically Buddhist. Once they stop then they need to truly regret their non-Buddhist actions and take Refuge again. They are then once more Buddhists. It is not a defining characteristic of a Scotsman to like haggis but it is a defining characteristic for a Buddhist to take Refuge. If they go against their precepts then they are not Buddhist but can take Refuge again if they truly regret their previous non-Buddhist actions.

I found the information on Buddhism you posted interesting and informative but not really about the point I was trying to make. The reason is, meditation is a characteristic of Buddhism but may not be a defining characteristic and as you point out Refuge is a defining characteristic that can’t be argued with. I hope this makes my position somewhat clearer.
BillRM

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:33 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
What is the right thing under evolution ? Every dog for himself and every bitch ******* on the street corner to breed the widest variety of puppies .

Sorry that is not true of dogs or humans as we are both pack animals and our evolution is to place the pack welfare about ours not the other way around for the most part.
FBM

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:32 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
So I replied saying I was talking about the emotion of ‘embarrassment’ and not the point you’d brought up (above):

My point was that your point was based on the fallacy. You have yet to rectify that.

*skipping over the "you said/I said" stuff that we can all read in the thread*

igm wrote:
My point is you can’t have a violent pacifist but you can have a Scotsman that doesn’t like haggis.

You can have a pacifist who commits a violent act in the heat of the moment, or some such, and the person is no less committed to pacifism. You can have a Scotsman loyal to his nationality, yet who doesn't like haggis. If you insist that a pacifist never commit a violent act, that is, if you demand that s/he act always 100% in accordance to the ideal, then you'll never find a "true" anything. This is just adolescent black-or-white thinking. It's sloppy and lazy. There are innumerable shades between, but you want quick-and-easy categories so that you don't have to exert the effort to develop discernment. Reasoning, however, requires discernment, which requires discipline, which requires effort. If you're not interested in putting forth the effort, don't expect satisfactory results.

Quote:
Also (taking onboard what you have said in your reply, I’ll reword it but it makes the same point), to reword my reply: Buddhists take Refuge and promise not to deliberately harm other sentient beings. At the time when they are deliberately harming sentient beings they are not technically Buddhist.

Only by your unique labelling system. The Buddhist community would consider them Buddhists who are earnestly working through trial-and-error, just like every other Buddhist does. Trial and error implies that there will be error.

Quote:
Once they stop then they need to truly regret their non-Buddhist actions and take Refuge again. They are then once more Buddhists. It is not a defining characteristic of a Scotsman to like haggis but it is a defining characteristic for a Buddhist to take Refuge. If they go against their precepts then they are not Buddhist but can take Refuge again if they truly regret their previous non-Buddhist actions.

They are just as Buddhist as the Scotsman who doesn't like haggis. You've slyly and disingenuously shifted from your original assertion that the defining characteristic of Buddhists is meditation to that of whether or not they've taken refuge. Once you've taken refuge, your subsequent actions cannot erase the historical fact that you've taken refuge. If you make mistakes after having taken refuge, then you're simply an unskilled Buddhist; you're not automatically a non-Buddhist.

Quote:
I found the information on Buddhism you posted interesting and informative but not really about the point I was trying to make. The reason is, meditation is a characteristic of Buddhism but may not be a defining characteristic and as you point out Refuge is a defining characteristic that can’t be argued with. I hope this makes my position somewhat clearer.

Well, it certainly makes your ignorance of Buddhism a lot clearer, as well as your ignorance of logical debate. You admit that you were wrong in asserting that engaging in meditation is a defining characteristic of Buddhists, but that taking refuge is. However, taking refuge, once done, cannot be erased; it must be followed by a rununciation of the refuge. Meditation is temporal. You're either doing it or you're not. You seem to insist that any Buddhist who makes a mistake is no longer a Buddhist and must take refuge all over again. This is not the consensus among Buddhists. I'd recommend that, if you want to argue about Buddhism, you might consider educating yourself on the topic a bit beforehand.

There are a limted number of rules for which violation means expulsion from the Buddhist community, and they only apply to monks, not laypeople:

http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/vinaya.php

Quote:
1...Parajika 1 of 4 --Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)

1. Should any bhikkhu -- participating in the training and livelihood of the bhikkhus, without having renounced the training, without having declared his weakness -- engage in the sexual act, even with a female animal, he is defeated and no longer in communion.

2...Parajika 2 of 4 --Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)

2. Should any bhikkhu, in the manner of stealing, take what is not given from an inhabited area or from the wilderness -- just as when, in the taking of what is not given, kings arresting the criminal would flog, imprison, or banish him, saying, "You are a robber, you are a fool, you are benighted, you are a thief" -- a bhikkhu in the same way taking what is not given is defeated and no longer in communion.

3...Parajika 3 of 4 --Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)

3. Should any bhikkhu intentionally deprive a human being of life, or search for an assassin for him, or praise the advantages of death, or incite him to die (thus): "My good man, what use is this wretched, miserable life to you? Death would be better for you than life," or with such an idea in mind, such a purpose in mind, should in various ways praise the advantages of death or incite him to die, he also is defeated and no longer in communion.

4...Parajika 4 of 4 --Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)

4. Should any bhikkhu, without direct knowledge, boast of a superior human state, a truly noble knowledge and vision as present in himself, saying, "Thus do I know; thus do I see," such that regardless of whether or not he is cross-examined on a later occasion, he -- being remorseful and desirous of purification -- might say, "Friends, not knowing, I said I know; not seeing, I said I see -- vainly, falsely, idly," unless it was from over-estimation, he also is defeated and no longer in communion.

Furthermore, these rule violations do not entail that the defeated monk is no longer a Budhist; only that he is no longer a monk.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
How interesting, my careless use of the term, "embarrassment" triggered an interesting debate and contest going beyond igm's criticism. I agreed with him that my TERM, embarrassment, was unfortunate. But my point--which I failed to communicate--was not all that bad.
FBM's points (except for his occassional cruelty to igm) won the day in my judgement.
For me it doesn't matter who is right or who is wrong. Reality is what it is no matter who wins. Everyone has made some constructive contributions, well worth reading.
Sorry to sound like such a wus.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:12 pm
@JLNobody,
Oh, a side point: Buddhism throughout the world has taken on--due to its old age, I suspect, a decadence resulting in excessive institutionalization. It is in many cases not more than a bueaucratic way of life, a form without much psychospiritual substance. That's probably why one Japanese zen master said that Buddhism's move to America is a good thing. I don't think that's because America is so inherently or constitutionallly "exceptional" but that because it's circumstantially so young and hungry for spiritual experience, as opposed to doctrines.
Meditation IS Buddhism's central means to spiritual maturity, but that does not mean that it is its only defining characteristic. Igm's emphasis on the formal characteristics (especially the three refuges) is not wrong, indeed most Buddhists I know would agree with his perspective, but the Zen emphasis is always on existential realities rather than formal characteristics.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 01:03 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

igm wrote:

My point was that your point was based on the fallacy. You have yet to rectify that.

igm wrote:
My point is you can’t have a violent pacifist but you can have a Scotsman that doesn’t like haggis.

You can have a pacifist who commits a violent act in the heat of the moment, or some such, and the person is no less committed to pacifism.

You can have a Scotsman loyal to his nationality, yet who doesn't like haggis. If you insist that a pacifist never commit a violent act, that is, if you demand that s/he act always 100% in accordance to the ideal, then you'll never find a "true" anything. This is just adolescent black-or-white thinking. It's sloppy and lazy. There are innumerable shades between, but you want quick-and-easy categories so that you don't have to exert the effort to develop discernment. Reasoning, however, requires discernment, which requires discipline, which requires effort. If you're not interested in putting forth the effort, don't expect satisfactory results.

I don’t agree. If a pacifist becomes violent who's to say he will return to pacifism? As soon a he acts violently we have no way of knowing he’s a pacifist until he renounces violence, if he ever does, its impossible to know that he will. He is therefore not a pacifist during his violent act because he may continue to act in this way indefinitely. A Scotsman is a Scotsman because of his birth nothing can change that. My point was not based on the fallacy exemplified by the Scotsman example.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:20 pm
@JLNobody,
Not a wus at all. It's a sign of maturity and discipline to be able to agree to disagree without letting the discussion degenerate into selfish bickering, as so often happens on teh Interweebs. Wink

And I think that's where I stand with igm. Agree to disagree and move along. Smile
Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:29 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
we are both pack animals and our evolution is to place the pack welfare about ours
Is that why we spend all our time taking care of our old folk and have extended families every where you look with a very low divorce rate, no murder and no unwanted pregnancies ?
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:36 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
we are both pack animals

Key word {animals} and I think he got it right to a degree because if we were able to do what you implied, we would be angles so to speak.

Do not get me wrong because I wish it would be the way that you described!
Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
So how does he justify we are not amoral because we are a pack animal ? Does incest and eating your own children exist in pack animals ?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
Do you consider it trying to "convert" Christians, when someone (an atheist) simply corrects some of their knowledge? Because I think a lot of times atheists aren't trying to convert anyone, but they are simply objecting to erroneous statements (about various things including biblical history, natural history or physics).

I don't think that's an attempt to convert anyone, I think it's just an attempt to correct erroneous statements.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:54 pm
@Ionus,
I could try to reply but I might get it wrong because I can not understand your question completely! Would you please use a little more detail and I will give it my best shot tomorrow?