Why do atheist try to convert Christians

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
The video that I shared was not the one I was meaning to share but I seen no harm so I waited till now to add the correct video!LOL

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
I prefer this video

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:20 pm
@izzythepush,
That is some pretty deep stuff there especially the claim about the highest suicide rate, but it does seem to get the attention of those who like to think!
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:46 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I think it's a lot more common for Christians to try to convert atheists than the other way around.

Yes you are correct but do you think that it is possible for the tide to shift and go in the opposite direction? We already experienced the great flood of religion maybe it is time for it to reside?
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:10 am
@Krumple,
In light of what you’ve said. You are hoping for significant success in a maximum of one lifetime. According to my understanding it can take very much longer.

To accomplish the kind of realization that would be noticed by others in one lifetime would probably be only accomplished by one person in a generation if that. But when one is reborn although one has no memories of previous Buddhist practice one has a tendency to view the world in the way one viewed it in the previous life in this sense it is an innate quality that follows one to one’s new rebirth. In this way the Bodhisattva progresses in the quest to remove the root cause of suffering by realizing the true nature of reality (this could be called the realization of Ultimate Truth).

If belief in rebirth is dismissed then everything you have said I’d say is pretty much correct and there are many ways to make this single life worthwhile and meaningful. The problem is if the mind cannot be destroyed by death then only the understanding one gained in the previous life will be able to act as a springboard for the new life.

This is how I understand the aim of Buddhism. Your reasons for needing a teacher I say were correct. Here is someone else apparently saying the same thing about how long it can take to achieve Buddhahood in the Mahayana (the Bodhisattva’s path). There are quicker paths but they are more dangerous and very few put in the commitment required.
-----------
http://www.lightwatcher.com/ebooks/kcrbcaintro.pdf
“The king’s way of generating bodhicitta is the least courageous of the three, the boatman’s way is more courageous, and the shepherd’s way is the most courageous of all. Practitioners of ordinary capacity, those who follow the way of the king, will reach perfect enlightenment within ‘thirty-three countless aeons’; those of mediocre capacity, who follow the way of the boatman, will reach perfect enlightenment within ‘seven countless aeons’; while those of highest capacity, who follow the way of the shepherd, will reach perfect enlightenment within ‘three countless aeons’.”
---------------------------
There are qualified teachers but they all expect that if the student is to gain success it will depend on how much of each life that student will sacrifice to the practice to gain subtle progress from life to life. Given this it is not surprising that you can’t find any signs or few signs of realization in those who are, or call themselves Buddhists.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:15 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

That is some pretty deep stuff there especially the claim about the highest suicide rate, but it does seem to get the attention of those who like to think!

It is my favourite film of all time, by the same guy that did The Exorcist. All of it is available on you tube, but I think it's in about 7 or 8 bits. It's a real mixture of comedy and horror like American Werewolf In London. Although the horror is what man is capable of, not the supernatural.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:33 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
BS The Greek aesthetics used reason well before the advent of the dark age and the Renaissance recovery.
And what is your point ?

Quote:
The questions of 'where we came from' is more of response to scientific curiosity than the inadequate 'campfire stories' of many religion.
Science has inadequate camp fire stories of its own . Multiple universes, the creation by the big bang... how are they different from a religion ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:36 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
I think that science does answer the "big questions of life" but as far as holding my hand or patting me on the back, I don't need that.
Oh really ! How was life made ? What existed before the big bang ? As for holding your hand, I dont care if religion does not work for you.. you are not a universal yardstick . It does work for many others .

Quote:
People are fully capable of coping with reality if they break through all that poor habitual tendencies that religion has infused it's followers with.
You need more knowledge of psychology then you wouldnt say silly things like that . People are NOT fully capable of coping with reality .
Ionus

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:43 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Because they claim to know more about the ultimate nature of the universe than scientists. They should, therefore, be held to higher standards if we are to believe them.
Those standards should not be in the field of science anymore than we should judge science by religious standards .

Quote:
Which religion?
The one that has all the well meaning but difficult rules, where there is life after death and life has a purpose rather than a random collection of accidental waves that are occasionally particles .

Quote:
That's why blind faith is at the core of every religion.
At what point did you abandon inspiration and genius ? Does science only work by one fact at a time ? At no stage is there ever a great leap forward ?
Krumple

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:35 pm
@Ionus,
Krumple wrote:
I think that science does answer the "big questions of life" but as far as holding my hand or patting me on the back, I don't need that.

Ionus wrote:
Oh really ! How was life made ?

More than likely life is the byproduct of a series of events. These events have been researched and we know how to naturally make RNA using base chemicals and a very simple process that is not unlikely in earths climate. All you really need is some water, the right chemicals mixing, then the water evaporates and is exposed to the sun, then hydrated again and the result can produce RNA which is the building block for DNA. A self replicating molecule. Is this right? We don't know for sure but it is a very convincing theory, well if you are not a firm dogmatist that is.

Ionus wrote:

What existed before the big bang ?

Don't know, but nothing dictates there couldn't be. There are a lot of alternative theories. My personal theory is that the big bang was actually nothing special at all. Since the universe that we see, the matter which makes up the universe is less than 1% of the total universe. In other words what we are is nothing more than a residue of a very minor event. But those who want to be dogmatists insist that the universe must be significant.

Ionus wrote:

As for holding your hand, I dont care if religion does not work for you.. you are not a universal yardstick . It does work for many others .

Here is the thing. It actually doesn't work for them. They believe that it does but the reality is, they are no different than non believers. They assume their morality, they choose their political views. But they assume they come from some man made concept they named god.

Krumple wrote:
People are fully capable of coping with reality if they break through all that poor habitual tendencies that religion has infused it's followers with.

Ionus wrote:

You need more knowledge of psychology then you wouldnt say silly things like that . People are NOT fully capable of coping with reality .

Sure they are, but I understand that there are cultural phenomena such as religious dogma that tends to disrupt a person's ability to cope with reality. If we were actually taught from a young age how to cope with reality instead of filling young people's heads with absolute nonsense then as adults they might be more grounded in reality.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:01 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Those standards should not be in the field of science anymore than we should judge science by religious standards .

Logic isn't restricted to science, though I'll grant you that it's not a major component of religion. Wink

Quote:
The one that has all the well meaning but difficult rules, where there is life after death and life has a purpose rather than a random collection of accidental waves that are occasionally particles .

Well meaning? Isn't the road to hell paved with something along those lines? Collapsing wave functions can be demonstrated, which, for me, adds a lot to their credibility. Wink

Quote:
At what point did you abandon inspiration and genius ? Does science only work by one fact at a time ? At no stage is there ever a great leap forward ?

I haven't abandoned anything except a great leap backwards to the Bronze Age way of thinking. Wink

Inspiration and genius must be verified with evidence. Nobody needs to take somebody's word for it based on such fallacious reasons as authority and tradition. You've either got evidence or you've got a pie-in-the-sky, self-aggrandizing delusion. I know this body is going to break down someday and return to dust. I'm not dismayed. That's nature. Knowing and accepting that natural fact helps me appreciate the value of life. Fantasies about some dream of immortality only detract from it and inspire people to blow up themselves and "infidels" to get their spot in this imaginary bliss. No thanks. I'm satisfied with reality.

That said, do what makes you feel good. As long as you're not Crusading in my neighborhood, it's no skin off of my dick. Good luck. Smile
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 08:45 am
I have been doing a little research on Allen watts and have found that he has many videos on YouTube that deal with religion. I found this one to be interesting!

0 Replies

Lovee-4ever

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 08:32 pm
@maxdancona,
The reasons we (Christians) try to convert atheist is because we don't want satan to win and we as christians feel as though everyone should know of God's love and mercy. Athiests don't believe in anything like that, so how can they convert us with the same intentions if they're not trying to get us to believe in anything?
Chights47

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:14 pm
@Lovee-4ever,
Assuming that satan and god and all that is actually true, why does satan even exist if your god is so loving and merciful? Billions upon billions of people (according to your religion) are being tortured for all eternity just because they didn't know about, or accept something that has pretty much no evidence to support any of it's claims. I don't try to convert anyone to anything, I just try and get people to actually think about the claims in which they are ignorantly asserting. If your god's real, then he's a piece of crap douchebag and I won't have anything to do with him.
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:33 am
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:
If your god's real, then he's a piece of crap douchebag and I won't have anything to do with him.

Ha ! ! ! LMAO . . .

Can i get an "Amen!" from the congregation?
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:01 am
@Setanta,
well, its good to see that this thread is full of love and peace.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:03 am
I've got an ad at the bottom of the page for Living Mindfully, Living Peacefully at the Warner Theater in DC.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 05:54 am
@Setanta,
Obviously its from some Christian group that wishes to have everyone live life more abundantly.

naaah, Ever since I got my Sundays to myself when I was a kid, I never looked back. Now in PA, they are even gonna open hunting season on Sundays
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 05:58 am
@farmerman,
Cool . . .

What's the bag limit on Christians?
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:01 am
@Setanta,
we prefer the term "harvest"
0 Replies